Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme - Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    get something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Reload...sAAOSwqu9VNmcd It works. Out of all the things you would think that these companies would figure out a way to capture a primer.
    I did and mentioned it in my post. I go the one from primercatcher.com. It works, but it takes up as much space behind the ram as the stock primer catcher. It eliminates the mess and the primers going everywhere, but it also takes up space that you need to be able to comfortably get your fingers in there to place and retrieve brass. I have larger hands and fingers, so losing space isn't an option.

I too love RCBS products and their customer service. I have their Chargemaster, Case Trimmer, Dies, and a few other things but this was the first press I've tried.

I never prime on any press, so that wasn't an issue. I hand prime only.

I'm certainly not here to bash the brand. Just pointing out my disappointment with the particular product. I'm not a brand loyal fan boy in the least. My bench is multi colored. I have orange, red and green...no blue yet. Guess I could be called out for discriminating on the blue

Boolit Master
    Hollywood's never had a primer catcher.......just saying.

Winelover.

Boolit Master

Yes Sir it does take up room I have the same set up and am very seriously thinking of getting the case ejector from inline https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...r-single-stage

I've been using a RC exclusively since 1979 or so. So, this is an older RC press.
    The press has a little snap-on tray to catch the popped out primers. It never caught all of them as quite a few would either pop over the tray or hit the tray and bounce out.

My fix was simple and highly effective: I simply cut out a little piece of cardboard that inserts into the back of the primer catcher tray and serves as a backstop. Popped primers that would either overshoot or bounce out of the tray hit the cardboard backstop and fall into the tray.

The tray could be easily/simply designed with a backstop but I'm not sure if the newer RCs use the same tray catcher system.....
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The RockChucker is a timeless classic,and perfection cannot be improved upon.
    It's not perfect and designs have been improved upon. RCBS sold one themselves. It was called the A series of presses. The RC is alive because of its storied past. Had there been the options we have now it may not have fared as well. I've used a lot of presses. The RC was one I sold down the road rather quickly because it wasn't that great. If someone likes using it then that's all the matters. But you can't pretend that there aren't better designs available.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I used a RC for 40 years then tried a Redding Boss. The Boss came with a little black plastic box with a small magnet on the bottom. I looked at it and laffed and laffed and laffed. There was no way this would work. Wrong, wrong, wrong. It works so much better than the green plastic wrap around thing that bounced spent primers in every direction off the RC.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Yes Sir it does take up room I have the same set up and am very seriously thinking of getting the case ejector from inline https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...r-single-stage
    I have one and it works OK but is a bit Mickey Mouse. The Velcro stuff used for the ramp/slide is the weak link.

I am thinking of selling my RC. I got it cheap and only use it to deprime once fired military brass. Everything else is done on a CoAx. It is not a great press. Any press that requires setting up dies every time you use it is a poor design. And as mentioned, it boasts one of the poorest spent primer systems available.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    I used a RCBS Rock Chucker for a while ... I then got a Bonanza CoAx .... that ended the primer mess .... the CoAx turned out to be the great press I had heard about .... I sold the Rock Chucker ... I got the CoAx about 1970 ... so 47 years ago...

Oh ... it seats primers perfectly too ... a little slow ....

Banned
    There are Redding T7s and then ----- the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    There are Redding T7s and then ----- the rest.
    I hear ya...but $79 per turret! I'm still on the fence and actually put one in my midway cart earlier today, but just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I'll probably continue to torture myself like that for another week or so before finally just buy the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    For you off press deprimers, take a look at the Frankford Arsenal Depriming device.
    Its great.
    beltfed/arnie

^++1^
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    Kind of surprised that one would purchase something before playing with the model. Considering you owned a Lee I would have imagined that a RCBS would have been a step up. Who woulda thunk.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Kind of surprised that one would purchase something before playing with the model. Considering you owned a Lee I would have imagined that a RCBS would have been a step up. Who woulda thunk.
    I suspect we'd all be living very minimalist lifestyles if we applied this metric to all our purchases.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Where can I use a press before buying it? Some stores have a few presses set up. But all you can do is pull the handle on them. Can't load rounds on them. So you'd never know that the primers went anywhere they wanted.

Boolit Master
    I have both good and bad as far as primer disposal goes. My Dillon 650, Lee Challenger, and Lee Pro 1000 all do very well stashing away the spent primers. The Pro 1000 is actually a dedicated depriming maching. I did add the 3D printed collection funnel that fits in the base that drops through the bench to a collection bucket and I added a surround on the side of the press. All the above are very tidy. The Dillon has a drop tube also but the stock cup works fine too.

On the other hand, my old Pacific C press..... What primer disposal system. No such thing, its not potty trained, primers everywhere if used to deprime.

I can vouch for the Harvey Deprimer also. As a little hand held off the press tool, its great! All metal, well built, made to last!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

One good thing about the Hornady LNL AP is the primer catching disposal, tube to a bucket ..Mine gets mainly use for depriming. Makes fast work of a bunch of brass..

Boolit Master

I pretty much deprime all cases with a Lee Universal Depriming Die. Then the cases go into my Thumbler Tumbler with some dawn, Lemi Shine and water. They come out squeaky clean including the primer pockets. Then I lube all the cases shortly before running them thru my progressive press. This lube makes the process so much easier an I do not get powder all over the shellplate while reloading.

I must confess to using some aftermarket devices both on my XL 650 and 550C Dillon presses to make them run smoother. There is a device for the 550C that has a roller for the priming slide that prevents problems in priming every case. For the XL 650 there are a few more devices to help things along. One is a roller that impinges on the device that propels the shellplate along more smoothly and smaller devices that encircle the brass pegs that keep the cases centered on the shellplate. There are also tubes that also can be used to direct spent primers to a container of your choice.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Glad to see some attention being paid to primer management. The hollow ram on the Lee Classic and Redding presses is great. OP, if you are looking for a workhorse single stage look at the Redding Ultramag. Clean primer disposal and lots of power on a very precision press. I have two Ultramags, one Lee Classic Cast and two Lee Classic Turrets. All are very neat and efficient with primers. As to power. The Ultramag wins hands down.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Any idea how the ultra mag compares to the T7 in terms of leverage? Assuming higher, but I do prefer a turret. I wouldn't think the t7 would be a slouch.

Boolit Master
    My big press is a Redding Big Boss II. Primers drop down into a plastic tube, like the Hornady LnL does. I just keep a trash can under the presses and both feed their spent primers into it. I highly recommend it.

I was going to buy a Rockchucker because I own a ton of RCBS stuff, but then I found out they are being made in China now. The Redding is still made here.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast