MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Traditions problem

Boolit Buddy

Traditions problem

Some time back I ordered a Traditions Pursuit Accelerator in 50 caliber from Midway arms. I finally got around to shooting it and ran into a problem. I had to use a piece of 2x4 to POUND the sabot down the barrel !!!! (I used a piece of 3/8 inch diameter brass rod that I keep in my car) The sabots, both using a 44 caliber bullet style and a 45 caliber bullet style (and they were from two different manufacturers) were both a super tight fit. I have owned a number of muzzleloaders over the years, but always used a patched ball instead of a sabot, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I contacted Traditions via e-mail and they got back to me to let me know the serial number wasn't correct (my fault, I read 18 instead of 13). I sent the right number but still haven't heard from them regarding my problem. Anyone else have such a problem and thoughts about my situation? Thanks in advance for your help.

Boolit Master

I would NOT fire those. if it takes that much force going in, the force coming out will probably ruin the gun. something is not right somewhere.

Banned
    its not going to hurt anything, most likely using the factory ramrod which is light and uncomfortable.

You will find the harvester crush rib sabots will do the job with easing up the force to seat a sabot. Traditions have tight bores and sabot diameters are all over the board when it comes to size and how they fit.

Boolit Grand Master

Just like the PRB you have to get the right combo, bullet and sabot to fit your bore. Have you tried to see how the sabot fits bithout the bullet you are using?
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    MMP makes sabots of slightly different thicknesses...with different part numbers. Call them and get some thinner sabots. There is no industry standard for "50" caliber. Each company can make any diameter they choose and call it 50 caliber. Some run fairly tight like my TC, and some are several thousandths looser.

Last time we went to the range there was a guy there that asked for help also shooting a traditions he'd just got and not fired. The medium green shiny 50/44 sabots that seemed harder/stiffer than I'm used to and 44 bullets he'd got as "kits" in ziploc bags from some gunshop didn't want to load easily. I had him try some of my darker green slightly dull finished Hornady 44 sabots and they loaded much easier and shot well for him. Also had him try some black harvester 50/45 sabots and 45 xtp's and FTX's which also loaded easier and shot well. Didn't have any of the crush rib sabots for him to try but at least got him a couple of options. Try a bunch of different combo's until you find one that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    Some time back I ordered a Traditions Pursuit Accelerator in 50 caliber from Midway arms. I finally got around to shooting it and ran into a problem. I had to use a piece of 2x4 to POUND the sabot down the barrel !!!! (I used a piece of 3/8 inch diameter brass rod that I keep in my car) The sabots, both using a 44 caliber bullet style and a 45 caliber bullet style (and they were from two different manufacturers) were both a super tight fit. I have owned a number of muzzleloaders over the years, but always used a patched ball instead of a sabot, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I contacted Traditions via e-mail and they got back to me to let me know the serial number wasn't correct (my fault, I read 18 instead of 13). I sent the right number but still haven't heard from them regarding my problem. Anyone else have such a problem and thoughts about my situation? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sounds like you didn't get all the overseas packing grease out of the barrel.
    Both Traditions and CVA muzzleloader come by boat from overseas. To minimize chance of rust, they have hardened grease inside the bore.
    You need a harsh cleaner for this and if you leave it in, it will bake into the barrel, causing tough bullet-loading permanently.

Sticky bores will make any bullet manufacturer tough to load, unless you use Harvester Crush Rib sabots or MMP three-petal or MMP HPH24 Sabots.