RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ar 15 uppers brands

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    i can guarantee not all the manufacturers hold good tolerances. as an example, i have built a large number of ar's on anderson lowers, they are mostly good, but i have myself run into 2 that the buffer retainer pin holes were not in the correct place, and sadly you can find more than a few instances of this if you look around. as for mil-spec, nothing being sold is mil-spec, much is advertised as meeting mil-spec but thats it, and mil-spec is just the gvmnt's lowest acceptable standard, nothing to be impressed by.
    Please do publish the mil spec standards or the lowest acceptable standard as you put it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Please do publish the mil spec standards or the lowest acceptable standard as you put it.
    Posting the total mil specs standards for all the parts is an AR would require many volumes of encyclopedia sized books. Some basics here

http://fulton-armory.com/faqs/AR-FAQs/Mil_Spec.htm

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ec-definition/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-keep-it-real/

https://sofrep.com/82257/ar-15-isnt-mil-spec-thats-ok/

http://optimusdefense.com/image/data...inspection.pdf

https://www.itstactical.com/forum/in...ams-and-specs/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-09-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Master

what does it matter, you are not buying mil-spec commercially!

According to Colt, FN, and HK you are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forget it. I thought we we talking about the parts used to make up the gun. The FN15 I bought when I started messing with ARs had numbers and marks on the bcg and other places denoting milspec parts. Since they made M4/M16A2 for our military under contract they knew what they were stating. Sorry for the thread drift.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 01-10-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Edited for content

Boolit Grand Master

Let's refocus the discussion please.

I have a 50 Beowulf from Alexander arms, they invented the Beowulf cartridge. I purchased there 16” overwatch model. I have a very simple fixed power scope zeroed @ 100yds. It shoots 3 shot groups with all holes touching. That’s with their factory ammo. I am very pleased with the upper as a whole.

Banned

my beo doesn't shoot quite that well. But that said all ive shot out of it are rieneer bullets and cast. with the reineer TN bullet it shoots an inch at a 100 for 5 shots and with there hp version it opens up to about 1 1/4. Still pretty darned good for a big bore. It outshoots any 4570 ive ever owned. How do you get away with owning that in CA? Did you mount it to a fixed mag lower? If so does it run well like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I have a 50 Beowulf from Alexander arms, they invented the Beowulf cartridge. I purchased there 16” overwatch model. I have a very simple fixed power scope zeroed @ 100yds. It shoots 3 shot groups with all holes touching. That’s with their factory ammo. I am very pleased with the upper as a whole.

The 50 Beowulf is legal in California. The 50 bmg is not. It’s on a standard lower.

Banned

I thought you couldn't have a standard lower in CA and had to have a top fed magazine on an AR15 along with one of those goofy thumbhole stocks????

Boolit Master

Most of this is pure horse hockey. You buy MILL SPEC parts and the tollerances ARE the same. You MIGHT be able to get slightly better finish but the fit will be the same.
    In theory you are correct in reality you are not. Try swapping uppers and lowers around and you will find some are tight and some well not so much. Does it matter? I don’t know. Point being with the large number that make AR stuff lately some will not do as good of a job at it.

Most of this is pure horse hockey. You buy MILL SPEC parts and the tollerances ARE the same. You MIGHT be able to get slightly better finish but the fit will be the same.
    Well said. Mil spec is mil spec!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12