Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 457125 in a 454 Casull

Boolit Master

Lyman 457125 in a 454 Casull

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	210531. Lyman 457125 at 510 gr. NEI 515 gr. 44 Magnum 255 gr. Left to right.

Boolit Grand Master
    What gun will accept that length?
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    An Encore. Certainly not a revolver.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	210531. Lyman 457125 at 510 gr. NEI 515 gr. 44 Magnum 255 gr. Left to right.
    I used to make up these `funny` rounds with bullets/boolets not designed or meant for that particular firearm, at least the 44 Mag. is legit.Robert

Boolit Master
    What isn't legit about my two 454 Cartridges

Legit. Slang of Legitimate: Definition of legitimate

1 a : lawfully begotten; specifically : born in wedlock
    b : having full filial rights and obligations by birth a legitimate child
    2 : being exactly as purposed : neither spurious nor false a legitimate grievance a legitimate practitioner
    3 a : accordant with law or with established legal forms and requirements a legitimate government
    b : ruling by or based on the strict principle of hereditary right a legitimate king
    4 : conforming to recognized principles or accepted rules and standards a legitimate advertising expenditure a legitimate inference
    5 : relating to plays acted by professional actors but not including revues, burlesque, or some forms of musical comedy the legitimate theater
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 12-28-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm betting the twist on the 454 is faster than the average 45-70, and out of common Encore barrel lengths, I bet you have no problems meeting standard 45-70 velocities, meaning it should work out just fine. I'm also betting you already knew that too.

Boolit Master
    Dubber123,

Yes, you are correct. I have used that NEI 515 gr bullet every once in a great while since probably the mid 2000's. My buddy used a different style 500 gr but forget what it was.
    When I brought some of the loads to the range one morning he was surprised by them. Then he wanted to try some so I gave him some Bullets. Then he bought a different mold. I have only used H110 with them. He did too. Naturally I started low with the charges. The load will give somewhat north of 1300 from the 12 inch barrel. I have done some good shooting with that load back when I could see iron sights a lot better.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	WIN_20171229_11_48_32_Pro.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	210619

I have done something similar. This is a .45 ACP cartridge loaded with a Lee 405 HB on the right that I flattened the nose on for a .325" Meplat. The bullet on the left is of my design at 320 grain. I use a spacer to utilize a modified .45-70 FCD to crimp them.

Out of a 5" 625 I am getting 840-875 while staying under SAAMI specs with the 405 grain bullet. "Quickload projections"

Sorry I went a little off topic but rifle bullets in pistol cartridges can be pretty awesome.

Boolit Master
    Glad to see someone else has tried something different.
    There are some on here that say they "just can't wrap my head around" something it is either unsafe or can't be done.
    Forge ahead, be careful and remember all loads started out as something new. Even a mechanism using powder and firing a projectile was something new at one time.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to hijack this thread too far OT , but I have the S&W 460 mag revolver and would love to experiment with 400 gr cast projectiles, but my primary question is how are you guys successfully sizing .458's down to .452 or .454 ? Can you do this with one pass in a sizing die ?

Boolit Master
    Depends on the band witdth and how hard the bullet is whether one can size them in one pass. Just try it.
    I size in one step if around 15 BHN. if much harder I do it in two steps. Be sure to lube at the larger sized before going down to the small size. Seems to keep more or the width of the lube grooves.
    If difficult spray the bullets with Hornady spray case lube or rumble lube them with Lee Liquid alox.
    Most of this is really simple. 400 gr in a 460 S&W is really nothing new.

Boolit Buddy

I'm sizing to .455 in one pass but the alloy is roughly 9.5-10 bhn so it doesn't take much effort.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
    Not to hijack this thread too far OT , but I have the S&W 460 mag revolver and would love to experiment with 400 gr cast projectiles, but my primary question is how are you guys successfully sizing .458's down to .452 or .454 ? Can you do this with one pass in a sizing die ?
    Lee 452 sizer. It's that easy.

HARD lead and .460 diameter gets tough to size, but 458 hardball goes to 452 with ease. and soft .460 goes to .452 fairly easily as well.

My go-to bullet for 460 is the ranchdog 460-425 with gas check. shoots downright soft at 1470 fps.