Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: New Lyman lead thermometer, anybody have one?

In Remembrance

New Lyman lead thermometer, anybody have one?

I`m unsure if I want to spend $30 for the Lyman new lead probe thermometer. Does anybody have one and if so what do you think of it?Robert

Boolit Master
    I have two.The first one didn't work.I called Lyman customer service and they shipped out a replacement the same day.The second one worked fine.I tried the thermocouple from the good one on the bad one and it worked as well.I obtained a replacement thermocouple for the bad one.They work well.I have compared the reading from a Lyman Mag25,the two digital thermometers,and a Brownells analog thermometer and they within a a degree or two of agreeing.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Lyman and it seems to work well. I really don't care how accurate it is as far as exact temp. I use it as a reference. That is...I know at what temp. a certain boolit casts well at out of a particular mold according to the thermometer. Whether it is 675° or 700°. I keep track of what the thermometer read. It seems pretty consistent.

Boolit Bub
    Bought one from Midway, but it didn't work. Paper work that came with it said to contact Lyman, and gave a toll free number to call. After a very pleasant conversation with a rep, I was told they would send me a new one. When it came I checked it immediately, and found it worked well. Tried the new probe with the old unit, and found the old unit was fine. Found a new probe on eBay for a couple of bucks, and now have 2 working units. Love Lyman's Customer Service.

Look for a Tel True they are the same thermometers as Lyman and all sell and you can get them for half the price.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Don't leave the probe in the melted lead too long, the heat goes up the metal probe into the plastic probe holder and softens the plastic. The plastic holder will harden up when cool, but too much of that heating might cause damage to the wires inside.
    Just push the probe into the melt, take a temperature reading then remove the probe to let it cool.
    This thermometer is not made for continuous emersion in the the melt.

Boolit Grand Master

I went with Hatch’s PID and haven’t looked back on using an analog thermometer. I have had Lyman and RCBS and Tru-Temp. They were all within 25-30* of each other.