Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nice used guns at good prices and less important things like car insurance and doctor bills keep getting in the way of me buying one. Still planning to for sure though. A .40 version that took Glock mags would be awesome, the longer barrel could probably get it up to .44 Magnum revolver power level.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I load 45acp, and 9mm. Therefore .40 has no place in my life! I wish it were wiped from the earth! So, thinking on a 9mm pcc

Boolit Master

HOGWASH! Hatred of an inanimate object is simple ignorance.

I picked up a PC40 after a long wait. Its a great lil gun. All those cryin for a 10mm or those claiming the uselessness of the 40 but acknowledging the performance of the 10mm are equally ignorant of what they speak.

Just running a half dozen loads I had on hand for my 40’s thru the PC’s 16” tube revealed velocity and energy figures surpassing the hottest 10mm hand guns!!!

I too wish to see a 10in the PC carbine but feel it will not happen simply because as a blow back the 10is a handfull. Heck most complain of the weight of a 9mm!!! How much do ya think a 10mm would have to weigh!?!?!? Not to mention should they re design and make a 10work the next complaints would be too costly. Some folks simply can not be satisfied! I do think a 45 will be a realty sooner than later.

If your wantin a 10 and appreciate its ballistics take the time to learn and see that the 40 in a carbine is NO JOKE!! If not, enjoy your lil 9mm and swim in its mediocrity.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I bought one about 3 months ago. Happened to shoot it yesterday. Off hood of truck and a pillow at 67 yds put 43 out of 45 in 3 different 3" circles Missed witht the first two, hadn't shot in a while. Winchester 124 gr 1200 fps NATO fmj, Federal American Eagle 124 gr fmj the ones I missed with, Sellier and Bellot 124 JSP the best, one 2" ragged hole. 27 out of 30 in 4" circle at 100 yds. Killed 100 lb hog 60-70 yds the first time out hunting with it about a month ago. I absolutely love this gun. Shot some cast loads but got some leading, decent accuracy though, and happen to be loading another batch now, 125 gr RNFP powder coated, 6.7 gr HS-6 to 1.15 OAL and 1120 fps. Got 6 ruger 17 rd mags. Outstanding weapon.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I bought one about 3 months ago. Happened to shoot it yesterday. Off hood of truck and a pillow at 67 yds put 43 out of 45 in 3 different 3" circles Missed witht the first two, hadn't shot in a while. Winchester 124 gr 1200 fps NATO fmj, Federal American Eagle 124 gr fmj the ones I missed with, Sellier and Bellot 124 JSP the best, one 2" ragged hole. 27 out of 30 in 4" circle at 100 yds. Killed 100 lb hog 60-70 yds the first time out hunting with it about a month ago. I absolutely love this gun. Shot some cast loads but got some leading, decent accuracy though, and happen to be loading another batch now, 125 gr RNFP powder coated, 6.7 gr HS-6 to 1.15 OAL and 1120 fps. Got 6 ruger 17 rd mags. Outstanding weapon.
    My PC 9 shoots about a 1 3/4” group at 100 yards now that I have settled it in with about 10,000 rounds of a Miech 135 grn rf sized to .358 PCed over 3.8 grn of bullseye it shoots amazing I’ve only had 4 failures in my rifle and all 4 were with the 2-300 rounds of factory ammo that my buddies shot in it. I shoot my PC9 probably 4-5 times a week

The .40 S&W is a 38-40 by any other name, therefore nothing to sneeze at. I finally handled the Ruger the other day and I liked the feel and sights. I dont see the need for takedown and it is ugly but I would own one now that I've checked one out. It wont replace the M1 Carbine in my heart and mind, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Do you fellas think a break-in diet of jackets or fire lapping is a good idea for this barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Do you fellas think a break-in diet of jackets or fire lapping is a good idea for this barrel?
    About $20 worth of cheap Russian steel case FMJ should smooth out the barrel nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Only issues so far with mine have been magazine associated. KCI mags that have worked fine in my Glocks dont do as well in this Carbine.

I cleaned it real good before I ever shot it and did not find the bore rough at all.

CW

Well I just ordered one! Camo version and a 33rd glock mag. Hopefully the mag works well in it. I’m considering trying a drum out too but need to decide which flavor. I’ll pick up a box of FMJ to let it know who’s boss and then switch to lead and see what works.
    I’m wondering if a slow powder would help make this rifle happy, or if it would just end up pushing them too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    HOGWASH! Hatred of an inanimate object is simple ignorance.

I picked up a PC40 after a long wait. Its a great lil gun. All those cryin for a 10mm or those claiming the uselessness of the 40 but acknowledging the performance of the 10mm are equally ignorant of what they speak.

Just running a half dozen loads I had on hand for my 40’s thru the PC’s 16” tube revealed velocity and energy figures surpassing the hottest 10mm hand guns!!!

