Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting steel ? >>>Projectiles bounce back !<<<

Boolit Master
    I'm not tell anyone anything they don't already know, but the majority of the zingers that come back at cha are from dimpled/pockmarked steel. Angled or steel set up on chains (or best of all, both) rarely causes the duck reflex.

Rifle grade steel is a worthwhile investment, but if your buddies just want to shoot a few rounds of whatever from their AR or AK, politely refuse.....

Boolit Master

When I was a kid about 12 years old I was out pinging with a single shot 22 and shot the metal band around a electrical support pole the bullet bounced back and hit me in the chest in the heart,I was very lucky that I was wearing a pretty heavy winter coat and no damage to me other that it hurt.It could have been a tragic mishap but it taught me a safety lesson I have not forgotten in about 65 or so years don't shoot at metal objects that are heavier than a beer can
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

When I shot CAS, a lot of bullet bounce back. They are only going 500-700fps, & many are too hard to deform & even then, a 200gr bullet flattened is still formidable under 10y.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Years ago I learned that some wood can also be dangerous! A good while back buddy just had to have a Judge, he picked one up. Brought it along one day and after our morning long range fun off to the pistol area we go. Brand new plywood (not chip board) on 15 yard line, he started with the cartridges and saved the shot shells for last. I am standing on his left loading 1911 mags and he pops one off, next thing I know my legs are on fire. I am dancing around to his wonder/laughter followed by a no way from him. His disbelief turned into name calling and then a poor judgement position switch soon followed, now there is one more believer!

Boolit Buddy
    My gun club does not allow steel gongs unless they are hung at a 15° angle downwards. I never realized the true riccochet hazard until recently shooting subsonic ammo with a supressor. You literally hear a violent whirling from the copper and lead shraphnel in all directions when you don't have the traditional supersonic muzzle blast . Note that subsonic ammo is only traveling at about 1050 fps, shooting supersonic is 2400 +

Many years ago there was a news report in which a 22lr bullet entered a U-shaped bent pipe in the berm. The bullet struck either the shooter or someone else at the firing line in the heart, killing them.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    20 years ago at a IHMSA match, my son was hit in the thigh from a 7mm copper jacket after bouncing off a silhouette target. My son was 25 yards behind the firing line when hit. He still carries the bullet in his leg. My wife nearly killed me over that one. /Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Been shooting IHMSA silhouettes since it started in the late 70s.. l have never personally seen anyone lnjured by a ricochete boolet. 25yd chickens are our closest targets in Field Pistol. l have witnessed a couple of falling plate and cowboy matches... Those steel targets are too close for me. l have been cut once in all my shooting days.. l once tried the old movie trick of the padlock being shot off its hasp. 0nce was enough!! l wont try THAT again.

ps. Don't believe all you see on TV/Movies.. ESP the news!!!

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

We were in florida on vacation one year and visited an old army watch post on the coast. The old log book was sitting on a table and was open to a particular log in witch the writer described an incident where they were trying to make a device to smooth out the gravel road to the outpost. They were going to bore holes in a piece of rr rail and drag it behind the trackter. They couldn't find a bit to drill the holes so one soldier decided his 03 would do the job. He fired point blank at the rr rail and the bullet bounced back and entered his chest just below his left forearm and pierced his heart. The writer said death was very quick and he did not suffer.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I was watching LEOs qualify on their improvised range. All of their target frames were constructed from angle iron with cardboard backers. One fellow was firing his snub nose .38 Special with the issue wadcutter training ammo when he shouted and fell to the ground. The range officer immediately shut down the line and investigated the issue. The shooter said at the sound of his last shot he could see the boolit coming straight back at him but had no time to react and move away from it. He was hit on the forehead between the eyes and just above the eye brows, made a small gash with light blood loss. The boolit was not found. His employer gave him 3 days off with pay to recover from the incident. The target frames were taken down that very day. On the day after this happened this shooter was spotted on a local golf course with a bottle of Scotch in his hip pocket. Rather than go to a hospital for treatment he decided on the "home remedy" approach to the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    Many years ago I was watching LEOs qualify on their improvised range. All of their target frames were constructed from angle iron with cardboard backers. One fellow was firing his snub nose .38 Special with the issue wadcutter training ammo when he shouted and fell to the ground. The range officer immediately shut down the line and investigated the issue. The shooter said at the sound of his last shot he could see the boolit coming straight back at him but had no time to react and move away from it. He was hit on the forehead between the eyes and just above the eye brows, made a small gash with light blood loss. The boolit was not found. His employer gave him 3 days off with pay to recover from the incident. The target frames were taken down that very day. On the day after this happened this shooter was spotted on a local golf course with a bottle of Scotch in his hip pocket. Rather than go to a hospital for treatment he decided on the "home remedy" approach to the event.
    I didn't treat my rebounding bullet head wound with golf and scotch.
    I used Wild Turkey 101.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Do what you gotta do to recover. Nothing like a round of golf to remind you how much more fun you would have if you went shooting!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I didn't treat my rebounding bullet head wound with golf and scotch.
    I used Wild Turkey 101.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Your gonna make me 'YAK'....I got sick off that stuff in 66 on the 'Salt Grass Trail Ride' in Brenham the first night...now I can't even smell it without gagging! that was 51 years ago. I guess that lesson stuck!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

One range where I used to compete had the steel mounted to the stands with a carriage bolt passed through the target and then an automotive valve spring. The target gave a little on impact and while it didn’t stop all ricochets it certainly helped. Light loads using cast boolits probably ricochet worse than faster ones.

A friend needed a couple of stitches after an open class bullet jacket bounced off of a steel plate and punctured his arm. He was tall. The jacket passed through a group of people around him at their eye level.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Do what you gotta do to recover. Nothing like a round of golf to remind you how much more fun you would have if you went shooting!
    PI$$ ON GOLF ! Waste of a good target range
    Last edited by Pressman; 03-30-2018 at 09:41 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The accepted minimum safe distance to shoot steel targets with pistols is 15 yards.
    Randy
    Accepted by who?

Boolit Master
    IDPA rule 2.14 Steel Targets must be engaged from 10 yards or more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12