RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Press that doesn't turn bench over?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15-SBR View Post
    $28 at Harbor Freight with coupon

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nice...
    yep, and you can even add a riser for cheap:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	216266
    Sorry for the drill press pic
    Putting a couple of $2 patio blocks on the stand shelf will add to it's stability too.

Put stand/press against wall, add a box of lead around 30 pounds to back side of stand. If there is no backside where a box can be set use the supports to mount a shelf below press, put as much ingots in a bucket or box and that stand is going no where. At the very least the legs can be attached to a plywood on the floor, again add lead weight to hold the stand in place. It is really simple.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Kenstone - Is that their Bench Grinder stand, Item #3184, or some other stand? Very limited space here and what I've been trying has been problematic so far...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Kenstone - Is that their Bench Grinder stand, Item #3184, or some other stand? Very limited space here and what I've been trying has been problematic so far...
    Yes it is, you won't be disappointed if you buy one, a solid stand.
    It's a little high for sit down loading unless you sit on a stool, and a little low for stand-up loading without a riser (something like in my pic).

https://www.harborfreight.com/univer...tand-3184.html
    My review (by Kenstone) of this HF stand @HF has some hints about assembly, check it out.

Check out the Lee 3 legged stand for the way they hang a concrete block on it...and copy it it's what I would do.
    https://leeprecision.com/lee-reloading-stand.html
    Note the price of the Lee stand

edit: once my wife saw the stand assembled, she wanted one for in the house
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-12-2018 at 09:32 PM.

I'm pretty tall & long in the torso, should do me nicely Yes, I noticed the Lee Stand's cost, in a word, EEK! And "uh-oh" - you've created a monster maybe, tho might be smarter to call her SWMBO :P

Boolit Bub
    I am average height and sit on a 7gal bucket with a padded top and it works really well for me. I can really "lean on" the handle with both hands and no fears of it tipping.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    When I started reloading, I had an old Pacific "Super C" press (I think that was the name of it) that could be converted to an "upstroke" rather than the more common "down stroke". I made a simple bench from a 3' x 3' PIECE OF 3/4 " plywood and a few 2x4's with a cross piece between the two front legs to rest one foot on ( like the brass rail in a saloon) to brace against when using the upstroke on the press handle. Worked very well for resizing .30-06 and 8x57 Mauser cases, in fact it worked so well that I've never bothered to change the stroke direction in over 55 years of usage. My point is: if you can change your press to an upstroke in lieu of the conventional down stroke, you eliminate the roll-over tendency of the bench. Hope this helps--- Stan
    Been giving this project more thought and just read this one again. I have a Harbor freight tool stand, cost $5 and has that cross piece. I also have an old Pacific C press I got for $15 that sizes on the up stroke. I think this is coming together.

Got the grinder stand; You do have to put it together with the lower tray "Hollow up", directions don't state that but the way the metal's folded does indicate that. Also, 100# weight limit? Sheesh.

Boolit Master

Stand Assembly

"Hollow up" is how I assemble mine, based on the pics on the box and at HF.

Probably too late to be any help for you...
    I set the top plate upside down on my bench to build it, worked well.
    And when I got to the shelf I put pins thru all the holes to hold it in place, then replaced one pin at a time with bolts.

Name:	StandS.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	216742

I got to this thread late but Artful already showed the video of my Hand Press which takes of a lot less space than anything I have seen on this thread so far.

I started out in 1976 with my Rock Chucker mounted to a 2x4' piece of 3/4" plywood mounted to my B&D Workmate. I still have it.

However if I was downsizing I'd be using my BPM Hand Press clamped on the kitchen table like I have been doing for the past year or so. In fact I just sized and primed 200 .30 Carbine cases over the last two nights while watching TV. Will probably finish loading them tonight. Yes I did and it took me about 1.5 hours to charge and seat bullets and crimp 200 of them. Not bad for a 11" high tool that weighs 2lbs.

The tool is that easy to use and any of you who haven't got one, need to get one soon as I won't be making them forever. I am almost thru assembling parts up to #150 and I will probably only run another 50 and be done with it. I did not get one inquiry or sale off an Article in Gun World Magazine! So what's up with that?

These tools will outlast anyone here and probably their kids as well, and considering that you can have all your Reloading Kit in a Small Tool Bag makes it all that much better. You don't need a dedicated bench that takes up space that you probably don't have. That bench also will be stored for the majority of time as you aren't going to be reloading ammo all the time.

But the one thing you will get, is the Finest Portable Reloading Tool ever made by anyone.

And that's worth having.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-21-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Vendor Sponsor

^^^hes not exaggerating.. Its a great press .. you can c clamp to a bench if wanted
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Name:	thumb_IMG_7203_1024-400x267.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	217030I was just reading an article on learning to handload.
    In the article they showed a pic of a light sturdy stand. I snagged a pic.
    Basically a saw horse with a wide top board.
    It can be easily made and adjusted to match the room you have. Very clever.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Tell that to the original poster. It is his requirement.
    What suggestion do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    That’s true, and wouldn’t wish one on my worst enemy. Terrible design. Unless you want portable, and don’t mind that it weighs a ton.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    You might get that to work by mounting the press on the end.
    Mounted on the side will not work for sizing rifle brass. It will turn over the saw horse.
    Note where the handle ball will be when all the way down. It will be outside of the leg span meaning the press will turn over the saw horse.

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post

Name:	thumb_IMG_7203_1024-400x267.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	217030I was just reading an article on learning to handload.
    In the article they showed a pic of a light sturdy stand. I snagged a pic.
    Basically a saw horse with a wide top board.
    It can be easily made and adjusted to match the room you have. Very clever.
    Leo
    EDG

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234