Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Press that doesn't turn bench over?

I looked at the pictures of the Wamadet press which were on the link posted by Walter Laich. They looked well made but I don't understand how they work. Are they like an Arbor press? Neat looking design.
    regards,

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Wamadet press - The die moves, case holder stays in place; Directions at https://www.scribd.com/document/3247...DET-Portapress

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Something like this with enough 1ft square patio blocks added to the shelf to stabilize it.
    Attachment 210152

Really though, nothing beats attaching the back of the top to a wall for primer seating.
    I just picked up a tool stand like this for $5 at Goodwill. I have Forster Co-ax press I've been planning on setting up for an indoor press (way too cold to do anything in my unheated shop). I never thought of building a riser like that to put it over the center, it'll probably also help put it at a level conducive to using a normal chair to sit and work. Thanks for posting this.

I built a leg directly under the press with a flange that clamps to the table edge. Inflaming a C- vise grip, allows me to set the press off to the side and clear my small table. The base is a small farm disc blade, which widens the base too. It also allows me to raise the press above standard table height, which I prefer. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I just picked up a tool stand like this for $5 at Goodwill. I have Forster Co-ax press I've been planning on setting up for an indoor press (way too cold to do anything in my unheated shop). I never thought of building a riser like that to put it over the center, it'll probably also help put it at a level conducive to using a normal chair to sit and work. Thanks for posting this.
    Thanks for reading my post...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodenRiser.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	210641
    More info here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4239919
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-29-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Instead of changing your press, why not change your bench? This is cheaper than a new press, and it's as secure as it gets. The uprights are tied to the concrete floor below and the ceiling joists above.

NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Elkins - I really like what you did with the threaded rod. Been wanting to do that myself on a small bench. Thanks for posting the pics, very helpful.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Bub
    I use one of these with one of my Rock Chuckers mounted to it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/univer...tand-3184.html

I was recently running 9mm Lugar brass through a 9mm Mak sizing die and bulge buster. Every once in a while I would get a fat case and have to use 2 hands and put all my weight on it to get the case to go through. Not once did it ever act like it was going to tip over.

FYI. I have added a piece of 1/4 inch plate to the underside of the top to take some of the flex out.
    Last edited by AR15-SBR; 01-02-2018 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I think this is the type of press that meets your requirements for non-tipping.

Ponsness Warren

Metal Matic P-200
    $350.00
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1474866193

Metallic II
    $575.00
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1474865368

Top notch presses too.

Boolit Master

I have built may benches in the past. Its about mechanical advantage. Basically have a deep bench and put the press behind the level of the front legs as much as possible. The worst possible way to set up a press is to have a narrow base and wide top. That's just looking for trouble.
    At one with the gun.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

Name:	Co- ax presses with shelf 5-19-2014.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	212098

I have a reloading room with lots of mounted presses, but two modified co-ax presses get used the most.

But for reloading while hunting 900 miles from here....
    I had an SUV with two partner presses,

Name:	Two RCBS partner presses in vehicle 11-11-2015.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	212095
    but I gave the SUV to my daughter and bought a truck and camper.

Name:	reloading bench in camper 9-2-2017.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	212096

I mount the partner presses in the camper with the 1.5" dining table mount.

Name:	camper presses on counterbalanced typing table 20170903_165058.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	212097
    I drilled a 1.5" hole in a counterbalanced [6x14" beam and a pin gauge set] typing table and then the partner presses in the camper can come into the house and are on wheels to cosy up to my computer seat, where i watch youtube and reload easy repetitive stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee makes the nifty Lee Reloading Stand, can mount a press and affordable price.
    The Buchanan Press doesn't even need a bench mount , quality to boot.
    And if you're really strapped for cash and space the Lee hand press is affordable and doesn't need a bench mount. I load a lot with these while sitting at a desk or table.
    Some presses have a reversible linkage, I have mine set up to size on the pull up stroke...this eliminates the force being applied down to the bench front edge . I also find pulling up easier on my arm/shoulder.

