Thread: Pays to have backup

Boolit Master

Pays to have backup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	210330

Alternative weapons season her in MO. I killed a 2 yr old doe Sunday with my 50 cal inline which left me with one tag. When I left the house this morning both of my cats went with me as they often do. They're mousing around in the rotten dead treetops and the little kitty catches one. She runs up the hill behind me with it.

A few minutes go by and here she comes with a bobcat on her tail. She makes it up a tree about 25 yds from me. The bobcat turns around and starts back up the hill. My muzzleloader misfired 3 snaps ( bad primer I guess ) so I grabbed the 45.
    I'm glad it worked, last resort was my knife..
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Good deal! One less wanton killer in the woods,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Double good job. Sounds like you were a good boy scout who was prepared. Very nice trophy bobcat you took. I haven't made it out yet for alternate season. Hopefully Friday.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

WHEW!! T'was a lot of snaps
    Well done
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Tell little kitty she has eight left now.

I haven't seen a bob cat here in quite a while. Seems like I used to see a few during every deer season. Never gave much thought to shooting one, though I'm sure not opposed to it. Now that I liv out in the sticks, Coyotes get shot at if I have something close at hand that shoots. Racoons are the same, guess bobcats should join that list.

Boolit Master
    Until 10/15 years ago I hadent seen more than three in my life. In the last few years Ive killed 5 and called up two more that I couldn't close the deal on. Our local turkey population is way down. I suspect the surge in cats has something to do with that.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Nice going. Most of the predators I've put down have been with my 1911 Kimber 45; not because I'm any kind of great predator hunter, it's because during my bumbling around in the sticks I happened to spook up more predators than I've ever been able to intentionally call in.

I do like to predator hunt but I'm not very good at it. I can count all the predators I've ever attempted to call in on the fingers of both hands and still have a couple of fingers left over. I've lost count all the ones I've spooked up and shot with my .45. It's just that bringing that side arm up to the firing position was always faster than bringing my rifle into play.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Nice!

I saw the first one I’ve ever seen while hunting this year. A young one walked by 20 yards from my deer blind during archery season. My male cat who protects the property purrimeter is 16 pounds of Tomcat and about 30% bigger so I never even thought about shooting.

Boolit Master
    My hunting buddy mentioned a possible scenario. What if the cat had ran back and jumped in my lap? Well, I said this story would have been a lot more exciting.

Boolit Man
    Nice Bob-cat, 10-4 on the "pays to have back-up" part too

I always keep a sixgun along; if trapping, scouting huntin' areas, riding pastures by the cows, even doing field-work around the farm, you just never know when you'll need something. My six-gun has come in handy more than once!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    My hunting buddy mentioned a possible scenario. What if the cat had ran back and jumped in my lap? Well, I said this story would have been a lot more exciting.
    OMG!!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Fantastic...definitely good to have back up...Congrats on a nice cat.
    Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Not many kitties where I hunt but there are many other good reasons for having a backup, namely hogs. This season it's been my EDC .45ACP but I like to tote a .45 Colt Ruger when I can. Nice looking old Colt, well played!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	210561

Yesterday afternoon I was about 100 yds from where the previous incident took place. Wasn't seeing any deer so I squeaked a few times on my Burnham Bros mini-blaster. This came running in. The old smoke pole went bang this time.

Boolit Grand Master

Good job, nice kitty!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Yup, definitely a cat problem in SW Missouri. We should all drive over and pitch in to help Wolfer out! Road trip anyone??
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown