RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sporterized Arisaka

Boolit Buddy
    I had another look at the Arisaka this evening.

It has what seems to be a nice hot tank bluing. The finish on the receiver is still nice and deep as is the the under side of the barrel out of the stock. The top of the barrel is covered with surface rust. It does not have open sites although there are two thin notches across the barrel just back from the muzzle. The barrel is about 22". The crown doesn't look bad and the rifling is clearly visible at the crown. The bore is dirty but the rifling looks decent. It has a side mounted safety that looks like sheet metal. It extends up from inside of the stock and folds over to the outside of the gun. It is hard to maneuver but does seem to work. The stock is nicely checkered at the forend and grip with tight diamond's. The grip has a black cap and there is a rubber recoil pad with "White Line" on the bottom. The pad is rock hard. The Chrysanthemum is still there. The caliber is 6.5 Jap. according to the shop owner. The rifle is on consignment. There is no information about the history. They are willing to contact the owner with an offer as the rifle has been at the shop for at least a month.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have a background with sporterizing military rifles but have no experience with the Arisaka's.

Is this worth tinkering with?

Thanks

Issac

Boolit Buddy
    Clark: Looking closely at your photos this rifle looks very close to the one that has the cartridge holder on the stock. The checkering is very similar and from what I can see the safety behind the bolt looks just like what is on the rifle I'm looking at. The bolt handles looks close as well.

Isaac

IF its in 6.5 its probably a type 38 or maybe a 30. I like the actions. It sounds like this was very nice once upon a time and could be again for little effort. I've built a 308 and a 38-55 on type 38s and have one action left in the pile for a future project. You can get the brass, or re chamber it to 6.5x55 or rebarrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    It sure would be worth rehab-ing, Kind of a subjective question: tinker'ers think almost anything is worth tinkering with, but your description sounds like there's a nice rifle in there just waiting to come out.

Boolit Master

As Geezer in NM said, if it were me I would make the 100 dollar offer and see where it went from there.
    They may be offended or may may a counter offer.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.
    Check to be sure that it is not 6.5X257 before getting brass if you buy it
    Hard to say though since it is not in front of me.

Don't need another Arisaka, but I might be tempted if it were in front of me, I kinda like em.
    I guess it is an acquired taste.

Ya know what they say about taste
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-07-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I purchased the Arisaka today. Paid $130 out the door.

The shop owner and I had an enjoyable conversation about his experiences with sporterized mil-surps from the past. Seems he has completed a few along the way dating back to the mid-60's. He asked me to keep in touch with the progress.

Once I figure out how to, I'll post some photos.

Thanks very much to everyone for the insight, suggestions and photos. The pic's will certainly come in handy during the re-furb process.

Isaac

Nice! I'd like to see pictures of the action.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Here are some of my Arisaka 2016 project pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recoil lug for 308 Arisaka 8-19-2016.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	211757
    I made a pillar for the rear and a recoil lug for the front.

Name:	Type 99 Arisaka rebarrel drill and tap pillar bed drawing d 8-2017.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	211756
    I made a scope base change radius.

Name:	Arisaka 257 3-3-2017.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	211755
    I drilled a hole in a scope base for the gas bypass in case of primer failure.

Name:	257 Roberts Arisaka 200 yards 10-29-2017.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	211759
    It shot a 1" 3 shot group at 200 yards...

Name:	Arisaka 1941 257 Roberts 11-21-2017.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	211758
    with a rimfire scope [small eye piece diameter clears the old weld on the bolt handle]

I converted to 257 Roberts by cutting down a Win M70 25-06 barrel, cutting 1.5mm pitch threads, making an extractor relief cut, and re chambering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arisaka threads cut on M70 barrel with high speed steel insert 1-18-2017.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Clark: That is some darn neat idea's.

I'm not sure how much accurizing I will do. That depends upon how it shoots. I would like to refer to a few of your idea's should that become an option.

I am not able to post photos. For some reason the computer will not let me download from the Iphone or digital camera. I had been able to do it in the past, but not now. The Geek squad can't figure it out either. I am not ready to commit to downloading on a "cloud". The PC is about 8-9 years old. Mrs Isaac has suggested we upgrade.

Isaac

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Clark: That is some darn neat idea's.

I'm not sure how much accurizing I will do. That depends upon how it shoots. I would like to refer to a few of your idea's should that become an option.

I am not able to post photos. For some reason the computer will not let me download from the Iphone or digital camera. I had been able to do it in the past, but not now. The Geek squad can't figure it out either. I am not ready to commit to downloading on a "cloud". The PC is about 8-9 years old. Mrs Isaac has suggested we upgrade.

Isaac
    It’s real easy with the Tapatalk app on a smartphone...if ya got one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the suggestion sukivel. I'll check it out.

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I would do it for $150. I bought an ugly duckling 6.5 Jap sporter for $65, but no sights since they were cut off. Spent $80 for sights put on and it shoots great. It stays in the truck...

Maybe if the bolt handle has been altered? Most Arisakas had side mounted scopes.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 01-23-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

I'm going to have to go down the road and get my old 38 Arisaka back from the neighbor if all this talk keeps up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm going to have to go down the road and get my old 38 Arisaka back from the neighbor if all this talk keeps up.
    I dare you to...and while you’re at it...test out a few cast different boolits in it and post the results here...

It may be the only 8x57mm Arisaka 38 out there. I had it rebarreled with a Shaw barrel I used for years on a Mauser. The mag well isn't long enough for milsurp ammo but it's all gone anyway. It sure liked the old 125 Hornady sp though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TX by God ~ an 8x57 Type 38, interesting and why not. And here I thought my 38-55 "The Cowboy Jap" was odd.

Boolit Master
    Under Japanese occupation the Chinese manufactured a type 30 actioned carbine in 7.92X57 for use by Chinese troops that served the Japanese, sort of like the Quislings.
    Those rifles are considered to be much stronger than the original Type 30.
    Also the Chinese converted many M1917 rifles to 7.92 after the USA stopped supplying them with .30-06.
    I've seen type 99 Chinese Arisakas in 7.92 as well. I supposed that like some other countries the surplus of capture Jap rifles made conversion to their standard cartridge economical.
    Thailand had some in .30-06.

Mexico bought some Arisakas from the Japanese in 7X57.

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    TX by God ~ an 8x57 Type 38, interesting and why not. And here I thought my 38-55 "The Cowboy Jap" was odd.
    You know how it is. You've got a barrel in one hand and an action in the other......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Since posting pics here is several steps above what I can do, IF someone will post them here for discussion, I will email them a pic of some 3 shot 50 yd groups with boolits out of a full military (minus upper handguard) Type 99. I have got to work on the trigger thought it is the worst trigger I have ever pulled, doubt a trigger guage goes that high.
    I have no idea of what a 100 yard group would look like because my range here at the house is 50 yds.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-22-2018 at 12:39 AM. Reason: correttion/additional info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

If you're into guns, especially older ones, posting pictures isn't much more complicated, do a search for a tutorial? Lately, it's been a challenge for me also.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast