MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L Frame 44

Boolit Man

L Frame 44

Any one have any have long term use with a Model 69. I'm interested in knowing how they hold up with loads in the 1100 -1200 fps range ? Thanks, Jeff

Boolit Master
    I love mine. I guess I've had it not long after it was announced. I shoot two loads, 19 of WC 820(lot 47320)with Ballisti Cast 1103 and 20 grains with Mihec 503 penta point. Very accurate after fire lapping. Double action had some roughness but after shooting awhile it is very smooth. Single action is atypical Smith and Wesson dream trigger. Ive carried this gun all over the Beartooth mountains hiking,hunting and even when I was working. Not supposed to but mostly I worked alone so...........
    I guess my round count is over six thousand rounds by now with no issues and the poor thing looks it. I will continue to carry it until I'm dead cause its my favorite. Shot lots of picket pins with it and some rockchucks. Lots of squirrels in northwest Montana when I'm bear hunting.

I’ve had mine since Nov 2013. It’s been a work horse, shooting everything from 44spl Trailboss loads by my wife, up to my 2400 loads with 255gr Keith type bullets. I did shoot 250rds of Factory jacketed bullets to smooth it out. I did have Herrett Jordan Troopers made for it, which, in my honest opinion, turned a good gun into a great gun. The factory grips didn’t feel right, and my shooting showed. It’s going to be my Montana trail gun when we relocate there in Feb. I like it, and so does my wife, so much that my next purchase will be another M69 for her.

Boolit Man
    Some like the factory grips on them. Like your self Bluelund79 dont care for them with even with midrange loads... Jeff

Boolit Buddy

Paul105 over on the single actions site has done quite a bit of work with the model 69.

I have one in each barrel length but haven’t done too much with them yet. I think they make a dandy 44 Special that has the capability to shoot magnums.

Boolit Master
    Paul 105 is on this site as well as the Smith and Wesson forum. He has both the 4-1/4" version and the 2-1/2"(?) snubbie and he loves them both. He has done extensive testing on both the model 69 and the Smith 329. I suggest if anyone wants to read some fine write-ups, do a "search function" and you will be rewarded.
    I have a Model 69 4-1/4", and I sent it back to Smith for rework right after I bought it. It was soo rough when shooting single action, it felt like two files rubbing together. I took the side plate off and saw that the hammer was rubbing severely on the sideplate. Smith fixed that issue nicely and when I got it back I replaced the rebound slide spring with an 11 pound Wolff and installed a Patridge front sight. Now I have a fine, smooth operating revolver with a decent front sight and I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can give it a good work out.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I've put probably 300 rounds of .44spl Skeeter loads through mine, which to me is about the perfect load for that gun. I've also shot maybe 75-100 rounds of various magnum loads through it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I've had mine since they came out and really like the gun. Light, easy to carry with that relatively short tube (the 4-1/4" one), and authoritative with either the Skelton load or 1200 fps Magnums what's not to like? I also own 3 Ruger flat tops, a Smith 24 with 6-1/2" bbl. and a 5" Smith M-629. To be honest, that light M-69 gets carried a lot here on the farm and the others have become range guns.

Grips make a big difference and I quickly found that the factory supplied ones were comfortable, prevented middle knuckle rap, but were just too ugly to put up with. I changed them out for a pair of Altamont Conversion Target's...which fit my hands like those old, mid-50's S&W coke bottle types, and they're beautiful to boot! While not quite as good at minimizing knuckle rap from the trigger guard, they are good enough with Skeeter's load. If you get one, you might look into Jerry Miculek's signature grips. I have a pair on a M-57 that are just right for DA work and absorb the recoil of that .41 well.

Loads: Skelton's favorite with Unique and 240 gr LSWC's at 950 fps, is what I mostly use. I have tried 2400 up to near 1200 fps but the gun's light weight makes that level uncomfortable. All told, I have around 2000 rounds through it, with 200 of them the higher velocity stuff. Accuracy is quite good, < 2" at 25 yds from a rest if my eyes are up to speed. Unique is a good powder, but Winchester 231, Herco, or WSF are equally good or better (the Winchester types meter well through my Dillon 550B), and all three are cleaner burning while giving the same or better accuracy than Unique.

Boolits:, personal favorite is Lyman's 429215GC, cast ACWW with a pinch of tin. It's easier in recoil, a growing factor as I approach my mid-70's, and it's economical as WW's have become harder to find. Another good choice is the heavier Thompson design: 429244GC. More clout if that is needed and the mold that I have, a relatively new one, casts easier than 429215GC. This lighter weight 215 has problems with air vent groove fins and the top is galled. Still, it casts an accurate slug.

Other fine choices are any of the Mihec H&G 503 clone types. I've got several that throw slightly different dia. bullets. Sizing is a continuing issue for me: as all of my handguns in .44 Spl or Magnum, prefer 0.430" (4 Rugers and both Smith's M-69 & M-629). My Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum, however, prefers 0.432+" when possible. I don't shoot that carbine as much so the oversize sizing is not a problem [BTW: I clearly mark the bullet boxes and loaded rounds]. In that 20" Marlin barrel, Lyman's version of the old Thompson lighter bullet stands out: #429215GC. It'll do an inch at 50 yds with a 2.5x Leupold Alaskan, 7/8" dia. scope mounted.

Quality: Smith still makes a good gun, even with that cursed internal lock and odd looking sleeved barrel. But truth be told, I no longer even notice either feature and just enjoy the piece for its intrinsic accuracy.

Trigger: good in SA, as you'd expect with any Smith, but the DA is a cpl pounds heavier than my 629 or the M-24. I'd like to have it done by Smith sometime, but realistically, I rarely shoot it DA. I have a M-19 that I religiously fire only in DA mode that more than adequately fills that niche in my shooting. The .44's, all of them, are SA guns for longer shots taken when in the field...I just don't use any of them for concealed carry.

HTH's Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 01-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.

3 year owner here, shot everything from kitten fart loads to 1350fps hot loads. My typical is 20gr 2400 under a PC'd lee 240gr, there's been a ton of warm 296 loads as well through it. It is the perfect general purpose revolver. It is! I'd say keep factory grips, they're fast and grippy enough, recoil is of little concern, I shoot alot of 500mag, so this is less in comparison. The trigger smoothed out fine, but my hammer spring tension screw has habitually come loose, I just put it back in from time to time, and all is well.

bpatterson84, on that hammer spring tension screw. Remove it and use acetone or alcohol to clean off any oil on the screw and the screw hole. On the screw hole use a Q-tip with cleaner on it. You might have to remove some the cotton to make the Q-tip go into the screw hole. Replace the tension screw after putting a drop of blue lock tite on it. You can also use some of your wife's nail polish if you do not have any lock-tite around. Just screw the tension screw in where you want it and let the lock-tite or nail polish set up. Screw will not back out anymore and it is still easy to remove with a screwdriver if you need too.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Going to have to take another look at these 69's. I have wanted a 5 shot 3" for some time and the 696's are going plumb crazy in price.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Go for it Mike, I think you'll really enjoy it!

This gun (2.75" M59) has become one of my favorites.

First of all, this particular specimen is a SHOOTER!

Took it to the range a while back to check some 310gr Lee FNGCs for crimp jump. Managed to hit 4 of 5 metal targets at 30 yds offhand (see picture) – pulled one slightly right. Crimp needs a bit of adjustment.

Finished up shooting offhand for pleasure with my standard load of 17.5gr A2400, under a 265gr SWCGC, seated deep in 44 mag brass (crimped over front drive band). For those that think this is a wimp load, it chronographs the same as Fed Factory 240gr ammo (1,120 fps from 2 3/4” bbl at 5 long paces.

Shot 30 rnds (old bones tire easily) at metal targets from 30 to 70 yds with satisfying results.

Can’t get over how much FUN this gun is to shoot (with Hogue 500 X Frame Rubbers). No problem for me to conceal, but I dress “SLOPPLY” according to my wife.

Here’s a 50 yard target (verified with second group) shot rested off my range bag.

Moderate 44 special level load

Some chrono data:

Chronoed these from the 2.75” M69. Three rounds at 5 Long paces from muzzle and 68 deg F. Larger sample could change the results a bit. Largest ES was 42 fps.

260 WFNGC w/23.0gr H110 avg 1,125 fps
    240 Zero JSP with 23.5gr H110 avg 1,126 fps
    240gr Fed Factory avg 1,125 fps
    265gr CSWCGC (Lyman Thompson) with 17.5gr A2400 (Deep Seat) 1,119 fps avg
    325gr WLNGC (BTB) with 22.0gr H110 avg 1,104 fps

For comparison purposes these were shot a while back from my 4 ¼” M69: Same temp, distance from the muzzle.

260 WFNGC w/23.0gr H110 avg 1,224 fps
    240 Zero JSP with 23.5gr H110 avg 1,230 fps
    240gr Fed Factory avg 1,220 fps
    265gr CSWCGC (Lyman Thompson) with 17.5gr A2400 (deep seat) 1,140 fps avg
    325gr WLNGC (BTB) with 22.0gr H110 avg 1,182

In response to the OPs question:

One of my original 4 1/4" guns (bought in Q1 2014): At about 2,500 rounds thru #1 (mostly 265gr at 1,140 fps), the gun started binding in both single and double action. Sent it back to S&W on their dime. They “fixed the yoke and replaced the rear sight" to correct elevation probs w/mag ammo. Turnaround time from doorstep to doorstep was 3 weeks exactly. This was over a year ago -- another 500 rounds of Fed Fact and 265 @ 1,140 fps with no problems.

Gun #2 (4 1/4" bought Q1 2014) over 6,000 rounds. Starting to experience some carry up issues and needs to go back to S&W.

2 3/4" bought in early 2017. Over 1,200 rounds, mostly 260s over 23.0gr H110 still going strong.

I have a 3rd 4 1/4" function checked and sighted in residing in the safe in case S&W quits making this model.

My favorite .44 Mag platform

FWIW,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul105; 12-30-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Paul, is that at Rocker?
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    Going to have to take another look at these 69's. I have wanted a 5 shot 3" for some time and the 696's are going plumb crazy in price.
    Mike in Peru
    That is for sure. The 696 is in the $1200 asking range. Not sure any sell at that price, but that is what the conversation starts at.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Paul, is that at Rocker?
    yes it is

Boolit Bub
    Paul or anyone with both barrel lengths
    which lock up do you think is better? The one on the 4 1/4" or the one on the 2 3/4"? I am asking about the crane lock up in the frame verses the ejector rod housing notch.

thanks

Boolit Buddy

I have both versions, can’t tell any difference, they both lock up tightly.

I first saw a crane detention on the 629 carry comp, but I can’t remember if it was on the crane or the frame.

Boolit Buddy
    Practically, I don't think it makes any difference. Aesthetically, the 2.75" ball detent wins hands down (lock up out of sight, so nothing to complain about). Lots of hand ringing early on regarding alignment of the ball detent in the V Notch on the ejector shroud. Never heard of any problem associated with it.

I'm surprised that S&W didn't make the 2.75" gun a "-1" in keeping with "dashing" engineering changes. Wouldn't be surprised to see S&W standardize on one or the other eventually.

Newer version - 2.75"

Orginal 4 1/4" -- Only have picture of ball on yoke -- it fits into a v notch on the ejector shroud.

FWIW,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul105; 12-30-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Great write-ups Paul, thanx for the info. My Chrono has been on the fritz for a year now so I've been fumbling in the dark so to speak. That internal ball lock up would be preferable to my way of thinking but S&W may have cost issues to deal with when they make the final decision. I'd like it better than the one on my 69. Rod

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone for the info on the ball detents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast