WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Young Loaders and Lack of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Way it is his son learned it from somewhere and being dissed like that cuts all threads to me. I have standards they seem not to. Period. Have a nice Christmas eve by the way.
    I've found it ain't nearly that easy. Wish my children would all respond as I'd like. Oddly enough, the act as if they have minds of their own . . . .

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Boolit Master

that kind of behavior is a product of the "me" generation, thankfully they arent all like that. sadly when it comes to reloading, it is not the place for the instant gratification, and will probably result in the "me" injuring himself or someone else.
    as for the certified, no such thing, heck i worked in the factory of one of the big 3 ammo makers, and im not a certified reloader LOL . anyone i see into the instant gratification, i steer them towards the store so they can buy factory ammo, because reloading is not for them whether or not they realize it.

Boolit Master

My son in law wanted to get started reloading so I gave him Lyman single stage with dies, powder, primers and some bullets along with a manual and another book or two, two years later I got everything back unused. Now he complains how he can't afford to go shooting!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I taught myself because I didn't know any reloaders but I had learned enough about guns and ammunition to know there was a lot more to it than just stuff 'em and shoot 'em. I read a handful of books and plenty of magazine articles before I bought any equipment.
    This. I was taught to reload by Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Dean Grennell, and folks like them. I didn't know anyone who reloaded at the time, so it was up to me if I was going to learn. I started out with a whack-a-molie Lee Loader, and quickly transitioned to an RCBS Jr. I made my share of mistakes, but I still have all my fingers and eyes (some 45 years later), and I've never blown up a gun.

I agree with others that I am troubled by beginners asking questions like 'How accurate is gun X in caliber Y?' Or, 'What's the most accurate load for gun X in caliber y?' Or, 'What powder do I need for bullet X in caliber Y?' It shows that they have done absolutely zero research, and probably haven't even purchased a reloading manual, let alone read it.

I forsee a lot of barely used equipment for sale, and a bunch of damaged guns laying around.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Many years ago my cousin got me started reloading when we had shot up all his 30-30 ammo one day of shooting. He had a single stage press and we loaded I don't remember how many hundred of rounds with that press before I saved up enough to buy my own. His family had gotten into reloading because being farmers money was scare but one could buy the makings and save a lot of money. He is long gone now and I miss him dearly as we sort of grew up together. He was always there for me, when I came home while in the military, with my first house and wife and later when she died, then I lost him. I have never forgot his teachings and how he always stressed safety even when we hot loaded some rounds and found it wasn't worth the effort.
    Yes some of the young folks of today want the newest and easiest way to do something but progressive reloading isn't the place to start or even in my book ever go to. I have seen too many primers in backwards, no powder in cartridge, to much powder, crushed cases to ever believe that is a good way to reload. So glad I grew up when things were slower and folks took the time to learn how to do most anything and pay their dues to get ahead. Now it is just memories of an old man who wonders why he is still here.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

I am really surprised by how unwilling some are about sharing their knowledge and experience. Makes me wonder if the issue is the teacher or the student?

Merry Christmas to all the non bah humbug types.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-24-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Im 34. I started reloading about 6 or 7 years ago. Im still learning all the finer details. I dont have a mentor. I've read a lot of manuals, and a lot here. I dont watch youtube videos about it, or anything else in general. I learn better through text. I know a few folks at the gun stores that reload, but they dont seem to have the time to help someone.

I have shown 2 people the process. I didnt teach them, but I showed them each step and explained briefly how and why each operation works. 1 of them, loaded a round and fired it in the coarse of about 10 or 15 minutes and says they want to get started with it. Last I heard they had downloaded a manual and was looking for a good used turret press.

I know a person that is about 50, whom is a gun fancier, that has an interesting opinion on reloading. I mentioned to him that I reloaded, and he said.. .for pistol thats fine, but for rifle its not. Something to the effect of, rifle rounds work at a higher pressure and you'll blow yourself up.

I've found that most folks, if you mention reloading to them, they are of about 2 opinions.

They think you're an idiot and going to blow yourself up.
    They see dollar signs and want you to make ammo for them cheap.

I dont even mention casting... I've heard it all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm about the only guy I know who drives a vehicle I have to shift gears, manuallt roll down windows and turn a metal key to open door locks on anymore.
    my long lost brother!!!!!!! hallelujah!!!

i gave away my progressives and turrets, i've gotten a lee classic and i'm very happy. i do around 1000 or so bullets every month. i can do them one at a time. i have taught 6 or 7 guys through the years. i have never taught a guy that was a bad as the op says.

Boolit Master
    The young folks want it all easy and quick. Like engineering problems, the cause of this 'give it to me now' attitude is not caused by just one thing. This is a combination of, being raised by babysitters and preschools and not being told of the old ways (often, but not always the best ways) of doing things. They're not hearing the stories of their ancestor's lives and experiences. And, technology has made so many things faster and easier, that the youngsters expect everything to be fast and easy.
    This will ultimately have a very detrimental effect on our society.

I'm afraid that if a friend wanted help learning to reload, my first instruction would have to be for him to read through the the front text portion of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. That would have to be followed by another reloading book.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I taught my nephews but now they are married with kids that are under 10 years old they don't have time for it. Both have the equipment but said they won't get back into reloading until the kids are old enough to not need a lot of attention.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am really surprised by how unwilling some are about sharing their knowledge and experience. Makes me wonder if the issue is the teacher or the student?

Merry Christmas to all the non bah humbug types.
    Both need to have the right attitude or it won't work. My employer made a lot of money rebuilding an auger every year because the engineers at a wastewater plant wouldn't listen to their own maintenance people.
    I'll share what I know about reloading with anyone who's interested. Any teacher will tell you a willing student is the best kind, even if they're not the smartest. But there are some people I give up on because they don't really want to learn, they either just want the simplest possible answer or they can't believe what I tell them. Some of them, when they see the light, you can tell. Then you can really start to share some knowledge. Or as I like to say, no one learns anything until they're ready to.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Our class was told my a machine trades instructor ( trades school) The knowledge is here free for the taking, You just need to bring the container. He was a good instructor and taught a lot. not always just the basics. A good instructor mentor teacher is a big help. I have helped knew reloaders get started, new casters, and at work a few apprentices. Its always interesting to work with someone new. I actually enjoy it when the person really wants to learn. I have also had the other way and its a deflating process working with someone who dosnt want to really learn. Ive helped give reloading seminars at a local gun store ( there was a fee charged for it) and there were a few that bought in to heckle and play games amazed me.
    One of the things my children learned was to never turn down training or classes at work, Knowledge is the one thing that can never be taken back or away from you. Knowledge is also one of the few things that can be shared with out losing it yourself. Once learned it always there.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hmmmm. I've been known to ask people 'What powder do you use for bullet X in caliber Y?' but just to see if they know anything I don't. It pays off Been loading since 1965 or so, learned some neat tricks from others and figured others out myself, good to have more knowledge Things like using BLC(2) for short barreled 308 rifles (the loads I worked up, you could fire at midnight in a coal mine, no bottle flash strobing, just a few sparks of carbon - Friend wanted a non position giving away round for his 308, that did the job.) And reduced loads so you can gather Grouse etc. without scaring the big game out of the county you're in + the next 3 counties.

I've used progressive presses, they are pretty reliable, just have to do it RIGHT - Don't run them out of powder, or primers, or abuse them in any other way. I mainly use them for "run of the mill" ammo - Plinking ammo basically. I sure wouldn't understand LEARNING on one though; But when I was shooting 500-1000 rounds a weekend for the SD pistol helping instruct at a class, I learned that I NEEDED to load faster to not run out!

"you're so busy learning the tricks of the trade,you never learned the trade" is an old adage.Bares repeating.

Personally,I think it's a self actualization "rhythm" of sorts?Each individual has a certain rate at which they process new information.Young folks growing up with internet access lose the joy of the ride....focused on the destination.Crafts in general usually are best learned with foundational,building blocks.Then moving FWD.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    My Hornady Lock N Load came with a manual, a video, and there are YouTube videos out here that will show you how to set it up.... Of course that's all useless if you don't understand he fundementals of reloading.

I'm only a couple years older than the son in the OP and probably started relaoding at about that same age. I don't regret starting on a single stage press, but at this point in time I'd find it difficult to live without a progressive. Once you've got the press setup it's no harder to get the dies adjusted. With a progressive you only touch each piece of brass once and the chance of screwing something up diminishes substantially.

