WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Container for Revolver Lube?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Container for Revolver Lube?

For the revolver, going to use Crisco at first for preventing Chain Firing.

What do you folks use for a container to carry it? I doubt I want the whole huge cardboard can from the store :P

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I use small Tupperware containers. You can get them in tiny sizes for condiments or really any size you want.
    I use olive oil and beeswax. You can add a little bit of crayon to get seasonal colors!
    You can vary the blend to be anything from stiff as candle wax to as thin as honey. I like mine to be around the consistency of chapstick, but to each his own.

You will probably find that as your gun gets warm, the Crisco will get pretty messy, as it will start to melt and run as soon as you put it in a warm cylinder. This might make it easier to apply, but I don't like cooking oil dripping out of the bottom of my holster. I do know some people who actually just use a syringe with cooking oil to make a tiny moist ring around each ball.

However you end up doing it..... Good luck and happy shooting!!

Last edited by Beagle333; 12-24-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

If you take your old cap tins and roast em in a fire to remove the paint and age them then rub em while they are still hot with bee wax to "season" them, you have great small tins for such.

Boolit Master
    Plastic tubes which have held toothpaste, cosmetics, glue etc. You can cut them off at the rear and heat-seal them after filling. Or if they have contained something that doesn't have to be completely cleaned out, fill them with a huge great veterinary syringe that would make your eyes water, from eBay. You will find enough uses for that to make it worth buying.

Boolit Master
    ^^^^this is what I did too.

I had thought maybe cold cream containers as, yeppers, I'd expected the Crisco to be a MESS (disaster) once warm. My previous source for tubes is dried up but that would do it, 60CC syringe or something (used to use those to fill fiberglass resin castings' air bubbles, works well). Tupperware's a good thought, so long as it seals WELL. Hmmm maybe add extra Stearic Acid to wax so it melts at a higher temperature? Cap tins seem a little too small, maybe?

Boolit Bub
    Any of the mentioned small containers will work well. I use wheel bearing grease which withstands heat very well yet will wash away when I clean my Navy Arms 1858 Army revolver. A tub of WB grease lasts years, maybe I don't shoot enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I use small Tupperware containers. You can get them in tiny sizes for condiments or really any size you want.
    I use olive oil and beeswax. You can add a little bit of crayon to get seasonal colors!

You will probably find that as your gun gets warm, the Crisco will get pretty messy, as it will start to melt and run as soon as you put it in a warm cylinder.

I think you can get plastic syringes at the drug store ( I have some from the garage I work at, they came with grease for a door latch recall years ago ). they work good to hold some Crisco type grease and you just squeeze out what you need without getting your fingers in such a mess.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Actually, the fact that the Crisco lard melts a bit is a real asset for a C&B revolver, as it keeps the fouling loosey-goosey for at least a full day's firing (as I did many times with my stainless ROA).

Since I'm never going to be reloading on horseback while fleeing from Apache's, I use a small/shallow plastic take-out portion bowl/lid to carry it, and a wooden popsicle stick (I buy them by the bunch from WallyWorld) to apply it to the chamber mouths,

BTW - the front of the chambers is NOT the only source of chain-firing - ensure that the percussion caps are a good/tight fit on the nipples, too.

Last edited by pietro; 12-25-2017 at 08:43 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if they still make them but Crisco used to come in a smaller can about the size of a small peanut can. That's what I used to use.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I have switched years ago to waxed wads as cleaner less fouling and works as good. Easy to carry in the field and use at the range, you will never look back. The other benefit is more rounds between cleaning as the lube and fouling doesn't migrate as bad.

Waxed wads for me as well, but if you want to apply lube manually, try a cake decorating "syringe" (for applying decorative icing, florets, etc.): You'll want one with a metal body and tips. Otherwise, a Tupperware, etc. container and a popsicle stick work quite well.
    Last edited by Maven; 12-25-2017 at 11:04 AM.

I have a tube of Moly DiSulphide wheel bearing grease and one of Lithium soap based grease, could mix some of those in with Crisco, have to do more research, this seems to be a trend in ALL my reloading / casting / shooting activities Looking around on the Web, seeing some interesting ideas 85% Crisco and 15% beeswax (by volume) to 50%/50% etc., hmmmm.

I know I have a small syringe (from pet medications) but a 60cc syringe would be a LOT of shooting's worth of grease, how do you carry it so it doesn't dispense grease all over tho? Probably empty it back into the tub till at the range & suck some up then re-empty it once done would do it?

Pietro, thanks! Going to be converting it all to #11 caps (so I just have one size to get) and hopefully that won't be an issue but good to be aware.

Have waxed wads already, just will need to get more later. Might try COW or Corn Meal later but it's hard to do it wrong with a pre-made part; Fired a similar BP revolver (THINK it was the Navy one) and enjoyed Hmmm someone has a DIY waxed wads YouTube video up, I could move to making my own wads as another step along doing it all myself Or look at 'lube pills' or 'grease cookies' as an option. Hmmm Duro-Felt Products looks interesting... Hard felt, lanolin, and tallow.

Saw an interesting idea too, someone took the top off a bottle necked case to make a mini funnel & uses that to pour powder into cylinders, to avoid sticking it to any lube left from atop the ball I guess. Or having a powder train past a seated ball. Just happen to be sawing some 308 cases shorter (to make 45 ACP shotshells) so I can see what that does / if it's needed.

Hmmm for making lube cookies has anyone ever considered extruding them once solid, then cutting off the desired thickness at a time i.e. push them out of a tube and cut 1/8" thick slices off as the lube extrudes that far?

You'll soon find Crisco way too runny, blows right out. I use 50% bore butter and 50% beeswax in a baby food jar. Go to 60% beeswax in hot weather and 40% in cold. I use a metal spatula to pack the lube over the balls once seated. Bore butter impregnated felt wads under the balls on top of the powder are great and very elegant.

My dad used to use an old plastic pill bottle with the label removed. Turn the lid over so no safety lock and with the serrations, the lids are still fairly easy to remove if your hands do get greasy.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

From my reading I was gathering that Crisco is too runny, yes - By Seattle so it's cool here this time of year, mind you. Snow on the ground outside tonight I probably will mix it ~ 50/50 with Paraffin wax to start off, see how a few ounces of that works for me. Move over to Tallow by next spring or summer as it's thicker, etc.

Boolit Master
    I still use the metal cake decorator I bought decades ago. Looks like a big metal syringe, and came with a few different tips for decorative cake frostings. It can be difficult in cold weather but since it's metal you can set it on something warm to let the Crisco flow. I remember setting it on my truck engine once on a cold day.

Boolit Buddy
    I use felt wads that have a slight amount of patch lube (olive oil and bees wax mixture) applied. I keep the patch lube in an Altoids tin.

I use deer fat that is under the skin near the tail warmed up and put in the knife scabbard to keep the knife from rusting. It might be good for your purpose. It does get hard when it is cold. I am thinking the oldtimers used a lot in their pistols. . Plus bear fat and raccoon fat for other uses.

Using bear grease, raccoon fat etc is admirable and I compliment those who do on their authenticity. I tried it a few times; I worked at a fur broker's shop in high school and fleshed 'coons and skinned muskrats so I took some of the hundreds of pounds of 'coon fat and used it for patch lube and combined it with beeswax for revolver seal. The stuff eventually went rancid and I can't get that stink out of my mind or clothes! I suspect it is the odor of our ancestors but I'm weak and prefer lavender, chamomile and pine sap...but I'm good with that unmanly side of me and after extensive psychological counselling and supervised visits to our local gun shop I am now able to purchase and use T/C bore butter which has helped with my PRFSD (post raccoon fat stress disorder). I still need to retreat to a "safe space" when I see a raccoon but my snowflake Councillor is helping me with that too. Waaaaaaaa!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast