MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme - Disappointed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Where can I use a press before buying it? Some stores have a few presses set up. But all you can do is pull the handle on them. Can't load rounds on them. So you'd never know that the primers went anywhere they wanted.
    It takes a slight amount of observation for one to see or be able to imagine the primer movement. My 9 year old grand daughter has that much power of observation.

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    Any idea how the ultra mag compares to the T7 in terms of leverage? Assuming higher, but I do prefer a turret. I wouldn't think the t7 would be a slouch.
    The difference in the placement of the leverage arms tells the story. The RCBS Rockchucker, Redding T7 Turret, Lee Classic presses, Lyman presses, Dillon presses all have the leverage arm below the ram/shell holder junction. The Ultramag has the linkage at the top of the press at the die hole. Huge difference in mechanical advantage and you can tell it from the very first time you pull the handle when sizing a case.

I may be the first ever person to coin the words "die hole".
    Last edited by flashhole; 12-30-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    It takes a slight amount of observation for one to see or be able to imagine the primer movement. My 9 year old grand daughter has that much power of observation.
    You didn't answer my question that was in response to your statement. Thinking about it is different than "playing w/ one" before you buy. It's even harder if you buy online and only look at pics from the manufacturer. Try before you buy doesn't exist w/ reloading tools unless you know another reloader.

Boolit Master
    If you resolve the sizing forces your press does not develop significantly more FORCE due just to the location of the upper end of the links. What IS REALLY better is the force from from the upper end of the links does not go through the tall section of the frame. The force is confined to the massive solid top section. The majority of stresses are confined to the short path between the end of the link pins and the die bushing.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    The difference in the placement of the leverage arms tells the story. The RCBS Rockchucker, Redding T7 Turret, Lee Classic presses, Lyman presses, Dillon presses all have the leverage arm below the ram/shell holder junction. The Ultramag has the linkage at the top of the press at the die hole. Huge difference in power and you can tell it from the very first time you pull the handle when sizing a case.

I may be the first ever person to coin the words "die hole".
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    No comments necessary fellas. He's clearly forgotten to take his meds. Let it slide.

Banned
    Some here are incapable of seeing the forest for the trees. Imagine if you can a slot in the ram of a press. Now have someone operate the ram very slowly and watch as the machined portion of the ram is tapered back.Attachment 210669

rototerrier....

A picture for you especially so maybe you can comprehend the primer leaving the case traveling thru the milled slot in the ram hopefully making its way to the primer capture assembly that hopefully even you can see in the picture.

Now, no real need for med comments because I will take the time to explain in some detail so even you may possibly be able to see the possible primer route to the capture pan.

Now, some here simply cannot understand simple things. Most gun shops at least the ones I frequent have mounted different presses for one to inspect. As my picture shows very simply the route of the primer once it is removed from the case in question. One may or may not be able to comtemplate the possible primer route to its catch assembly.

Banned
    Attachment 210670Attachment 210671

The machined slot provides a dual purpose. 1.) the primer falls thru the hole in the shell holder makes its way part of the time down thru the milled portion and bounces its way to the primer catcher.
    2.) The milled portion is also there for the necessary clearance for the primer arm assembly.

I'm going to make an assumption now that some of you looking at this picture might and I repeat the word might be able to see that there is a possibility of the spent primer not making its way into the primer catch pan and instead will end up on the floor.

The RCBS in question has the same flaw in its primer catch system as the Lyman T-Mag I have pictured. So, when looking at a press if so mounted in your favorite gun shop or sports store take notice as to how the ram looks and if the ram is machined like the T-mag I pictured. Those that are unlucky enough not to see one mounted your very lucky because there is usually a picture on the side of the box that shows what you are purchasing and if that picture is missing you are possibly capable of one last redeeming act and that is to ask the sales clerk to please open the carton so that you might be able to inspect the article a bit closer.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 12-30-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Cast Boolits Owner

I understand it is wintertime and sometimes folks get a bit pent up when stuck inside but this is not the place to share your frustrations. Be warned that this will not be tolerated.

Thread locked.
    Last edited by No_1; 12-30-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Spelling....
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123