Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Hard is Federal Magnum Shot when melted for casting?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the federal promo packs are top gun hulls not Rio hulls, primers, and wads.
    stuff done went and changed, and they figured out a way to cheapen their promo [and premium] rounds even further.
    Federal anything is out of the clay target shooting game for anyone even remotely serious about it.
    no, just bought some a couple months ago, the value packs are rio's. and while they break targets, they have a harsher recoil than the same shell federal made.

Boolit Bub
    I tested a slab from my magnum shot melt with my Lee tester. It comes up around 12 BHN but I have reason to believe my tester reads a bit low as linotype tests around 19 and I believe it actually should be 22.

Jeff

Banned

like I said you need to keep up.

the new style are top gun hulls with brass washed steel heads.[paper base and everything]
    I have both types sitting right here [like in my hand as I type this] fired and unfired.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    like I said you need to keep up.

the new style are top gun hulls with brass washed steel heads.[paper base and everything]
    I have both types sitting right here [like in my hand as I type this] fired and unfired.
    you did notice i said the walmart 4 packs, i dont need to keep up. i understand your talking the more expensive shell, and yes i know they changed em! honestly, the 4 pack junk break birds fine, but open a box and its apparent they arent a federal shell, higher "brass" and a different crimp, and more loose shot rolling around in the box, and like i mentioned when fired they have a harsher recoil than the same shell federal actually makes. i also agree, they are going to lose a pile of long term customers over their choices of how they make shells over the last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12