Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

Boolit Master

" Once the initial frenzy is gone there may very well not be too much interest in it. "

I have zero interest in it now.

Banned
    That is exactly why I left it still in the hands of our local gun dealer. Way overpriced for what it is.

Banned

I don't agree. If there is not enough interest in pistol caliber carbines today then highpoint would have been out of business years ago. The demand for pistol caliber rifles is higher then its ever been. Theres new ones coming out all the time and I'm sure that's why ruger got back into it. Years ago when Bill Ruger ran the show he came out with many off the wall guns like the hawkeye revolvers and #1 rugers and the first pc's because he thought they were cool and was willing to go out on a limb and hope others felt the same and in some cases really didn't even care. Today its run by bean counters and id have to believe they did a lot of marketing research to find out if there was a real demand before they even started designing this gun. I can still recall when he brought out the #1 and all the naysayers laughing and asking who would ever buy a single shot rifle in modern times especially one that cost more then a repeater. Well I think he did pretty well with those.

I think just the demand there was for the originals on the used gun racks lately showed there certainly is a demand for one. Id bet they sell 10 of them for every one of the newer 44 mag semi auto carbines there selling today. Or for that matter there lever actions. Personaly I hope I'm wrong. Id love to see ruger flood the market with them and find there not selling and drastically reduce the price to get rid of them.

As to the price ill say this. even at 500 bucks there a good deal. Ive seen the originals go used for more then that and there not take down, use proprietary magazines, aren't threaded and theres no high capacity mags even available for them. Even take a high point at 350 bucks. pay a gunsmith to thread the barrel. Try to find high capacity mags for it other then 9s and even those are only 20 round. Then take your 2 year old high point to a gun shop and see what its worth on trade. Money wise your better off to pay the 150 bucks more for the ruger because its going to hold its value much better and is eventually have a bigger aftermarket parts selection and like I said it takes down, comes threaded, and uses readily available glock mags. Sure theres other choices out there but most of them cost a lot more. to me the only completion it really has are the 500 dollar ARs that psa is making.

500 bucks is NOT a lot to spend on a gun today. Its about what most black handguns go for and less then most (other then entry level) bolt guns go for and less then about all the lever gun pistol caliber chambered guns go for and less then any decent revolver goes for. Now like I said at 750 those dealer that are crooked and raping people can keep them.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-01-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Yep. The demand is high right now. People are figuring out how fun and economical they are to shoot. And there are a lot of PCC specific matches going on these days.

Banned
    Just goes to show that there is a sucker born every minute. My feelings is that someone would have to be a real chump to plop down the close to $700 retail of these take apart crudely made ***'s. Sure the Hipoint is cheap and the price reflects it too. Take the mini 14 it still commands over $1000.00 retail for something that isn't that accurate. Remember when it was one of the assault rifles and Police Departments carried these instead of AR-15's? I do.

Just to be sure we are talking about the new take apart Ruger rifle in 9mm? Right? Consider what it actually cost to make that gun. I'll bet it would be in the neighborhood of $150 or less which means its a $300 gun and not a close to $700 gun.

Banned

As usual, a post that is factually inaccurate and provides no useful information. It is not a $700 gun, and it runs just fine. If I did not have my two Berettas, I would already have a couple. Still might.

Banned
    jmort,

please do correct me. Price? i was quoted slightly less than $700 retail. So, since you are so informed what is the dealer retail price supposed to be? After all I wasn't trying to provide inaccurate information. Since you are so concerned with useful information please do try to provide some in your posts instead of criticizing others. I don't mind being criticized when someone is willing to provide in this case the actual dealer retail price.

I personally wouldn't purchase any ruger product other than their 22 cal heavy barrel target pistol and this is my opinion. Others can purchase what they wish. After examination of the Ruger that I held in my hands I find it lacking in basic engineering but then again it my opinions. I find it slightly better than the Hi point of which a own a 45acp carbine with the larger hi capacity mags. The Hi point is worth roughly $250-300 new and the Ruger in MY opinion might be worth as much as $400
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-02-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Any gun shop I've been to has been charging between $500 and $550 for the Ruger 9mm carbine, and any place I've seen online is the same (with the exception of gunbroker).

Sounds like the consensus has already been established that any gun shop charging $700 for this gun is full of thieves.

Banned
    Please do post the exact model so I can check this out and have a conversation with my local gun shop. it wouldn't be the first time I have seen excessive prices at the shop I frequent sometimes.

Banned

I guess I wouldn't even call them thieves. Lots of newly introduced cars and trucks sell for over sticker. If someones stupid enough or impatient enough to pay over inflated prices I wouldn't call the dealer a thief. come and offer me twice what one of my guns are worth and I'm going to sell it to you in a heartbeat. Does that make me a thief? Personaly id about bet when all the hoopla settles down your going to see those rugers at less then 500 bucks. Is that a bargain? Not in my opinion but I think many rugers like there mini 14s, #1s and just about all the guns they produce are a bit overpriced. Whos fault is that? the consumers. Seems some have bought into the nonsense that rugers are an upscale gun. When in fact there the fords and chevs of the gun world. Put a new 77 on the table and a new model 70 win and offer me one for free and see which one I walk away with.

Banned

The market on these is aound $500 to $550 as stated above
    There is high demand, but that is the market price

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I guess I wouldn't even call them thieves. Lots of newly introduced cars and trucks sell for over sticker. If someones stupid enough or impatient enough to pay over inflated prices I wouldn't call the dealer a thief. come and offer me twice what one of my guns are worth and I'm going to sell it to you in a heartbeat. Does that make me a thief? Personaly id about bet when all the hoopla settles down your going to see those rugers at less then 500 bucks. Is that a bargain? Not in my opinion but I think many rugers like there mini 14s, #1s and just about all the guns they produce are a bit overpriced. Whos fault is that? the consumers. Seems some have bought into the nonsense that rugers are an upscale gun. When in fact there the fords and chevs of the gun world. Put a new 77 on the table and a new model 70 win and offer me one for free and see which one I walk away with.
    Good point Lloyd.

The gun shop I obtained the somewhat incorrect price from it would seem also was pushing the Kel Tec 9mm folding rifle for almost $600 and one needed to get on the "list" to buy one. Your more than correct in that some will post above retail prices and they seem to get these inflated prices from those willing to be first on the block with the new toy. The marketing phrase that these will be extremely hard to get and keep in stock has people willing to dole out that extra cash to buy on the spot.

Its a shame that people on this forum can stoop to the point of criticizing someone about a mistake but not be willing to offer the correct retail price. Everyone here in MY opinion has something to add to a thread if they are posting a reply. It might have been better to say I belive your mistaken the retail price is supposed to be $XXX instead of what was posted .

I mistakenly posted what I was quoted by a gun shop and for this mistake I am sorry as I thought it was the correct price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Maybe you're right, they aren't thieves. I guess any time I see one place charging a significant amount more than others, I immediately lose any interest in dealing with them. But, that is capitalism I suppose, and vastly better than the alternative.

I will probably be jaded for quite some time specifically by Cheaper than Dirt, and the way they jacked up prices on magazines and green tip ammunition when shootings happened or bans loomed. But, that was a different scenario anyways.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe I missed it in all the BS....has anyone measured the trigger pull and worked one. I had a Camp 9 and got rid of it because the trigger was horrible.

BTW anyone who pays close to MSRP is a fool when it is easy to beat that price by spending 5 minutes on the internet.

If the triggers are decent (and supposedly they are like the 10/22 - so I hope they can be similarly tuned) I am buying one. Lloyd summed up why. And if they can be converted from 9mm to .40 S&W, I will be a very happy camper.
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Fact over fiction

I haven't read through the whole thread so if I may ask - what accuracy can one expect from these PCC carbines?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

The Truth About Guns has reported a five inch group being 3/4" at about 59 yards.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...er-pc-carbine/

I got an email notification from KyGunGo that they were back in stock for $510.00 shipped, but out of stock again by the time I clicked.

http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?...gn=Notify%20Me

By the way, if they HAD been in stock I'd be ordering one right now. Electric88's link to the Truth About Guns article seems to confirm what others have figured out, which is that the gun was definitely designed with easy caliber conversions coming in the future. The more I learn, the more I want one.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast