RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: inductive brass annealing

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There is plenty of information available in a Google search. And then there are these:
    http://www.fluxeon.com
    https://www.ampannealing.com
    http://www.ez-anneal.com

This isn't a new process. It seems you haven't researched it at al.
    I never said it was a new process, I'm well aware it's been around for a long time. As for researching it, I only did a fairly cursory search as I'm not THAT interested in it to spend hours searching - and as you know a lot depends on how you word things when searching. Thank you for the links. Here in South Australia we have the most expensive electricity in the world (not bad for a supposedly First World country!) so something like this is definitely not on my agenda.

Jmorris, did you use off-the-shelf components to build these units or did you do this from scratch? Where did you go for information on how to build them? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I anneal with the torch/saw blade style too.

My (limited) experience with induction heating is limited to silicon crystal growth, the machine was a custom build and is now owned by Samsung. Very little was off the shelf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B1E3312C-C039-4F50-9B53-D8DAF3B4820A.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

inductive brass annealing

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I never said it was a new process, I'm well aware it's been around for a long time. As for researching it, I only did a fairly cursory search as I'm not THAT interested in it to spend hours searching - and as you know a lot depends on how you word things when searching.
    All you have to type is induction annealer. This is a case where the information is very easy to find. But this is also w/ Google US. Results are potentially different w/ Google Australia.

Boolit Master

Do a search on YouTube for “induction heater brass” and see what others have done using off the shelf parts.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    This is something id like to try. I saw those induction heaters around ebay too. Another thing i was looking at is using a salt bath for annealing. If sombody could find some plans i think this could be a cool idea i just see it being harder to automate than the gas types.

Boolit Bub
    I bought 2 of those induction units off Ebay. one larger than the other. They both will heat things but no where near enough power to anneal ctg. cases. Plus the units themselves get quite hot to where concern for self destructing becomes an issue.
    Save your money!
    Pete

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfal View Post
    I bought 2 of those induction units off Ebay. one larger than the other. They both will heat things but no where near enough power to anneal ctg. cases. Plus the units themselves get quite hot to where concern for self destructing becomes an issue.
    Save your money!
    Pete
    That really is a bummer i guess salt bath or torches for me thanks for the info.

Induction annealing works great in my experience. With my homebrew setup I can manually do about about 300 .223 Rem cases in ~20 minutes or about 150 WSM cases in about the same time. I used to use a deep-socket, a hand drill, a propane torch and a pan of water but induction is much faster.

Here's a .30-06 case from room temperature to way-too-hot in about 9 seconds pulling nearly 600 watts. The case head remains cool enough to hold it with your fingers. The heat conducts to the rest of the case, eventually, but the case-head does not get hot enough to soften it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12