I too wish to see a 10in the PC carbine but feel it will not happen simply because as a blow back the 10is a handfull. Heck most complain of the weight of a 9mm!!! How much do ya think a 10mm would have to weigh!?!?!? Not to mention should they re design and make a 10work the next complaints would be too costly. Some folks simply can not be satisfied! I do think a 45 will be a realty sooner than later.

If your wantin a 10 and appreciate its ballistics take the time to learn and see that the 40 in a carbine is NO JOKE!! If not, enjoy your lil 9mm and swim in its mediocrity.

CW
    My gripe with .40 is simply a brass sorting issue. I have 9, I have 45, and the 40 ends up just confusing me and nesting in my other brass. It seems like a good compromise between the two cartridges, but since I have the others, it doesn’t really make sense for me. Now, if I only had one pistol then maybe, but meh, not even then. Anyway, for those that love it, congrats they make the pc in 40 just for YOU!

Boolit Master

GOOD DEAL DREW!!

Being its a blow back. You will find SOME heavy loads are a problem. And that problem will be cases torn in half!! Its a blow back and not allot will stop that bolt from jetting reward!! When the pressure of a given load is too high and the bolt starts its rearward travel it can tear and can show a tell tale ring just above the web of the case. This does NOT mean you cannot shoot heavy loads. It means you need to choose powder with proper pressure curves.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    GOOD DEAL DREW!!

Being its a blow back. You will find SOME heavy loads are a problem. And that problem will be cases torn in half!! Its a blow back and not allot will stop that bolt from jetting reward!! When the pressure of a given load is too high and the bolt starts its rearward travel it can tear and can show a tell tale ring just above the web of the case. This does NOT mean you cannot shoot heavy loads. It means you need to choose powder with proper pressure curves.

CW
    Interesting. I’m trying to conceptualize how that works. Is it because the bolt starts moving back, letting the case become unsupported while the chamber pressure is still too high for the brass web to handle?

Can anybody who owns one of these tell me the height of the front sight above the bore centerline? Buddy offered to send me one of his cans to try on it but I won’t take him up on it if it’s going to block the iron sights.

Boolit Master

From top of barrel to top of sight (not the wings on each side of sight) is 3/4"" or very close. Eyeballing with a tape measure.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Interesting. I’m trying to conceptualize how that works. Is it because the bolt starts moving back, letting the case become unsupported while the chamber pressure is still too high for the brass web to handle?
    Nothing what so ever to do with chamber support.

Its because the brass is sealing to the walls of the chamber because pressure curve is still near max. The case is attempting to be pulled from chamber at same time.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    From top of barrel to top of sight (not the wings on each side of sight) is 3/4"" or very close. Eyeballing with a tape measure.
    thanks! That’s higher than I’d expected. But I really need from the centerline, do you mind measuring the barrel diameter for me?

Well I haven’t even shot it yet and it’s possibly my most favorite rifle already. Only thing I’d like to have seen on it was downward or forward eject but then it would probably lose some elegant simplicity.
    I tore it all down (not trigger pack) and soaked everything in solvent. Was able to reassemble easily without even needing directions, a good sign. Love the built in rubber bolt buffer. Love the lockup adjustment. Love the sights. Love the safety, threaded muzzle, left side bolt handle option, stock spacers, digicam. Pretty sweet piece.
    Now I need to find the “just right” bug out sack for it. Anyone try the Hazard4 plan B packs? Specifically the Grayman version. Attractive pack and subdued tacticoolness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDFAFAC5-DCB7-4FC8-B77E-A4AB750153A3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	246491

Boolit Master

I LIKE IT!!

BTW, Mine ejects forward of my 180.

CW

Got to play at the range today. Broke it in with some old factory ammo that dude had from his dads basement. Shot okay but had a few flyers that were like wow way way off. Like I’ve never seen something fly so far off. Maybe 20’ off at 40 yd. but fed well except with some TC shapes that seemed to be nosing down and catching the ramp.

Edit: went to another range today where friends were shooting. I had to do something else so I left the carbine with a few mags of FMJ and said they were welcome to try it out. Well there were some newer shooters and generally excited other people who eagerly took the chance and even had their own ammo. So the rifle had a hot barrel all day, getting broken in proper and I didn’t even have to do it, or provide ammo! Everyone loved it and one guy even changed his mind on his next purchase to find a pcc instead. Didn’t notice any fliers either, so I guess we will be switching to lead pills now and see how she likes that.

One funny thing is the sound this rifle makes. Pretty unique, and enough so that a fellow on another range heard it and came over to see what it was. We should be getting it suppressed this week so that will change things further.
    All told, this is a great fun plinker
    Last edited by Drew P; 08-11-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast