Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: ??? about lee dies

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.

??? about lee dies

I have a set of 32 h&r dies for my .327 Fed Mag. The carbide sizer is fine, the powder thru neck expander is a different story. It goes up into the die and engages the expand plug just fine. When I lift up on the handle to remove the case the amount of force is quite a bit. This is the only Lee powder thru expander I have so I have no history to fall back on. My RCBS expander die for my 44 is very smooth to remove the case with no effort to speak of. Is this normal ? Thanks, Jerry

Boolit Master
    Polish it, that's what I do

Banned
    ▲▲▲▲ And don't seat it too deep ▲▲▲▲

I've always wondered if Lee did that on purpose, to kind of "shake" the die to prevent powder build up when using the powder through expander powder thrower.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    The instructions uses a phrase of abrupt stop at extraction to shake the powder into the case. I guess what I am feeling is the "abrupt stop".

Boolit Man
    My understanding is that it is on purpose to shake powder loose. From the instructions: "In use, the expander plug travels approximately
    3/8” within the die and comes to an abrupt stop at extraction. This helps to shake the powder through."

Boolit Master
    I polish mine and coat them with graphite from an aerosol can. They still shake the powder dispenser enough for a good powder drop but release much smoother and easier. I polish with a little Flitz on a small buffer wheel with my Dremel tool, takes just a couple of minutes.