RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    The Truth About Guns has reported a five inch group being 3/4" at about 59 yards.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...er-pc-carbine/
    I read through the report and didn't see any 5 inch groups. I saw one 5 shot group that measured under an inch but nothing bigger than around 2 inches shown in the report.

Ooops, I meant to say 5 shot group under an inch. Good catch

Banned

it wasn't just them. More places then not jacket up there prices. Even I did. I sold an ar10 I bought new for 900 bucks to a guy who offered me 1300 bucks for. 600 dollar ARs were selling for a grand around here and that's if you could even find one. today you can put one together for 400 bucks or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Maybe you're right, they aren't thieves. I guess any time I see one place charging a significant amount more than others, I immediately lose any interest in dealing with them. But, that is capitalism I suppose, and vastly better than the alternative.

I will probably be jaded for quite some time specifically by Cheaper than Dirt, and the way they jacked up prices on magazines and green tip ammunition when shootings happened or bans loomed. But, that was a different scenario anyways.

Banned

street price is around 500 bucks but retail is probably close to the 700 6bg posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    As usual, a post that is factually inaccurate and provides no useful information. It is not a $700 gun, and it runs just fine. If I did not have my two Berettas, I would already have a couple. Still might.

Banned

they are the same trigger as a 1022 so aftermarket triggers are already available but add a 100 or more trigger to a 550 dollar rifle and its starting to get ridiculous again. That said even a out of the box 1022 has a fair trigger when compared to some of the ar15s ive owned so it would probably be good enough for me right out of the box for what id use it for. It aint a target rifle and doesn't pretend to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Maybe I missed it in all the BS....has anyone measured the trigger pull and worked one. I had a Camp 9 and got rid of it because the trigger was horrible.

BTW anyone who pays close to MSRP is a fool when it is easy to beat that price by spending 5 minutes on the internet.

If the triggers are decent (and supposedly they are like the 10/22 - so I hope they can be similarly tuned) I am buying one. Lloyd summed up why. And if they can be converted from 9mm to .40 S&W, I will be a very happy camper.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-03-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I think the $700+ price tag was at a California gun shop? That wouldn't surprise me.

Edit.... Yes. $749.00 in Elk Grove CA

Just that fact this firearm has already generated 11 pages of discussion shows it to be interesting.

Personally, I believe the 9mm blow back design is as simple an action you can make......other then the .22 blowback. They are close to the same. Just the 9 is center fired and a little beefier. I would have to see it below $400 ($400 tops) before I would be interested. I agree that Ruger only has about $125 to $150 cost in every one they make.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 02-04-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Banned
    Grab-a-gun lists them for less than $500 when they are in stock.

I see there are MANY YouTube videos out for the PC Carbine. I have to say it really doesn't look that bad. I would have to think that some of the negative commenters wouldn't buy anything Ruger to begin with. Haven't watched all the vids yet, but nothing really derogatory has been pointed out so far. It has sparked my interest.

Boolit Master

If they make one in stainless I’m in
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master
    a simple lightweight bolt action carbine with beretta 92 or 951 or similar single stack magazines like the remington 581 i converted to 9x19 and used destroyer mags on would sell like hot cakes for $300, if any reputable gun maker was smart enuf to use low cost manufacturing techniques married to traditional styling. they are marketing to 12 year olds with the "cutting edge" cheese grater "modern styling" ****, while the gun money is still in the hands of grumpy old men.

w eare willing to buy plastic and aluminum, just not overpriced butt-ugly plastic and aluminum.

KyGunCo's in-stock notification system must be wonky. I've received two notifications in the past week, clicking on the second one almost instantly, and they still showed out of stock.

I got mine a week ago, and so far it has been great. I already performed a few modifications:

1. The front sight is nearly invisible on a black target. I spent about $3.00 at my local Ace Hardware and now have it upgraded with some bright orange hobby enamel. This is a definite improvement. I am already looking at adapting an AR-15 style Hi-Viz or Tritium front sight post. For now, this will work.

2. I mounted a Burris Fastfire III red dot. Mounted all the way forward scout-style, you get good visibility and peripheral vision. It is not low enough to cowitness, but the white bar is close enough to serve as a rear sight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbine2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	220708

3. I tried to mount a Streamlight TLR-1HL, but the little picatinny rail lacks the necessary clearance at the rear. Rather than exchange it for a 1-cell handgun light, I opted to modify the stock. With the barrel still mounted, it's easy to clamp the barrel flutes into the milling vise and remove about .250" from the back of the rail. I also opted to run a very light pass over the top to remove the mold marks. Now any full-sized rifle light will fit just fine.

Name:	carbine1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	220709

4. As seen in the above picture, I also wanted to use both a light and a sling simultaneously. This required that I also move the front sling swivel back 1.00". I machined a little Aluminum block to fit snugly inside the stock and tapped it all the way through for a 10-32 Uncle Mike's swivel stud. Now an M1 Carbine GI sling mounts nicely and doesn't smack the light controls when shouldered for carrying. The original hole is plugged with a brass rivet held in with a dab of RTV.

Name:	carbine3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	220710

If you mount a sling, be sure to purchase the GT sling swivels and not the Uncle Mike's. The rear sling stud is molded into the stock, and there is too much radius for a new Uncle Mike's to close all the way. Get the GT in 1" or 1.25" and you will have no problems. It's also all-metal with no plastic knob.

The PC Carbine seems to run just fine with G17 and G26 magazines. I'm going to try a few others as well. I ran 100 rounds of random ammo, including some skinny, long hollowpoints through it with zero issues. The takedown is very repeatable and there is zero play between barrel and receiver.

The next task will be sewing up a nice carrying case for it. So far, it appears to fit in a 3-racket tennis case, a small musical instrument case intended for DJ mixers, and the long DeWalt sawzall case. It will not fit in a standard day pack without sticking out. Some of the longer Pelican cases should also fit, as would a soft mandolin case.

I'm also going to experiment with some loads. I'm thinking I'll focus on two of the slower powders that Lyman #49 and Hodgson list for 9mm - Blue Dot and Longshot. I hope to pick up 200fps+ over standard pistol velocity if I load carefully. We'll see how it goes.

Arclight
    Last edited by arclight; 05-19-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Boolit Master

Following with interest. I really like the idea of PC carbines. Cheap and easy to reload, fun to shoot, hits nearly as hard as a 357 revolver. I bought a Hi Point 9mm a while back. Was pleasantly surprised with its accuracy at 100 yards (maybe 3"? with cast boolits), but still don't like the feel of it, chunky, maybe heavier than it needs to be, terrible trigger, and "springy" sounding when you shoot. I thought the Ruger might be a bit better, but seems like it is a little on the heavier side as well. Accuracy reports are pretty impressive though! I think the weight is right on the Keltec, but the cheek weld is a bit off for me. Takedown/folding features are interesting, but I haven't really had a need for it, maybe I would find a use if I owned one. An AR pistol with arm brace may be what I'm looking for, but just haven't quite come across that "perfect" PC carbine yet...
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 05-26-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks kind of like a chubby Savage A-17.

Boolit Master
    I ordered mine almost three months ago from Brownells. Still have not even got a shipping date. I was able to get it for $444.42 to the FFL. That will run me another 20 bucks. Starting to get a little P O ed at Brownells. They said it would ship the week I ordered it. Then it was the following week. Then end of month and so on. I have had the chance to shoot one and really liked it. Being a reloader I think it is a great little gun. I really hope it ships soon.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

i'm a ruger fan,but this piece is ugly,and i'm more inclined toward the JR carbine ,better looking and really accurate.

Boolit Master
    We had nothing but issues with the JR carbine. We had to keep forward pressure on the mag to get the JR to feed. Just not for me. For me its the Ruger.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I picked up one of these carbines recently. I haven't had a chance
    to run it yet. Hope to tomorrow if I'm lucky. With gun in hand I'm
    very impressed with it's overall build quality, control set up, and the take
    down mechanics, and feel. The barrel stub has 4 lugs that join into their mortise.
    There is an adjustment ring that controls fitment. You can adjust this
    ring to where there is a firm engagement of the lugs when you turn
    the barrel in. And the adjustment stays that way upon repeated take
    downs. My trigger measures right at 5 pounds. Not a bad out of the box
    trigger. I can shoot it. I like that I was able to get a precise length of
    pull with the spacers on the stock. We'll see.

People that can shoot like this carbine. Taran Butler and Corrine Mosher -- "shoot's flat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwhhBVkWO-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ8mj4L_1gk

Last edited by doctorxring; 05-29-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I don’t remember what my original reply to this thread was. I’m assuming it had something to do w/ all the problems I’ve had w/ recent production Rugers. So I decided to build a 9mm AR. Didn’t even need a dedicated Glock lower. I may apply for a SBR stamp so I can put a real buttstock on it.

I got one this weekend and took it out today. A hundred rounds of cast 124 gr TC bullets on top of 3.2 gr of Clays. Tried the factory sights and the best thing that I can say, well not very good. I have a cheap dot sight mounted it and the fun began. After zeroing it at 50 yards it was grouping less than 2”, no hiccups while using G17 mags and back to the range tomorrow with a couple 32 rounders and a whole lot more ammo. When I went to clean it a wet patch followed by 2 dry patches with no fouling visible. This thing is going to keep me casting well into the future. Way too much fun and I paid less that $500 OTD.
    Last edited by JMax; 05-28-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast