Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7mm TCU or 30 Herrett?

Boolit Grand Master

I've used both in sillywett competition and have shot 40X40's and 60X60's with them. They are both fun and accurate cartridges. I used the RCBS 145gr for the 7mm and the 190gr for the Herrett. MY preference is the Herrett as it is rimmed and the extractor didn't drag and scratch cases.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

The 7 TCU is so easy to load for, I love the 30-30 in a 14" bbl. I see no reason for the Herret unless you love a 10" bbl.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have two 30 Herretts (10" & 14") and a 14" 30-30. I have shot along side plenty of 7 TCUs. All three are great and can do pretty much the same thing.

However, there are pros and cons depending on use.

Hunting with a 10": The 30 Herrett has a real edge. Better boolit choices than the 7 TCU and the rimmed case is better in the field. The few that have used the 30-30 in a 10" end up finding that it really is just not a good mix.

Hunting with a 14": 30-30 becomes very attractive. A little more velocity is available and muzzle blast is not near as bad as in a 10".

For the 30-30, the Herretts, the 7-30 and any other round made from a 30-30 case you do need to be careful with loads in a contender. People have streched contender fames pushing 30-30 based stuff too hard.

7 TCU is just great for all other forms of shooting. Works good in either 10" or 14". The ability to make cases from 5.56 is great. The slightly smaller diameter case also gives you a better "factor of safety" for contender frames.

Boolit Master

I have both and suggest the 7mm TCU, Lee Soupcan mold, go forth let the silver stream flow, then send em down range.
    Brass is a breeze to form and you are ready to go.

If you have some WC820(N) then look up Junior1942's post using it for very economical loads with some authority behind them.
    If you're already stuffing for the 30-30 then send the Herrett down the road and get that 30-30 barrel.

All this said I LIKE the Herrett . . . well both flavors of Herrett and have 5 different combos of lengths and chamberings.

Did I mention that I like 10" 7 mm TCU . . . FUN with Junior1942's soupcan load.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-10-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I run 160 Lymans in my 10" 7 TCU over 20.5 gr. RL7 for steel critters . It hasnt left any Rams standing if I do my part . A mold Ive been looking at is the NOE 150 Hunter .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy

I have two 30 Herretts (along with a 357), 7 TCU, and a 30-30; all are in 10". The 30 Herretts are easy to make cases for and using a small tubing cutter speeds the process tremendous. Once made the cases seem to last forever. I used the 7 TCU for production class in silhouette and it was very accurate. I don't know if it was better than the 30 Herrett but it was more popular at the time--mid 1980s. The 30-30 works okay if you get a good load. Reloader 7 and IMR-3031 as I recall did the best for me. I started shooting silhouette with the 30-30 but my scores went up with the 7 TCU but that could also be because I was getting better. I like them all and still have them all but now I shoot the 30 Herretts the most hands down. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master

IMO after having both the 7-TCU and 30 Herrett and using jacketed & cast bullets in both , I would go with the 7 TCU for jacketed or lead bullets.

Boolit Master
    For the sake of cost, I'm going to go with the 7mm (at least first). I got a set of dies including a neck expander off the auction site for $25 delivered. The 30 Herrett dies I've seen (new only) were 3 times that. I can get a mold and sizing die for the 7mm with what I saved on the loading dies alone. That and I have about 20 pounds (pounds not rounds) of Remington .223 brass to play with. Got the dies in and forming the cases is pretty easy, split one neck making 50 of them. I also had a old bag of 7mm silhouette cast bullets on the shelf so I have something to play with for awhile. Thanks for all the replies. Might hang onto the Herrett barrel for awhile and hope to fall into a cheap set of dies for it too. Looks like the 7mm will at least be the first to make it to the shooting range.

Good call , when you find a set of Herrett dies you will glad you held onto that barrel . I have a T/C custom shop barrel and its a shooter with 150 Sierras or cast . It does well with the 150 Lee FN . I shot it in one steel match and ended up with a 35 first time out , missed a pig and a turkey but I hit all 10 rams at 200 but rang 3 of them. That was the 150 Lee over 16gr. 4759.
    Good luck with your TCU .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Ordered a soup can mold, gas checks and lee push through die (.285). Should be here this week. Now set up for 7mm...

Found some cheap dies for a 357 Herrett barrel I have too. It's another one that should be fairly easy to get running IF I can get some of the old 30-30 brass I have formed to the 357 I'll be good to go. Another barrel that should be a lot of fun for some informal shooting.

Boolit Master
    I own a 10” 30 Herett, a 14” 30-30, a 14” 7mm TCU and 21” carbine in the same. They are all staying.

The reason the 30 herett was developed was because a 10” 30-30 was too short. Case modifications aside the herett clambering is the better choice in the shorter barrel. There has been a modification to the herett case and chamber worth noting. They take the chamber and ream the neck back out to 30-30 length to eliminate having to shorten the cases but use a 30 herett die so the shoulder is still herett, you end up with a very long neck but still reduced powder space to retain better firing characteristics in those short barrels.

The thing with a short barrel is balance.

The TCU cartridges were designed with longer throats for sil. shooting. They are good with bullets of sufficient length but a shorter bullet does not generally do as well. Kudos to the late 1942Junior look up his stuff. He points out the Hornady 154 spire point and how it shoots in the 7mm TCU but at slow speed it does not open well. He took the nose off the bullet and then he had expansion and accuracy.

I bought a soup can mold but have not used it yet but I do also have an older version of the RCBS 168 gr. that is the old lovern in design and it has not produced good results yet. I can not seat it forward enough to keep the base lube groove out of the “fire”.

The best place to find Contender stuff like those 30 herett dies the OP needs is over at Grey beard forum.

I find the 30 herett to be more flexible at various bullet weights and the rim is handy for hanging onto your cases. The 7mm TCU is very accurate with right mix but with a more narrow choice of bullet weights. If you want to go with 30-30 then I suggest a longer barrel at the expense of less balance and less mobility but if you get past those issues I find my 14” a real gem!

Three44s

Banned
    I like the 7 MM TCU
    because of cheap brass and use only 120 grain cast bullets. Use 5.2 grains of UNIQUE , very accurate at 25 yds.

I say keep both..
    Love the .30 Herrett.
    But the 7tcu is my favorite.
    Especially in a Carbine barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12