RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester Model 64A

Boolit Buddy

Winchester Model 64A

I picked this rifle up this past summer and haven’t spent as much time with it as I should.

The serial number is 35918XX which makes it an early 1970’s gun and it’s got some bumps and dings on the wood but the metal finish is dark shows very little wear.

The stocks finish is a little darker than the forearm, so I don’t know if it’s been replaced or not; but, that identified, I picked it up at a decent price so I’m not complaining.

I have shot it some with 170 grain Jwords and it shoots as well as any of my other 30/30’s with groups running around 2 to 2.5 inches at 100 yards off the bench with my handloads (nothing remarkable).

Last night I got to cleaning up the garage and found a couple of hundred Hi Tek coated .311 diameter 165 grain castboolits that needed to be shot up and I figured I’d see what it could do with cast.

I loaded up 30 rounds with 16.5 grains of IMR4198 and carried it out to the range and was fairly surprised at how well it shot cast.

My Labradar shows this load averages 1500 fps for ten rounds and is very accurate.

Due to the number of shooters on the firing line I couldn’t get downrange to take pics of the groups but suffice to say it likes that powder/boolit combo (right at 1 inch for 5 rounds at 75 yards).

Groups were about 6 inches low at that distance but like I said very good.

Although I have neglected it for the last few months, this one will move to the “front of the line” for a while with respect to levers going to with me to the range.

A few more pics:

Boolit Master
    Dad had a late '30s to '40s model 64 in 219 Zipper. He had it for I think 30+ years and finally sold it. It had a bad barrel. Barrel started trying make a U-turn after the 3rd or 4th shot.

Whether or not the forend was replaced, that's a sweet looking Winchester.

Seems to me you've got the makings of an enviable collection.
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 12-25-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad has a pair of 64 Winchesters with consecutive serial numbers in 32 Winchester and believe it or not are unfired! The model 64 is a great looking rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    The same shop I bought this one from had a pre 64 Model 64 in 32 Winchester Special that had been refinished top to bottom but the price was too high (for me).

I picked the above pictured 64A up for 500 bucks OTD and so far I haven’t been disappointed in its handling/performance.

Boolit Grand Master

That is sweet indeed......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    the 64A was an attempt to revive the pre64 model 64. it failed after 3 years. production started in 69 ended in 72. I have been looking to add one to the heard for years.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice! Need to take that girl to the dance more often for sure!

Boolit Master
    Have a pre model 64 in 32 special made inbetween the years of 35 & 1936. Have shot it only a couple times with Remington 170s. Targets ok. About the same as a 30-30 but no-wheres requiring the rear sight ramp on its highest notch. More like mid point on the ramp for 100 yard bulls-eye accuracy. The 64 having a longer barrel I suspect it has a longer reach with accuracy than the traditional 94 carbine. Found it out in the country in a mom & pop bait /gun shop. Has never been restored as far as I can make out. Although it sure is in pretty nice shape almost new looking for a old rifle. Whom ever owned it prior? I highly doubt hunted much with it. I paid some where's in the 350.00 to 400.00 ($) range. Looking at it as I type I notice there are no (drilled & tapped) holes to mount a Peep to its receiver side. I do notice only one original part is missing on the whole rifle. Barrels: front sight hood. The {steel bead} looking front sight appears in mighty fine new condition. i.e. hasn't been punch/hammered to its sides with a 16-D nail.
    Have a few 32s winnys so the 64 was cleaned & lubed for long term storage quite some time ago and will stay that way for awhile yet.

I remember lusting after the NRA commemerative Model 64 and the Model 94 Musket that were offered in the early 1970's. Dad's pre 64 30-30 was too ordinary!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Very nice rifle, should make a dandy cast shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    the 64A was an attempt to revive the pre64 model 64. it failed after 3 years. production started in 69 ended in 72. I have been looking to add one to the heard for years.

FYI, the Model 64A followed the 1871-1971 Model 94 NRA Rifle/Musket, and was the same rifle sans the black chrome receiver & commemorative finishes, made from 1972-74.

The nice thing about the 64A & the NRA guns is that they have the 1970 upgrades from the post-64 Model 94's, when Winchester replaced the post-64 stamped cartridge lifter with a solid/cast unit (and a few other internal goodies).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Love those model 64's. On my wish list.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate them greatly.

I took the 64A out this afternoon and ran some .309 sized 165 grain boolits and IMR 4227 thru it and it did fairly well.

After running a couple thru the rifle from the bench to check the POI, I ran the rest in the offhand at 100 yards at my 12” swinger and could not miss.

20 rounds offhand 100 yards:

Range conditions were perfect but I was losing light fairly quickly and as it started getting darker outside I was riding up the front sight little in the rear notch by the end of the string (trying to maintain a usable sight picture).

The rifle is a fantastic cast shooter.

It has an exceptional trigger and the extra 4 inches of sight radius (reference it’s 24” barrel” doesn’t hurt either.

I’ve got about a thousand 30/30 cases standing by to be trimmed and Incan see most of them (with cast) being fired through this one.

Sweet gun and shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks to me like that rifle should never leave your collection.

Hope you have heirs to whom you can pass this fine Winchester.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

My very first center fire rifle was a mdl 64. I bought it for the princely sum of $35.00 back in the mid 60's. It was/is a sweet shooting rifle. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I am looking to add another 94 to my collection as I had some and sold them. The one I had was a Sears but it still was a no brainer for shooting cast. My Marlin 336 waffle top is another. I have had excellent accuracy with cast out of the 30-30 and have taken deer with them. I like the heavier bullets and took the deer with a 188 grain cast, gas checked and driven at about 2000 fps. I also have shot the Lee 150 grain for plinkers and the Lee 170 which I would likely hunt with now. The barrel will be the same in a 64 as a 94 so it should be a good cast shooter.

DEP