MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Press that doesn't turn bench over?

Boolit Master

Press that doesn't turn bench over?

With a lot of discussions on this forum about downsizing and using small tables for mounting reloading presses, has anybody designed a press that doesn't provide an overturning moment to the bench? One where a small footprint on the floor would stay stable as the press is operated, and using only one hand to operate so the other hand can feed cases, primers, bullets and etc? It may have to be operated in some other manner besides the arm lever, like maybe a foot press in the center of the table? But how would you push back up to set primers?

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

A lot depends on the set up of the stand more so that the press it self. I made several fold up stands that folded up. these were set up with a seat as part of them so length helped and the press was well over the framework. Mounting a press on a small stand in front of all the legs invites tipping due to the leverage it gives the press. A coax or summit mounted over the front leg or just behind it takes this leverage away. A cut out so other presses can be mounted back behind the front legs will help also. On a small light bench and the press mounted on the front edge is asking for rock and tip. Angling the front legs out so that the feet are in front of the press a few inches also works. Look at the grinder stands and other manufactured reloading stands and the press is behind the front feet. Desighn is the key to a solid bench large small or portable.

I've been forced to use smaller benches over the years for reloading or just general shop work. If possible screw the bench to the wall, that'll make it pretty solid. The last few I've made had enough weight that the only issue is moving them.

Boolit Master
    Something like this with enough 2ft square patio blocks added to the shelf to stabilize it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	210152

Really though, nothing beats attaching the back of the top to a wall for primer seating.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-18-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Boolit Master

the inline fabrication mounts will put any press in the center of the table and give you good stability.

Boolit Grand Master

I was about to say the same. Using a riser to move the handle behind the front legs is your best bet.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

hydraulic

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    When I was a young man and moving away from my parents home(for the last time--yes there were previous attempts) I had moved into a small 1 bedroom apt. and my "reloading room" was the walk-in pantry. I went to the local steel yard and had them cut me a piece of 1/2" plate, 12x15 inches. I files the edges and welded a 2in pipe coupling in the center on one side. I got a piece of 2" pipe from the junk pile at my Dad's electrical shop and welded another coupling to the center hole of and old 15" tire rim. I built it so I could sit in a chair and load pistol rounds and my then only rifle, a 30-06. Mounted my Lyman Spartan press on one side, a powder measure stand to my left, my Lyman450 lubber to the right and later my Rock Chucker across from the Spartan. Plenty of room(if I keep it clean). Over the years that stand has been moved about a dozen times and I have built at least 3 regular reloading benches. I always end up back at my homebuilt stand, even after 40+ years. When loading big rifle cases I just add move lead ingots for counter weight. It sits on a piece of carpet and can be rotated on the tire floor of my man cave easily. (the last two reloading benches I built serve a work benches now.) Is it the best solution? I don't know but has served me well since 1975.

Boolit Buddy
    In-Line Fabrications . Great design and heavy duty build. Great support beyond the sale. I have two bases and all my regular tools are mounted on his plates.

Boolit Master

one more vote for the Coax when i first got mine i put it on my bench with just one "C" clamp and sized some 30/06 brass
    just to see how it worked
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I've my Lee ss on a small three leg workbench. Was similar to the old black and decker workbench, but made a bit different. Works fine, doesn't tilt at all.there are options

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Buchanan Precision Machine Lock-N-Load Hand Reloading Press

Not only not going to knock over the bench - you don't even really need much of a table
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I have my reloading stuff on a small, cheap, 'walmart' desk (about 18" by 30")-- the kind you buy in a box and put together. I screwed a small angle bracket to the top back of the desk and into the wall-- and it holds great even when I put a lot of pressure on the press. some sort of brakwet to a wall is the key to handling the overturning force.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Another vote for the Forster Co-Ax... but WOW those things have gotten expensive!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Tag ... I'm in the process of building a small platform too. Just want to follow the discussion.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

I run over 90% of my press work with a Lee Hand press, no table tip overs.

I also saw a Lee press mounted on a nice 3 cornered stand that seemed like a pretty sweet setup.
    Looked like one of those that mounted 4 or 5 dies on different stations that rotated.

Which is not what I am into so I did not buy it. But the stand was nice.

I run over 90% of my press work with a Lee Hand press, no table tip overs.

I also saw a Lee turret press mounted on a nice 3 cornered stand that seemed like a pretty sweet setup. Which is not what I am into so I did not buy it.

But the stand was nice. It appears to sell for a bit over 100$ at Amazon and Midway.

Boolit Master
    I built a triangle shaped bench about two feet deep and pushed it into a corner. 4x4s for legs, 2x4s connect the legs around the triangle, 2x4s for the bench top. Saves a lot of space in an apartment.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS Summit press configuration is such that you can direct the handle forces down through the front legs.
    EDG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast