Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: did i ever tell you I live in Christmas!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My wife was born and raised in L'Anse-so I've been through Christmas a number of times. Many years ago, when we were in college, we broke down in Christmas in the wee hours of the morning as we were on our way to her folks for a holiday. State Police stopped and then went and got a fellow they knew who could help us out - he wouldn't take a dime for his help and I've never forgotten his great kindness to a couple of newlyweds.

I would imagine you are probably waist deep in snow by now? Hope you had a nice Christmas in Christmas and best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!

Boolit Master
    And believe it or not there is a Christmas, Florida! Take SR 50, out of Titusville and you will run right through it. There is even a fort Christmas! The town got its name during the second Seminole war in 1837. Just an example of the Plethora of useless knowledge I possess!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned

yup smelting, pasties and cudighi are 3 of our hidden secrets. Nothing like a smelt net, a nice fire and a box of beer!! My sister and her husband have a home on Little shag. So does my brother in laws parents. 1985 is the year I left Gwinn too. at the time I worked at the power plant in Marquette and drove every day from Gwinn. I took a job in Escanaba at a different power plant that year and moved there. Worked there for 5 years and ended up here as an electrical lineman. Other then 8 years in the military ive been up here all my life. Winters get old as I get older but I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Sad though. the way that base looks know theyd have been better off bulldozing it flat
    Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post
    Yea I knew that Sawyer closed, I've been assigned to 4 different bases that have been closed. In my opinion the Government closed some good bases and yes its sad to see those base a few years after they close. They are normally turned over to the state or county and they don't have the funds to keep them up like the military did. I was assigned to the F106 unit and that unit was deactivated in 1985 which was the reason I left K.I. We lived on base and our son went to school in Gwinn. The last month we were in the UP we rented a cabin on Little Shag lake and I put my boat in and fished every single day until we left. It was great fun and good memories. We enjoyed snowmobiling, ice fishing, smelting (that was an experience), summer time fishing and camping.

wcp4570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup smelting, pasties and cudighi are 3 of our hidden secrets. Nothing like a smelt net, a nice fire and a box of beer!! My sister and her husband have a home on Little shag. So does my brother in laws parents. 1985 is the year I left Gwinn too. at the time I worked at the power plant in Marquette and drove every day from Gwinn. I took a job in Escanaba at a different power plant that year and moved there. Worked there for 5 years and ended up here as an electrical lineman. Other then 8 years in the military ive been up here all my life. Winters get old as I get older but I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Sad though. the way that base looks know theyd have been better off bulldozing it flat
    Eventually they will.....bulldoze it......like most government "Project Housing".
    Lloyd I'm not in the UP but winters seem to be more problematic for me...woke up it is -4F and I just want to roll over and go back to bed. I just hate going out to clear out the mess that the plow dumped in my driveway approach.

Boolit Buddy
    I think about you Everytime my wife and I head to the UP. She is from the Escanaba/Gladstone area, and went to NMU before graduating and moving to Grand Rapids and then Ohio when we got together. Her dad lived at KI after retiring from the military. She still has family in Marquette and Esky. It is tempting to move up that way, it is the nine plus hr drive North and uprooting the kids from what they know that holds me up.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Banned

the wife is from Escanaba. I lived there myself for 6 years. Nice town and only about half the snow we get here in Munising/Christmas. If you ever decide to come up you might want to look at that area as the winters are much closer to what you are used to in Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by cattleskinner View Post
    I think about you Everytime my wife and I head to the UP. She is from the Escanaba/Gladstone area, and went to NMU before graduating and moving to Grand Rapids and then Ohio when we got together. Her dad lived at KI after retiring from the military. She still has family in Marquette and Esky. It is tempting to move up that way, it is the nine plus hr drive North and uprooting the kids from what they know that holds me up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    That is way cool.....still believe in Santa?
    Buckwheatpaul, I am 43 and I believe in Santa Clause, Santa Clause Indiana that is. It is just up the road from us.

In Remembrance

Back in the `60`s when my group of friends went to the U.P. deer hunting we would make a detour and drive thru your burg. Thank`s for reminding me about the place, I had almost forgot about it. At one time we hunted in Paradise up by White Fish Point.Robert

Never been to Christmas, MI, but I went to Hell, MI one year ON Christmas day! Was working on the road then, living in motels. Happened to be in MI, had nothing else to do. Only time I was ever away from home on Xmas, ate Xmas dinner in some restaurant in Hell. 1986 I think, don't miss those days much.

Banned

that's some real pretty country. Problem there is snow. they get it even worse then us. theres lake affect snow there probably 90 percent of days all winter long. Its why he deer heard is small around there. Winters take there toll on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Back in the `60`s when my group of friends went to the U.P. deer hunting we would make a detour and drive thru your burg. Thank`s for reminding me about the place, I had almost forgot about it. At one time we hunted in Paradise up by White Fish Point.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I'm from Tapiola just South of Houghton. Used to go through Christmas all the time visiting family. May have stopped in Foggy's once or twice on the way back! The last few winters were tough on our deer over here too. About 2012-13 our deer herd was huge, now I'm hunting hard to find shootable deer back in the thick stuff.

Eric

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    ericp - "Tapiola" . . . I'm trying to say it right . . . Tapi OOO la!. That brought back some fond memories as well. When my wife and I were going back and forth to L'Anse when her folks still lived there, she had a classmate that was from Pelkie. Every year, when we were up there, it wasn't a complete trip for me until we went out to the Pelkie Coop so I could buy a new pair of work boots. Beautiful country up there and I always enjoyed deer hunting with my father-in-law up there. I never got a deer but sure did enjoy the beauty of the woods not to mention Lake Superior!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    No joke. I live on jinglebell lane in Christmas Michigan!
    Ah, but Santa lives at the North Pole, which is in Alaska. North Pole, AK 99705
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Bedbug,
    Sad to say the Co-op is long gone and even the Pelkie school has shut down. Recently there has been talk of taking away the post office down there which would be a real bummer. Good news is the Ottawa Sportsman's Club is going strong and we still have Karvakko's Market up in Tapiola! Not sure what heaven looks like but I really can't imagine it being much different than the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Eric

Banned

he probably just winters down south here
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Ah, but Santa lives at the North Pole, which is in Alaska. North Pole, AK 99705

Banned
    Its cold here in Iowa at -1 right now and I cannot imagine how cold it is up there near the lakes.

Banned

here in Munising this time of the year its usually about 5-10 degrees warmer then the surrounding towns. We get winds off of lake superior and the water is warmer then the air right now and that gives us a bit of warmth but also gives us piles of lake effect snow. Its gotten a smidge below zero a couple times but for the most part over the last couple weeks temps have been hovering around 10 degrees here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12