Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 308 Ruger Gunsite Scout with 110 SP

Boolit Bub

308 Ruger Gunsite Scout with 110 SP

My girlfriend wants some light loads for her 308 Ruger Scout so I picked up some 110 grain Spire points and loaded 10 with 39 grains of 30+ year old IMR 4895 and 10 with 39.2. The book says 42.4 to start, am I creating a dangerous outing for us starting at 3 grains light for a minimum load

Thanks
    Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon

Boolit Master

Off the top of my head I'd say that sounds light ,4895 is so versatile and can be do n loaded but like 70%, for small light mouse fart loads using a pinch such as "the load" 10 grains of unique would be a better starting point.

Boolit Master

You are fine. H4895 can be reduced up to 60% of max for reduced loads, so take a book max and multiply by .6 for a reduced starting load. I used a 125 g bullet over 38 grains in my 30-06 for the wife. Search for "hodgdons 4895 reduced recoil loads".
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

uhjohnson: As stated above 4895 is down loadable to 60% fill the case to the base of the seated bullet, weigh this charge and multiply by .6 and that's Hodgdons minimum charge. Also +1 on 10 to 11gr. Unique or around 8gr. of TiteGroup. Gp

Boolit Master

I miss understood yes you should be fine in that window; I thought you meant starting at 3 grains; and see mistakes happ n seems it was 60% and not 70% . For a reduced load in 308 you'll will be fine I use less of 4895 for cat sneeze loads in 30-30