Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is The T/C Compass MOA Guarantee True? I found Out Today With A 6.5 Creed and 30-06

Boolit Grand Master

Is The T/C Compass MOA Guarantee True? I found Out Today With A 6.5 Creed and 30-06

I have had a T/C Compass in 30-06 since this summer when I found one in a Gander Mt up in Binghamton, NY when I was on vacation and picked it up for under $175. I installed a muzzle break and put a Nikon 3x9 Prostaff I picked up for $100 on sale in a pair of $10 Weaver Mounts from WalMart so about $300 give or take into the rifle.

The 6.5 Creedmore I got not long ago for about $180 with rebate and put a set of Warne Rings, $50, and topped it with an Osprey 6-24x50 scope, $250, I got at a gunshow so less than $500. I was thinking of a sub-$500 1,000yrd gun to see if it would work just for kicks.

The 30-06 took a few shots but I did get just under MOA with Fusion Ammo. Handloads I'm expecting much better out of it. The muzzle brake does a great job of cutting the recoil and the Nikon is stupendous glass for the money. Sharp, clear and bright with very positive click adjustments both by feel and sound. Great hunting scope.

The 6.5 Creed reminded me of why I like the caliber so much. Little recoil and great accuracy. .75in groups with 2 touching. Reloads should tighten that some but I'm not sure how much. The Osprey Scope.....Seems ok but the dials are odd. You can hear the clicks quite well but the feel is not a tight "click" but a smooth movement more like the magnification ring. Very odd but I can't say it moved off of the setting at all. No where near as nice as the Nikon in that regards nor did I think the scope was as bright despite the 50mm vs 40mm. Time will tell on this one.

All in all both of the Compasses did indeed live up to the MOA guarantee and then some. For $200 hunting rifles these are great bargains and the threaded barrel is icing on the cake. If I can get the 6.5 down to .5MOA with handloads I will be ringing steel at 1,000yrds for less than $500 and I bet I can do it with the old '06 for $300. Stunning what you can buy off the shelf now
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Master
    Nice going. Congratulations on your good deals too.

Thanks for posting! My 308 will get tried out this weekend. I really don't like the trigger, but we'll see how it'll group. Putting the Sighton SIII 8-32X off my Rem 700 on it for now, and installed a cheap eBay muzzle brake. Going to use some factory ammo and 155gr and 168gr Nosler CC handloads.

Boolit Mold
    I purchased a combo from Kygunco for $356 that included a 22-250 Compass, rings, and a Vortex scope a couple months ago. The best part is I got in on the $75 mail in rebate, making the gun a total of $281 shipped to my ffl! I didn't even know I needed another rifle until I came across that deal! As for moa, all I've done was sight it in plus a couple three shot groups. My best was about 3/4" at 75ish yards. Hopefully will be able to put her through the paces this weekend.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I looked at the manual for the Compass and I'm impressed with how much they trust the owner to do. It has instructions on how to adjust the trigger and disassemble the bolt, a big no-no with most gunmakers.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Master
    I just got a 6.5 Creedmoor Compass too. I shot the gun just enough to get the scope zeroed, and shot one 5 shot group at 100 yards. It measured just under 0.75". That was with factory ammo. (Hornady Black). With hand loads and some more trigger time, there's no telling how accurate that gun can become. For $200, it is a fantastic bargain for such as nice accurate gun.

I want one in 22-250 and 204 Ruger now.

Boolit Bub
    I too picked up a compass with a Vortex scope/rings with that rebate deal came to $274.99 I think, just couldn't pass it up. Got mine in 7mm mag, with handloads I already had made up, took 2 shots to get it sighted in, and the next 3 were all touching. I just couldn't believe that it shoots that well at that price point. Hopefully they'll extend that offer so I can pick up a few more calibers I've been wanting. Still haven't had a chance to get a muzzle brake for it. Was shooting too well, I figured I best leave it alone until after deer season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Thanks for posting! My 308 will get tried out this weekend. I really don't like the trigger, but we'll see how it'll group. Putting the Sighton SIII 8-32X off my Rem 700 on it for now, and installed a cheap eBay muzzle brake. Going to use some factory ammo and 155gr and 168gr Nosler CC handloads.
    Jeff I have a 308 Compass and I can you this about it. It shoots cast GREAT! Here's something I don't like though and what it is, is although it has a 308W chamber the throat isn't the normal 308W one. It's longer. I was loading some match Hornady 155 grain, 168 grain, and Sierra 165 grain. I wasn't pleased with the groups. When I put a jacketed flatbase bullet in a slightly squeezed case mouth I found out why. I have a Browning heavy barrel varmint rifle and I done the same thing to it. The TC Compass in 308W has about a good .125 inch or more freebore then the Browning. So I'm still playing with jacketed to see what it likes. I'm not saying that the 308W one won't shoot, but it makes it a little harder for us reloader with that longer throat. I'm just wondering why TC done this. Liability protection?

The longer throat would allow for heavier(longer) bullets to be seated farther out of the case leaving more room for powder. That could be an advantage with a 308, particularly if used for long range shooting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The longer throat would allow for heavier(longer) bullets to be seated farther out of the case leaving more room for powder. That could be an advantage with a 308, particularly if used for long range shooting.
    Yeah this true, but I'm wondering how long and heavy a bullet would it be to get near that cone? I am going to try it with the 30-06 heavy sil cast bullet. Who knows it may love them.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Banned

We shall see Tazman when this freezing cold spell with snow breaks.

Banned
    Bought one in 223 --- shoots bugholes.
    Wish they would make it in 300 blackout.

Boolit Master
    I REALLY wish they made one in 338 Federal. It would make a nice little brush gun.

Did any of you get a compass with a very heavy trigger? Can you adjust it lower than 5.5 lbs? I recently got a 22/250 and the trigger out of the box was 6.5lbs. Got it adjusted down to 5.5 lbs, nowhere near the 3.5 lbs as advertised or in the manual. Just wondering! Even with the heavy trigger it shot 3/4" group with 55 gr handloads. I still like it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Did any of you get a compass with a very heavy trigger? Can you adjust it lower than 5.5 lbs? I recently got a 22/250 and the trigger out of the box was 6.5lbs. Got it adjusted down to 5.5 lbs, nowhere near the 3.5 lbs as advertised or in the manual. Just wondering! Even with the heavy trigger it shot 3/4" group with 55 gr handloads. I still like it.
    I don't have a trigger weight gauge, but mine is light and crisp. Maybe around 4 pounds from the factory. I haven't tried to adjust it yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Compass in .243 Winchester a few months back.
    I brought it home and slapped a Leupold on top, then went to the range.
    I've put less than a dozen rounds through it to date, but without even zeroing the scope I had sub moa at 50 yards.
    I also had several holes overlapped.

The Compass is a big bargain for the money.
    I think, after the rebate, I gave $197 for my .243.

Boolit Master
    I’m still waiting on my rebate.

I sure wish they made them in left hand.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Just curious as to whether or not anyone has received their rebate on the Compass yet? I couldn't do mine online- mailed it in on 11/20; haven't received it yet.

My Compass is a .308. Was able to take 3 deer with it, one at well over 200 yards. Long shot for Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by parson48 View Post
    Just curious as to whether or not anyone has received their rebate on the Compass yet? I couldn't do mine online- mailed it in on 11/20; haven't received it yet.
    parson48, I received my rebate in the mail this past week. However, I submitted the rebate application online on 11/28 instead of mailing it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast