Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .308 to 6.5 CM.

In Remembrance

.308 to 6.5 CM.

Well, it'd sure be nice to be able to convert scrounged range pickup .308 brass to the shorter 6.5 Creedmoor! BUT, after trimming to length and resizing, the shoulder material of the .308 case making the new 6.5 CM neck........is too thick. The seated bullet expands the sized neck so that the outside diameter is too big by a few thou to chamber in my new Savage 10T-SR. Sixty-plus years of reloading and I don't know how to 'outside turn' the case necks. DUH! Can someone here please explain how to go about it? Is there a special small tool? I have a Lyman case trimmer, if that's any help. My pal has a great big lathe.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    I'm a make it out of what you have guy as well, and I know nothing about neck turning. That being said, Midway currently has Federal brand 6.5 CM on sale for a very good price....about $19/50 and $91/250. I just took the easy way and ordered 100. YMMV

In Remembrance
    Here's another option, and yes I've made those before.

When you size them leave the expander out of the die. Get the proper size reamer (math involved) and rream the neck. Remember your squeezing the case and the taper due to altering the neck is in the "INSIDE" of the new neck.

Once you ream the neck, simply resize with the expander in the die.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Inside neck reaming works very well, used that when forming up 243 from 308 in the past. (Reamed to 25 Souper then sized on down to 243, probably because 25 Souper was the reamer we could find, been "a while"...

Another option, for this one just don't way over turn the case necks (you don't want too thin a case neck!) is a "Case Neck Turner" (Pretty sure RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Forstner, etc. all make this for under $100 or so) - Usable for varminting or bench rest rounds as well, it lets you make your rounds all have the same neck thicknesses so the bullet tension will be pretty uniform through all of a loaded lot of rounds. It would also handle the excessive neck thickness from case forming. FL Size before turning, and do not cut into the shoulder very deeply at all, you want a nice uniform shoulder You will need a pilot to fit the inside of the cases' neck, and I found some necessity of polishing the pilots up and adding a little bit of lube for turning, so then you have to clean the cases, do NOT want lube in the necks in loaded rounds.

If you was to start with 7mm-08 or .243 Win. it would give you a thinner neck if it is easy to get

Boolit Master
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

In Remembrance

Yessir nicholst55, that's exactly what I was hoping someone would show me. TYVM! And thank y'all.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

I turn the necks on all my 6.5 CM brass anyway so that is certainly my vote on the fix. I had the same issue with 300 BO using some (mainly pmc) brass, fixed by turning the necks. This is far more accurate than reaming. I use a K&M neck turning tool.

Boolit Bub
    Question i want to neck turn some brass but how do you make sure the inside of the neck is perfectly round and concentric? i feel like its a waste to turn the outside if the inside is not perfectly round no?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Neck size it first, then turn the outside

Boolit Bub
    Try 243 brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    Question i want to neck turn some brass but how do you make sure the inside of the neck is perfectly round and concentric? i feel like its a waste to turn the outside if the inside is not perfectly round no?
    Outside neck turning uses a mandrel on the inside and pinches the brass between the cutter and the mandrel so it it cuts concentric.