Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Need to roll crimp .45 Auto Rim

Boolit Buddy

Need to roll crimp .45 Auto Rim

My RCBS 45 Auto dies we’re purchased in the early 70s and have a roll crimp ring in the seat die but is not enough to put a real roll into the crimp groove on the Keith SWC’s .
    Can any of you Brothers recommend a decent roll crimp die/method for the Auto rim ctg ?

Boolit Master

RCBS sells a separate 45 ACP roll crimp die that might be better than your 1970's vintage one. I think Brian Pearce mentioned using one in a fairly recent issue of Handloader magazine.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/13396

Plan B: Find a 45 Colt seater die and grind the bottom off of it.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 12-24-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added more info

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a set of Lee .45 acp dies and the proper shell holder to do .45 AR ammo for my recently aquired S&W 25-2.
    They do a decent job ob the Roll crimp on a 255 RF boolit.
    This week I am loading some 200 Gr HG 68 slugs and will see how it does with them.
    The set also came with the Factory Tapered crimp die.
    Since this is a revolver, I would like to find and try some heavy Wad Cutter or Semi Wad Cutters boolits or a mold for them.
    I am still looking for some info on loading the Heavy Boolits in the AR cases.

Boolit Master

The RCBS seater die marked 45 A.R. for Auto Rim provides a roll crimp. Long out of production I think.

You might investigate the Redding Profile Crimp die and the Dillon AccuCrimp die. The Dillon 45 ACP die is a taper crimper, but the 45 Colt AccuCrimp die is a roll crimper similar to the Redding. It has a removable insert, which would make it easy to shorten. The Redding die is specific for the 45 Auto Rim - $$, but just what is wanted.

Banned

have you tried them with a taper crimp? You might find out they shoot just fine like that. Unless your burning large doses of slow burning powder a heavy rolled crimp isn't as important as what some would make you think.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Lee Factory crimp die for my .45acp/.45 Auto Rim S&W Model 625. The Lee Factory crimp die comes set up for taper crimping. However, Lee also offers a roll crimp insert together with a needed spacer to go along with it. The roll crimp insert is shorter than the taper crimp insert so must use the spacer. The two pieces cost about $7.50, as I remember. Both inserts work perfectly, by the way.

I would suggest you call Lee on the phone to order the insert and spacer. They are easily swapped without using any tools or disturbing the die adjustments. Really a good piece of gear.

Dale53

Boolit Master

Need to roll crimp .45 Auto Rim

RCBS makes a roll crimp die for 45 acp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Love Life; 12-25-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've roll crimped and taper crimped .45 ACP and Auto Rim. Both methods have worked fine for both cartridges, but accuracy has been slightly better for me using a taper crimp in each one. Regardless of crimp type, use just enough crimp to prevent bullet movement under recoil, and no more.

Boolit Master

The Lee die set for a .455 Webley should do the job, and has the added benefit of being cheap. Be a lot easier than whacking off the bottom of a .45 Colt die.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I was loading .45 ACP on my Dillon 550 when I got a Smith 1955 Target and a 1917 revolver. Disliking the half moon clips available at the time, I bought a bunch of .45 Auto Rim cases and the corresponding Dillon shell plate. Guess I was dumb as I changed out the shell plate and loaded 1000 .45 AR rounds, all taper crimped. That was about 1995 and the results were good then and they still are. Forget the roll crimp.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    BigSlug nailed it! I use the Lee .455 Webley die set with the appropriate shell holder.

I also use the Accurate molds for the .455 Webley in my Auto Rim since both my S&W M1917 and .45 Hand Ejector Model of 1950 Military both have .456" cylinder throats.

DougGuy honed my Lee .454" push-through sizer to .455" and this works splendidiy.

I use 4 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Auto Rim with these Accurate bullets, I ordered mine to drop .455 in wheelweights:

Attachment 210220Attachment 210221
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Doesn't take much to shorten the RCBS 45 ACP seating and re chamfer the mouth just enough so the ACP die will roll crimp the AR cases. Adjust the seat die to crimp the AR cases. Then a spacer the right thickness can be used under the lock ring to set the die back out for ACP cases w/o having to readjust the die setting. That's what I did.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all for the knowledgeable info .
    Great web site with great People !

Boolit Master

Little late but I got a separate .45 Auto Rim Redding profile Crimp and it has been working for 20+ years.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a 45 Colt Lee crimp die and a 45 Auto Lee crimp die. I swapped the internal sleeve from the 45 Colt into the 45 Auto and used a filler to hold everything at the right height and it roll crimped my R-P and Starline 45 A.R cases beautifully. You'll need to experiment but it works.

Boolit Buddy
    Took Dale53's advice and ordered the Lee insert and spacer for my .45acp factory crimp die .
    Until they get here , I think I'll try Guesser's swap out with the .45 Colt insert .
    Thanks Again Boys !

Boolit Buddy

I use a Redding profile crimp die for my .45 AR loads. I would not load .45 AR without it.

Boolit Buddy
    I do the same as Divil.