Hopefully the kid in question realizes the generosity of your offer and comes back to learn the basics. Either that or maybe he'll just give up and never get around to starting.

Progressive presses have been responsible for most blown up pistols.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Progressive presses have been responsible for most blown up pistols.
    thats like blaming cars for drunk driving or spoons for making rosie odonnel fat.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm guessing that it shouldn't be too surprising about his attitude. There are some good kids - and I'm talking 30s and under as "kids" that were brought up right and are willing to learn from he ground up - which is how anyone should learn. He sounds like most of 'em their age - they want "instant gratification" and don't want to do the work to appreciate what it is all about. Certified? That reeks of that age group where the government has been so restrictive on regulations and everyone has to jump through hoops and pay high dollars for "certification" when a good solid instruction program would suffice but I won't go there.

Many of these kids can't even do the research - nor do they know how and they take everything on the "net" as gospel truth. When my wife finally retired from teaching, the kids would cut and paste information from the internet into a paper and think it was alright regardless of it not being "their work" and the material being copyrighted, etc. Of course they got the grade they deserved for all of their "hard work" - and then their parents would complain as even they didn't see anything wrong with it. Math? If these kids don't have a calculator they don't know how to get the answer. Cursive writing? Why do they need that? It's a sad state of affairs.

Hey - you tried but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Somewhere along the line that young man will learn that there isn't a "easy way" in anything in life and just because he can afford a progressive (probably charged on a credit card because he can't really afford it) doesn't mean he should be using one. Sort of reminds me of all these young ones who rush to get married and then have kids and end up in divorce - they don't know that a good marriage is work like anything else as well as all the things that go with newly married couples - living within their budget and putting their spouse before themselves.

I was brought up on a farm like many of you folks. When I was a kid, I wanted a horse or a pony in the worst way. My Dad loved horses and we usually had one or two - but when I expressed my interest in having one to ride, my Dad said I had a few things to learn about them before I could ride one. He introduced me to a six tine fork and showed me how to muck out the stalls - and for good measure and to gain experience, he let me do the same for the cows. I was introduced to the proper way to feed them as well - hauling hay, grain and making sure the water tanks were always full and clean for them so they always had water. Didn't matter if it was warm weather or freezing cold, it was my job to do those tasks. Along the way, he would teach me things when he thought I was ready - taking care of the tack, oiling harnesses, etc. Finally, I was allowed to ride - and on one of my very first rides I got bucked off into a manure pile and ended up with a mouth full. But I got back on. At the time, I thought my Dad was a little hard on me at times but he taught me the value of working hard and doing a job right - and I didn't start at the bottom. Funny thing, many years have passed, I don't have livestock anymore and I'm too old and afraid of breaking bones if thrown from a horse - but I really miss the smells of a stall and the steam from the soiled straw on a freezing cold day - the smell of a horse and the feel of their coats after a good brushing - combing their manes and tails out and walking them and talking to them when cooling them down - but most of all, I miss my Dad. He taught me that you start at the bottom and work up and to never think "you know it all".

You tried . . . you should feel good about that . . . the kid is the loser and unfortunately, I doubt he even knows it.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Certified?
    Very possible. The NRA offers certified instructors courses in reloading.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    250,000 plus loaded on Dillon 450's, 550's, 650's, rl 1000 and a couple of 1050's with zero issues. If I had to load that volume on a single station I would have taken up golf.
    Somewhat the same here. I have a couple Dillon 550's for reloading handgun ammo and some rifle ammo. One is set up for lg primers and the other small primers.

For my hunting rifles, I use my old RCBS Rockchucker. When loading for hunting rifles, I'm building precision ammo that fits the rifle. I could probably do that on a progressive but I'd rather load those rds one at a time.

Getting back to topic. I've been loading for over 40 yrs now. I had little instruction from a couple buddies when I started out. Most of my education and knowledge came from studying reloading manuals and good articles.
    I've acquired a lot of reloading equipment and tools through the years.

My problem with new potential reloaders is I don't ever see any of them. I trained one guy back about 6 years ago to load 9mm handgun ammo. I had a guy that works with me buy a press, manuals, dies and components but I still don't think he has ever took the stuff out of the boxes. I think he only wanted the reloading setup in the case the **** hit the fan.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast