RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: lee 160-312tl/2600fps+ part 1 pc'd bullets

lee 160-312tl/2600fps+ part 1 pc'd bullets

Finely got some time to start using a old 308w puma rifle that I re-barreled again to test a slower twist this time. Installed & tested the new bbl the other day, like what I saw so I bedded the stock.

Had a batch of the lee 160-312tl bullets I cast awhile back. I gas checked all of them and them pc'd part of them and used traditional lube on the rest in a lyman 450 sizer. I used ltb blue and 1 coat of 45/45/10 on the traditional lubed bullets. All bullets had home made al gc's installed and the pc'd bullets were sized to .311" with a lee push thru sizer. The traditionally lube bullets were sized to .311" in a lyman 450.

I didn't spend a lot of time sorting the bullets, was just casting plinking fodder and picked out any obvious flaws.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The cases used were nothing more than mixed nato range pick-ups, have no idea how many times they've been reloaded.
    Used H335 for powder, not the best choice by any means. Figured I was taking the bbl out for it's 1st run and wasn't sure what to expect with the plinking bullets/plinking cases.
    Had some magnum large rifle primers laying around, no idea how old they are.
    Used a filler (pillow stuffing)with all loads, the filler was up to the start of the necks of the 308w cases loosely packed on top of the powder.

Was 30* out with 7mph winds out of the west. Did 10-shot groups that were actually pretty surprising. As the velocities went up the sd's and es's shrank and so did the groups. The 37gr/2679fps load was 2 1/4" outside edge to outside edge. I'm sure with a little tuning/tweaking it wouldn't be hard to shave a little off that group.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty impressive for the 1st time out with the new bbl actually testing loads with only 4 fouling shots from a clean bbl. Need to re-test the 37gr load and do a 38gr string just to see if the groups keep tightening up.

Anyway, not a lot of people shooting pc'd bullets in the 2500fps+ range. So far 2650fps+/2" 10-shot groups are doable.

Boolit Grand Master

What was the new barrels twist?

Looking good.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    What was the new barrels twist?

Looking good.......
    Larry,
    I can't thank you enough for your input in these threads and for staying the course so you can aid/encourage others to push the limits of cast bullets in high powers.

Awhile back I asked about a 1 in 14 twist with a .340" match chamber. You replied to thread stating that bbl would be a good all around choice for cast and up to 168gr jacketed. I was actually looking at cast and 155 jacketed. You've forgotten more than I know when it comes to cast bullets in the high powers. So when you posted it was a good choice I ordered 1.

1 in 14 twist, 300/308, match 340" chamber, 30", tapered to the muzzle.

Again, I can't thank you enough Larry.
    Took the bbl out for the 1st time with mixed brass, old primers and a bullet most people don't like to use, then pc'd it and put it with a powder that most people consider bad for cast bullets and got a 10-shot 2650+fps 2" group.

Boolit Grand Master

That's an awesome set up, wait til you refine the loads a bit, you'll be amazed.

My pleasure to help. Merry Christmas to you and yours......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

H335 works fine. 1:10 carbine @ ~ 50yds, chronyd 2450 fps. 165gr cast. prone with bipod @ 34F.
    Attachment 210343
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    H335 works fine. 1:10 carbine @ ~ 50yds, chronyd 2450 fps. 165gr cast. prone with bipod @ 34F.
    Attachment 210343
    Are those the 35gr loads?

I like that 36 grain group, looks like 7 within 5/8''s ~ 3/4" vertical dispersion, prolly within .5~.8 grains to a node...especially now that your gonna get a little picky with the casts.

Very nice work right off of the bench for the first time.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

39gr. AR10 carbine. 4895 gave same fps. Alloy is 4% Sb & 0.5% Cu, WD. 24" upper runs 2700 fps, same accuracy. That target was from a really nasty shoot, after a sleet storm, laying on gravel with hand under stock for elevation control. Bout froze my rear off. Had just got the carbine upper, so good results.
    Last edited by popper; 12-27-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Whatever!