Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme - Disappointed

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme - Disappointed

As the title suggests, I'm disappointed. I currently use a LNL Progressive for large quantity pistol rounds and have been using a Lee 4 Hole Turret for my rifle rounds for a long time. Not sure if I bought it right when they were first introduced the 4 hole, but it's been a long while. I've certainly gotten plenty of use out of it and haven't broken anything yet.

I decided to treat myself to a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme for Christmas to make resizing military brass a little easier. Got it set up, and sure enough, it did do just that. It gave me a bit more leverage and resizing was easier, but it only took me about 1 case to find the flaw with the depriming/primer catch system. Wow, what a let down.

After using the LNL and the Lee, where primers drop cleanly below the press, I was a bit disappointed to find RCBS to be so lacking. Messy dirty primers going all over the place. Some made it into the catch and some didn't, but dust and debris goes everywhere.

I decided to give it a chance and went ahead and ordered an upgraded primer catcher with a drop tube off to the side. Well, that definitely made a difference but the more I use it the more I ask myself why I'm having to add something to a press to make it work right. Back to cabelas it shall go. It's a real shame. I like the size and leverage of the press, but this primer catch thing is crazy. You'd think with Lee, Hornady, Redding, Forster...and possibly others I'm not aware of doing such a clean job of primer catching, they would have implemented something similar by now.

I might just splurge a bit more and get a T7 Turret. I really didn't want to stretch my budget too much more, but I guess it won't be too much more of a stretch and will be worth getting something that handles the primer catching better. I currently use my Lee Turret in manual indexing mode anyway, so a turret press seems like it might be a better choice. Rather than supplementing my Lee for easier sizing, I might just replace it and have something bigger and better all the way around.

Just curious how many others out there have had similar issues or have the same gripes?

I've got a Lee turret that I love and I also have a lee single action Classic Cast for the grunt work and it really takes a beating...got the good primer disposal set up as well....Wouldn't trade it for the world...I load all my handgun stuff on the turret with the new Lee auto drum powder dispenser and I use the Classic Cast single stage for rifle loading and weigh the loads there...the plastic tube primer drop with a longer plastic tube and a bucket under the press lets me never worry about spent primer disposal....One thing..the little primer arm that works in the ram has to be in place (even if you are not priming with it) as it guides the spent primers into the disposal tube...otherwise they will hit the floor...ask me how I know.

Boolit Grand Master

Should have bought a Lee Classic Cast single stage press. I'm not a fan of the Rock Chuckers for a few reasons. Primer disposal is high on the list.

Boolit Master
    I have the first model RCBS Rockchucker. It was my second press. My first press was a C press that spewed primers everywhere.

I got a hand punch an started knocking all primers out by hand.
    When I got the Rockchucker I avoided getting primer ash on the ram by hand depriming. So for 45 plus years I have not complained because I removed the decapping pins from all of my dies.
    No bent stems, no broken pins and no primers or trash on the floor or the press.

The presses you guys use did not even exist back then so I never missed them.
    As a result I do not consider primer disposal a factor in press selection because spent primers never get near my presses.
    Last edited by EDG; 12-26-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I solve that by not depriming anywhere near the RC. I should get a pic of my rig.

Boolit Master
    Other than buying one of the new style primer catchers that some make or buying your own 3D printer and making one it sucks and I don't deprime on it anymore I use my LNL for that. I do use it for sizing bullets with a Lee sizer/lube die.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I never considered the primer mess cause it was a part of every press I ever had til I bought my lnl progressive. I keep a shop vac next to loading bench. 59 years I just considered it part of loading.

Boolit Buddy
    I cut those round bumps that lock "primer catcher" (term used very loosely ) to the frame and I move it directly to the shaft - decreases number of primers I have to pick up. I only use my RCBS RC for load development.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    I cut those round bumps that lock "primer catcher" (term used very loosely ) to the frame and I move it directly to the shaft - decreases number of primers I have to pick up. I only use my RCBS RC for load development.
    I considered doing that as well. First time I ever tried taking it off full of primers I think I had 2 left in the tray and most of the other 98 I'm sure are still somewhere in the basement.
    I just can't believe RCBS made that piece of **** catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    One thing..the little primer arm that works in the ram has to be in place (even if you are not priming with it) as it guides the spent primers into the disposal tube...otherwise they will hit the floor...ask me how I know.
    This is exactly correct. I eventually discovered this too.

Boolit Master
    Well,what a comeabout........RCBS bashing by Lee owners........if you cant abide all that messy powder,and them little fiddly primers,and them heavy packets of bullets.......you can save all the expense on loading gear and buy factory ammo in neat ,tidy,aseptic ,packets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    I decided to give it a chance and went ahead and ordered an upgraded primer catcher with a drop tube off to the side. Well, that definitely made a difference but the more I use it the more I ask myself why I'm having to add something to a press to make it work right. Back to cabelas it shall go.
    So, you fixed the problem with some upgrades, but it's still going back? Or am I reading this wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Well,what a comeabout........RCBS bashing by Lee owners........if you cant abide all that messy powder,and them little fiddly primers,and them heavy packets of bullets.......you can save all the expense on loading gear and buy factory ammo in neat ,tidy,aseptic ,packets.
    Is that what all this is about? RCBS bashing?

I have 2 Lee's, an RCII and a Co-Ax all in a row for semi-progressive precision rifle reloading. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. But send one back? I wouldn't bother unless the ram was misaligned or the casting had a crack, or something major like that.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    'Touchet Mate'...let them Lee Guys get one in on RCBS, it ain't often they get a kick in anyway...Lee always gets it in the neck around here. Have to agree with the Preacher...when I got my chucker, all this drama was just part of the experience.
    Nowadays I just deprime on a dedicated press and universal deprime die, both die and press are Lee, hows about that?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    The lee classic cast hollow ram is great for catching gas checks from my FC III as well as spent primers.

Boolit Master
    For you off press deprimers, take a look at the Frankford Arsenal Depriming device.
    Its great.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Well I've been using a RC-II since 1985 that came in at that time supreme kit. I totally agree with you. The spent primer catch system is terrible. I added a case kicker to mine shortly after I got it and the system that you use when you have that is only slightly better.

But here it is almost 2018 and my near 33 year old RC-II is working just as good as it did on day one and will very likely outlast my kids and maybe theirs.

Everything else that was in that kit is still going strong as well. So in spite of it's spent primer control issues I have absolutely no reason to be disappointed in my 33 year old Rockchucker Supreme kit.

Motor

ETA: I love the spent primer catch system of the Lee load master press. Too bad the rest of it isn't nearly as good.

Boolit Master
    This is a lot like buying a J type Deusenberg and sayin "its no good ,cause its got a manual gearbox"...................The RockChucker is a timeless classic,and perfection cannot be improved upon.

Boolit Master
    You think the Rock Chucker is bad, try a Lyman T-Mag or Crusher! The tray doesn't come close to fitting the press! I decap on a Lee hand press.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Most of the press makers have had primer issues. Priming/depriming is tough.

I have been green on my bench for years and years. Decided one day that a new Supreme would look good on my bench.

I too hated the depriming and thought it very poor, right up until I tried to prime. Lord have mercy! I sold it off and bought another first generation Rockchucker. You know, the one with the totally cool wrinkle paint. Love 'em. It doesn't prime/deprime very well either, but it's far better than the Supreme.

My bench is still almost all green, with just one old gray Lyman Spartan. The other two presses are the Rockchucker and Ammomaster.

You can't top RCBSes customer service, you just can't. But the Supreme does suck. Sorry.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    My 50-some year old RCBS A2 press handles primers fairly well -- they usually drop through the ram and into the garbage can I place underneath. Do I gather that RCBS went backward from a design that worked well enough to garner a "C" grade, or even "B-"?
    Now my Hornady L-N-L really handles the depriming nicely, so I try to set myself up for volume processing whenever possible to take advantage of the nice depriming/priming setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast