RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm TCU or 30 Herrett?

Boolit Master

7mm TCU or 30 Herrett?

Looking for opinions on these? I have both barrels (10" heavy barrels) but have not used them. Which ever I choose is going to be starting from the bottom. The 30 Herrett seems more difficult to make brass for but I have a ton of 30 cal molds. The 7mm is easy to make brass for and I have probably 50lbs of .223 brass but no molds.

Main interest is shooting silhouettes out to 200 yards (not competition, just fun). No hunting. Some paper punching and I do have some 500 yd steel targets at our range I could shoot at.

I really don't see any point in keeping both.

I've had both, and prefer the 7TCU for silhouettes. I also like the cheap brass, and one step ease of forming them too!

Boolit Master
    .30 Herret is a cakewalk to make. Especially if you have a power trimmer. I just used the fl sizing dies to set the shoulder back. It all depends on which bullets and molds you have more for deciding on which caliber. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    Another option that appeals to me is selling them and trying to find a used 30-30 barrel. I have everything for loading 30-30.. WOuldn't have to buy dies at least.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    .30 Herret is a cakewalk to make. Especially if you have a power trimmer. I just used the fl sizing dies to set the shoulder back. It all depends on which bullets and molds you have more for deciding on which caliber. Todd/3leg
    You didn't have any issues with necks being too thick? I also see I can get formed brass but I'd still have to add dies to the cost. Dies and brass will cost me more than the barrel did.

Boolit Master
    Never had problems with necks with the W-W or R-P brass I used. Shot mainly Lee 170 and 113gr boolits out of it. I sold mine cuz I couldn't stand cutting down 30/30 cases. Had MGM make me a 12" 30/30 barrel for Contender. I really like it, and have never looked back.

Boolit Master
    I like the idea of a plain 30-30 barrel better and might be cheaper in the end to sell the 30 Herrett and buy a 30-30. Maybe keep the 7mm and at least try it, just got a 3 die 7mm TCU set on auction for $25.

Boolit Grand Master
    .30 Herrett is one of the most accurate barrels I have. Easy to make brass. Gobs of .30 boolits around. .30 Her. is more efficient than the .30-30, but who cares. The .30-30 is great from a 10".

Boolit Master
    I shot silhouette for years and used the 7tcu to shoot a lot of 40x40 scores. It was amazingly accurate and easy to load for. I wouldn't think twice about it, get the tcu. You can fire form the cases in your gun simply by firing 223 ammo out of it (don't expect to hit anything that way though )

Boolit Master
    I would go with the 7mm, and I've got a 30 Herrett and like it! For what you want the 7 is a better bet, there are at least 3 varieties of 30 Herrett chamber/barrel and only one is an easy cast project. Pick a mold for the 7mm from a custom maker, blow out some 223 brass and put those new dies to work. The case forming is not terrible for the Herrett but 7tcu is still easier and the basic case is laying arround everywhere from the bottom feeders. Trade the 30 for something 35 , never know you might wanna hunt something
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I have both a 7TCU and a 30 Herrett in 10 inch heavy barrel. For shooting critters the 30 Herrett is my first choice but for paper punching and shooting long range steel the 7TCU would be my choice.Buying a new mold for the TCU is easy enough if you go that way.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I have used 30 herret since they came out. It is one barrel I will not be without. I find brass easy to form and use a jeweler saw to cut close to length then finish with trimmer. Brass life is good.
    I also like 357 herret but use it less.
    I just gave 7tcu away it is accurate but bullets for 6x45 and 30 herret easier to make .

Boolit Mold
    30 herret if you already have some 30 Cal laying around. Dies can be had for a reasonable price if you look at some of the classified sites. The 7mm tcu would be awesome in carbine barrel

Arlon you have a pm D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I"ll be a rebel here and say "Both", though I am finding I like 14" barrels more, the more I think on it. (I'm a big guy and that's not that long a barrel, for me.) Your choice on whether it's just a spare Contender barrel or you get a 2nd action

My 7TCU Contender barrel loved 140 gr. bullets! Very accurate in my Ingram barrel and probably one of my favorites of the dozen different caliber barrels I had.

In Remembrance

7TC/U with a six-banger LEE 'Soupcan' mold from Midsouth............what's not to like??
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    I just have too many barrels. (-:} I'm trying to consolidate the accumulation down to things that I can actually use without adding even more to my reloading mix. I have moulds for everything but 7mm. If I can find a cheap but useable 7mm mold that would ice the deal. I must have at least 50lbs of once fired 223 cases so brass wound be an issue for the 7mm like it would be for the 30 Herrett. I also have a 357 Herrett that has never been used. No dies for it either but I do have a box of 357 moulds. I think I'm more inclined to sell of the 30 Herret and keep the 357. Cheaper of the two to get running in the long run. Only have 2 frames.

What's the 7mm soupcan mold? I can probably afford a LEE mold.

The "soupcan" mold is sold by Midsouth: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ial-order-mold

It is my standard mold for 7TCU. I also have a couple of 30 Herrett barrels and enjoy using all three. If I were wanting to simplify my life, I guess I would choose the 30 Herrett simply because of the number of .30 molds that I have and the fact that I actually enjoy forming brass. (Weird, I know).

When I got to the "too many barrels" situation I simply sold the Contender and all my barrels. I figured out I rarely shot the gun or barrels once I quit shooting pistol silhouette, and I was just acquiring barrels because they were so cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast