MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media
RotoMetals2ADvertise hereLee PrecisionGraf & Sons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot In A Rifle Cartridge? Gun Show find...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    You would use one of the fast burning shotgun propellants. You can usually find reloading data for shotshells for most any caliber on the internet. Pistol rounds generally need a capsule of some type. Rifle rounds can contain the shot within without any difficulty. You basically load the shotshell cartridge the same way you do a shotgun shell. Case, propellant charge, a wad and spacer, the shot and a paper cap. The lip of the case is curled over enough to keep the cap in place. As mentioned, Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, 2400 and some others are all used for propellant. Faster pistol propellants would work too.

Now if you could get a longer case that you can size down, you can have the end protruding like a bullet and crimp it to hold the shot in place. Sort of like what some of the old blanks do.

Here is a example:
    for .45 ACP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LC4_UZfJZE

Oh yeah, I ran across a article on Wikipedia about "rat-shot" too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-shot

I have Hodgdon International powder for my shotshells, but my issue is that its for 40-82 in a Winchester 1886, that was made in 1889. So Im not sure if the modern fast burning powder will blow up the gun?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    You would use one of the fast burning shotgun propellants. You can usually find reloading data for shotshells for most any caliber on the internet. Pistol rounds generally need a capsule of some type. Rifle rounds can contain the shot within without any difficulty. You basically load the shotshell cartridge the same way you do a shotgun shell. Case, propellant charge, a wad and spacer, the shot and a paper cap. The lip of the case is curled over enough to keep the cap in place. As mentioned, Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, 2400 and some others are all used for propellant. Faster pistol propellants would work too.

Now if you could get a longer case that you can size down, you can have the end protruding like a bullet and crimp it to hold the shot in place. Sort of like what some of the old blanks do.

Here is a example:
    for .45 ACP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LC4_UZfJZE

Oh yeah, I ran across a article on Wikipedia about "rat-shot" too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-shot

Well my rifle is a WInchester 40-82 1886, made in 1889. So im not sure fast burning powders will work?

Boolit Master
    Good point. I would suggest using a black powder charge for the 40-82. Maybe using the load data for a old black powder .410 bore shotshell load would work.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-27-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: add more information

Boolit Bub
    Ah, good idea. I have 2f goex and pyrodex. Il see where I could by shot now.

Boolit Bub
    The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    As for the photo problem, and photo bucket, I just use Tapatalk. Tapatalk is free, the as free is $2, and they host photos for free and make it really easy to browse the forum and upload photos to the forum on one convenient app. You can also Browse all the forums in the same app, and do it all from your phone. Here is a pic I took while typing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12