I will have to say the Lee Hand Press I bought years ago is one of my favorite tools. In fact I bought a second just in case they stopped making them....I wanted a back up. One of Lee's very good idea's for the space impared or benchless reloader.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-18-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Boy what would we do if most kitchens didn't have a counter end to use. :-0
    Attachment 210259

I must have moved 35 times since 1980. Got so tired of making benches that I quit doing it in 1988. If the residence does not have a kitchen island or counter top end I find another place to live.
    I removed the cutting board and cut some plywood to fit the opening and jambed a 2x4 under the end and mounted my reloading equipment to it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    The Forster Co-Ax and RCBS Summit both have an in-line design and wont try to rip themselves from the bench in use.

The Forster is way more powerful than the RCBS and much easier to use. It's probably the last single stage press you'll ever buy.

Boolit Master
    Well, I see somebody has responded again to my question about developing a press that doesn't apply a turning-over moment to the edge of the press table it is attached to. I have been working on some drawings for my idea, designing and drawing are not one of my strong points anymore. I use one of the old Hornday 007 O-frame presses, and envisioned a similar layout of a press, except that the shaft that comes up through the press the shellholder is mounted on is actually the upper end of a hydraulic ram. So the problem is how would you actuate it, and my idea was to have another hydraulic ram mounted in a maybe 2" thick pad that you would sit on, and it would be horizontal sticking out between your legs with the lever mounted in front of you between your knees. And of course quick-disconnects in the hydraulic lines would allow you to take it all apart. And linkage bars would allow you to change the leverage/speed of actuation, and reversing the connections would allow you to reverse direction on the press ram.

Banned
    FINALLY...I got my portable bench finished. (except for a little welding and paint) I made it very tall so I can work standing up as well as sitting. The top of the bench is 39", the top of the handle is 48". Now when sitting I can see my work at eye level and standing to use it is very comfortable too. The bench was made from an old tubular steel kitchen chair and some scrap tubing. The weight of the bench without the press but with the 2 1/4" top board is 22lbs. This will not tip as the fulcrum is inside of the front legs. The left front corner has an attachable piece so it can be converted into a much larger flat top bench for a vise, drill press, and other benchtop power tools.

Attachment 215767
    Attachment 215768
    Attachment 215769
    Last edited by Traffer; 03-05-2018 at 03:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    When I started reloading, I had an old Pacific "Super C" press (I think that was the name of it) that could be converted to an "upstroke" rather than the more common "down stroke". I made a simple bench from a 3' x 3' PIECE OF 3/4 " plywood and a few 2x4's with a cross piece between the two front legs to rest one foot on ( like the brass rail in a saloon) to brace against when using the upstroke on the press handle. Worked very well for resizing .30-06 and 8x57 Mauser cases, in fact it worked so well that I've never bothered to change the stroke direction in over 55 years of usage. My point is: if you can change your press to an upstroke in lieu of the conventional down stroke, you eliminate the roll-over tendency of the bench. Hope this helps--- Stan

In a situation where you don't want attach the bench to the wall and/or floor. Use what ever bench suits you.
    If it does feel a bit tippy, go get a 2x4. cut in half. Attach to legs so the end stickout past the front of bench.
    If wood legs just screw the 2x4 to legs. If pipe or angle legs use u bolts to attach 2x4 to legs.
    If the 2x4's stkc out to much cut shorter. Just keep them at least as far out as the end of your press handle.
    Leo

Boolit Bub
    $28 at Harbor Freight with coupon

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    When I started reloading, I had an old Pacific "Super C" press (I think that was the name of it) that could be converted to an "upstroke" rather than the more common "down stroke". I made a simple bench from a 3' x 3' PIECE OF 3/4 " plywood and a few 2x4's with a cross piece between the two front legs to rest one foot on ( like the brass rail in a saloon) to brace against when using the upstroke on the press handle. Worked very well for resizing .30-06 and 8x57 Mauser cases, in fact it worked so well that I've never bothered to change the stroke direction in over 55 years of usage. My point is: if you can change your press to an upstroke in lieu of the conventional down stroke, you eliminate the roll-over tendency of the bench. Hope this helps--- Stan
    I'm still using a Pacific Super Deluxe C...and with the linkage reversed to size on the up stroke....that is one nice feature that I have enjoyed all these years.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast