Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat PITA

Boolit Buddy

Powder Coat PITA

I know many people here powder coat and so do I. It works great and its super clean but I hate sitting there pulling my boolits one by one out of my tumble container and standing those up on the tray. It takes forever and it really kills my shoulders and back at this point. I know people do full baskets and just separate later on but I like how nice my boolits look when I take my time and do those individually. Every boolit is nice and smooth with solid clean coat. It just takes so **** long to do it.

So now I have about a 1000 of 9mm and another 1000 of 45s that need PC but I'm dragging my feet to go down to my basement and PC those. I'm trying to talk myself into going down there tonight after work but its going to be hard

But they come out looking so **** sexy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45PCcloseup.jpg   38Special.jpg  

That is the worst part of the PC process for sure.

Boolit Master
    I find that raising my work surface just a few inches

decreases the amount I have to bend over

Every little bit helps.

Boolit Master
    That is the main reason I quit PC and went with HI-Tek, the more I done the more my hands cramped.

i put them in one of those black plastic trays that 9mm come in. fast to drop them in then just flip it on the tray, i wear nitrie gloves when i do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to find easier way to do this. Results are great but its very time consuming as you all know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCSetup.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	210328
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	210329

Banned

I dump them from the shake container into a little pan to separate the powder and BB's.
    then from that into another container I pick them out of and stand up.
    I hold the container down lower and move the bullets up onto the tray from there.
    it is about work ergonomics.

boring is one thing boring and painful is something else.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've been sizing and loobing my cast bullets for more than 50 years and at 72 years of age I determined that I do not, repeat, do not find nor feel a need to reinvent my particular wheel. It looks nice as a finished product but so far I haven't seen a color that will induce me to go to the extreme of PCing; either as in powder coating or politically correcting........

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoy powder coating to the point I cast so I could powder coat, for me its relaxing and since I am retired time is of no importance. After powder coating for 3 years there is no way I am ever going back to the greasy lube process which I hated with a passion.

Take a plastic strainer drill out the holes so the bb fall through onto a cookie sheet or something to catch extra powder and bb .
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Buddy
    I started out that way standing up each bullet one at a time ,I don't have the time or patience for that . now I shake the bullets up in a cool whip bowl then I dump into 2 small buckets with one stacked in the other the inner bucket has several small holes drilled in the bottom of it I swirl it around till the excess powder is in the outer bucket then I pull the inner bucket out and gently dump it onto toaster oven tray covered in nonstick foil .then I gently shake the tray back and forth till theres no bullets stacked on top of each other then put in oven and bake . I don't use airsoft bb's , never have . when they come out of oven I shake the tray and or bump it on the bench to shake everything loose then dump into a bucket of water with a strainer in it then pick up the strainer out of bucket and dump the bullets onto a dry towel and break apart any that are sticking together , theres usually a few but not many

Banned
    I do something similar
    I swirl with BB's
    Dump into a colander with holes large enough for the BB's and powder to drop into a round cake pan
    **make sure you shake all the excess powder off**
    I dump them into a wire basket, shake the basket to even out the boolits then bake.
    I get no wire marks and almost no sticking.
    (different powders will stick together more than others) these can easily be separated by hand and any stubborn on a light tap with a small leather mallet (4 oz I use for casting) will easilly seperate them with occasional minor marks

thread on this
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ange-PC-method

Boolit Buddy
    I tried using wire basket but I had many stuck really bad together and to the wire basket as well. Its probably because I like pretty thick layer of PC on my boolits so when they touch for any reason they are really stuck together to the point that some clumps went straight to smelting pile. I know many have good success with wire baskets though so maybe I need to ease up on PC when I do it.

I can cast for hours which I love. Boring? Maybe for some but i dont mind. I really wouldnt mind PCing neither but its killing my back and my shoulder really bad. Sucks getting old. I know I'm only 42 and many here are way older then me but I'm still going to complain anyway
    Last edited by marek313; 12-26-2017 at 06:05 PM.

We all have challenges in life. Mine is not having enough money to retire, so I get to work until I die.

I did have fun back when I could, and I still have a pretty good time most of the time.

Sure could use a Lottery Win.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

It's all just part of the process. My work table is almost 48" high, I stand , then sit in a bar stool, then go P, cause I'm getting to that age and do some more. That is my time. Being self employed, some of y'all understand, there ain't much "my time". I want to do it at a leisurely pace, with a cold one close by...

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Sorry to hear you have physical limitations that hinder you PC experience. Fortunately I can pic-n-set all day long with no problems. ESPC is easier because I can about dump raw boolits on the foil. Align them in rows with a ruler and spray the powder on easily and quickly.

Pic-n-set is about the only way to do it if you want excellent coverage without grooves adn lay marks that can throw the boolit out of balance.

Good luck with boolit coating whichever method(s) you employ.

Boolit Master

I just do a couple hundred at a time and not psyche myself out by thinking about the 2k. I don't mind it taking a few sittings to get it done instead of a painful marathon.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Easy Peezy does it...'Easy Pickins'

Dump the bowl onto a cookie sheet in a pile in the middle, PC, BB's and casts all together...
    Grab the sheet on the narrow end and pull it back and forth on the bench top several times...
    All the casts will roll out sideways to each other...as they roll out in the PC, any dings or blemishes will re-coat themselves especially on the drive bands where it matters most.
    Now you can tweezer them or grab them with gloved hand and stack them quick.

They will point in two directions...after picking all the convenient ones just flip the sheet around 180* and pick the remainder.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

the link in post #18 is the one I started

using it I find the PC process goes very quickly. While one is cooking (baking?) I can do three more so they're ready to go

I made my own wire trays from a wire pizza rack I found at wally world--pop rivets to hold it together.

once they come out of the oven I dump them on a wooden tray I made (like woodworking, too) and roll them back and forth to separate any that might be stuck together.

now I find I'm casting so I can PC . . . and I really like casting, too
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5354-p...ullet-accuracy Accuracy test.

I'm with Guesser to old to change. (73)
    Last edited by 243winxb; 12-27-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast