RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Sizing dies for .41 mag and 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Sizing dies for .41 mag and 45-70

my .41 mag has a .410 bore and I want to size lead to .411 dia. powder coat bullets. My mold is throwing .411 dia but with the powder coat it is close to .4135. I would like to size to .411. Same with my 45-70 molds. Does anyone make a .411 and a .459 sizing die that will fit RCBS 2 press.

Boolit Master
    I just recently got a custom .411 Lee push through die off ebay. Guy had a batch of them but he jacked his price up right after I got mine.

I think NOE has a .411 sizer bushing that goes in their sizing die holder. Probably cheaper in the end to go with the NOE sizer. Once you have the die, you can get other sizes of bushings much cheaper. This is from memory so I may be wrong on the NOE thing. Worth checking though.

Boolit Master

Buckshot a member of the forum made me one send him a pm
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Lathesmith in the VS section.
    I think Buckshot is not doing that anymore.

Boolit Master
    +1 for Lathesmith. He makes an excellent product.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    Lee push through bullet sizing dies. They are inexpensive and work just fine. I use them with all of my cast boolits that requires sizing. I'm sure there are others as well.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Sand paper and a wood dowel or something close to sizer diameter (mandrel) Wrap said mandrel in sandpaper and spin until you reach desired size. I always buy undersized Sizers and open them up to what I need them to size too. Then remark them. One or two thousandth doesn't take much work. So sand a little and check your work.

Boolit Buddy
    I seen it and placed a bid. I didn't watch it and lost the bid, lol. I ordered one from Lee Custom Shop and also ordered a .459 die kit from them as well. I did find a .459 Lyman bullet sizer listed on Track of the Wolf, but could not find one listed by Lyman, so did not order it. I ordered one from the Lee Custom Shop along with the .411 die kit.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one Lyman sizer die that I pulled out of an old rusted Lyman lube/sizer press. I boiled the lube out of the die and I see it had a little rust on the internal rod that the gas check sits on. If I hone out the inside of the die with a fetl bob with Brownells 320 Polish O Ray .001 or .002, will I need to have a new internal rod made? Will it be too loose?

Boolit Master
    Use 400 grit or finer wet or dry paper wrapped around a steel rod.
    Roll the die on your knee to open it up.
    The replacement pin can be made on a lathe or you can buy individual .001 increment gage pins from Vermont and other companies for about $3.00.
    EDG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by odette View Post
    I have one Lyman sizer die that I pulled out of an old rusted Lyman lube/sizer press. I boiled the lube out of the die and I see it had a little rust on the internal rod that the gas check sits on. If I hone out the inside of the die with a fetl bob with Brownells 320 Polish O Ray .001 or .002, will I need to have a new internal rod made? Will it be too loose?
    I have honed out a few Lyman dies by .001 and/or .0015 and re-used the rod with no problems. I think you wil be OK for Lubing purposes, depending on your lube recipe and your technique (temperature and pressure) with the lubesizer.

But you mentioned PC, if you aren't lubing the boolits and just sizing PC boolits, there will be absolutely no problem with a rod that is a few thousands undersized.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001