Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Martini Cadet in 223 rem

Martini Cadet in 223 rem

Has anyone been loading for a Martini Cadet in the 223 rem. ?

Boolit Bub
    Are your thoughts that you would have to download for the Martini because of the strength of the action? I have a Martini Cadet in 223 Remington also but haven't fired it.I bought it at an "Estate" sale so wasn't able to get any information on the rifle.I would be very interested in any information anyone has to offer on this also.

Spoke with one Gunsmith in the area and he said there would be no problems with factory loads. He had made up a few he said.

Boolit Master
    Cadets were commonly rebarreled in the rimmed version of 222Rem,and very popular in their day.The strength of the action is not the issue....first is the small barrel tenon....3/4" x 14 tpi,meaning the threads must be exactly fitted if bulging of the chamber is avoided,..secondly,if a primer craters,the action is difficult to open......extraction is weak,so any sticky case will need to be rodded out......so the chamber must be perfect ,and the block face flat and firing pin clearance must be exactly right if jamming is to be avoided...hard primers are essential,as are moderate loads...the block face must be exactly square with the bore,or similar problems occur.....finally ,the action must be modified to extract a rimless case,which I have never seen done to my satisfaction.

Boolit Master
    Anybody have a line on a source for .222 Rimmed brass?

Boolit Master

Because of the higher pressure you might need to bush the firing pin. There is a company making rimless extractor for the cadet but I can't remember who. I have converted a few to 223.

Boolit Master
    Ive seen new made 222Rim brass for sale....Bertram used to/still? makes it.....A bushed firing pin is a given,especially with a super pressure round like 223......however I would imagine the brass and primers are very tough for the kinds of guns its normally shot in......With a Cadet ,you soon learn to used hard primers...........cadet conversions are from an era when a new 222 was beyond the reach of the ordinary shooter,and that is where they belong,in my opinion .

Well still does not answer my question. Anyone loading for one ?

A friend had a .222R made up in the 1960's. He got his cases from Elwood Epps in Ontario, Canada. Try there.

If you were to rechamber the original barrel you would be limited to 45 Gr bullits because of the twist. If you rebarrel it then I suppose you would just use load data for a 223 Remington (within reasonable pressure range )

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    If you were to rechamber the original barrel you would be limited to 45 Gr bullits because of the twist. If you rebarrel it then I suppose you would just use load data for a 223 Remington (within reasonable pressure range )
    What is considered reasonable pressure. Pressure that is given by factory loads ?

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Well still does not answer my question. Anyone loading for one ?
    I reload for 222Rimmed.What is it you want to know .Im not at home until Friday week , all my reloading information is at home ,but you can use 222Remington data . I use a number of projectiles ,remington 50g , Speer 50gn and just recently Hornady ZMax.I am using Bertram ,cases , they are top quality brass .No need to worry about the action strength the cadet action was tested to 60,000psi , its the extractor that is it,s weakest point.
    Last edited by BigEyeBob; 01-03-2018 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    If you were to rechamber the original barrel the twist wouldnt make any difference as the .223 bullet wouldnt touch the .310 bore of the martini cadet

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fred2892; 01-03-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    I reload for 222Rimmed.What is it you want to know .Im not at home until Friday week , all my reloading information is at home ,but you can use 222Remington data . I use a number of projectiles ,remington 50g , Speer 50gn and just recently Hornady ZMax.I am using Bertram ,cases , they are top quality brass .No need to worry about the action strength the cadet action was tested to 60,000psi , its the extractor that is it,s weakest point.
    Thanks that is what I needed to know.

Boolit Master
    Stated in the simplest possible terms..."if you crater or extrude the primer ,the action will be nearly impossible to work manually"..........to open a stuck action you must apply heavy downward force on the lever ,and at the same time drive the front of the block down with a soft (copper or lead ally) drift.........you must shear the raised primer metal........note that recocking and firing,or using a rod are not possible.

Sorry, I was thinking of 22Lr Martini, not a 310 Cadet, My mistake. I have one rechambered to 22 Mashburn and am limited to 45 Gr bullets.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

This one had been rebarreled to 223 rem.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Stated in the simplest possible terms..."if you crater or extrude the primer ,the action will be nearly impossible to work manually"..........to open a stuck action you must apply heavy downward force on the lever ,and at the same time drive the front of the block down with a soft (copper or lead ally) drift.........you must shear the raised primer metal........note that recocking and firing,or using a rod are not possible.
    Will this happen even if firing pin was bushed ?