RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input needed on new gun

Boolit Master

I have owned several rifles from CSA, 2 from Pedersoli, and one from Shiloh that I received 2 months ago. I also thought that the 74 action was large, ugly and clunky, but it grows on you.
    Five years ago Cabela's had the Pedersoli Hunter model on sale. It had a pistol grip, but was flat finish on the barrel and stock which didn't seem to affect accuracy. It had a 30" barrel. I had a number of Cabela's points on my CC and decided to jump. When I checked out I found out they had a discount for Vets. The gun ended up costing me $477.
    That gun was the easiest that I ever had to work up a load for and it has served me very well and has put a number of medals on the shelf. Please don't take this as bragging because I'm not really near as good as most of the guys who post here but when the conditions favor me I occasionally find that nut. Reading mirage and wind are sure not my strong points. This rifle that I have is a 45-70 and it will perform out to 1200Yd which the plaque will attest to.
    Having said all of that I always wanted a Shiloh and when I sold a bunch of guns last spring I ordered one through Bill Goodman. It is absolutely one of the best guns I own for fit and finish. I have not come up with a terrific load yet but I'm sure that will come when the weather improves. Point being once you are hooked you will have to have the best of the best, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't walk the trail. I don't think that I will ever regret buying that Pedersoli, or will I sell it anytime soon.
    BTW my old shooting buddy (RIP) holds several club records with that exact rifle.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    The original Creedmore rifles may have been legendary but they were so rare they are the equivalent of fantasy or vapor ware. Even so many of the Creedmore rifles were not Sharps. They were Remington Rolling Blocks. A friend of mine owns one with an almost totally shot out bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Sharps goes a bit beyond just a buffalo gun. It was the preferred rifle of the original Creedmoor shooters, and even the British abandoned their muzzleloaders and started using sharps rifles after the American teams kept whipping the pants off of everybody. I would about bet even the majority of sporting rifles probably shot more rabbits, and deer etc. than buffalo.
    The Hiwall is a later offering, altho JMB was selling his single shot rifle out of their Ogdon shop in the lahttp://www.statesman.com/news/local/locally-made-ezgro-gardens-make-growing-easy/NmJmThNPQ4zEe2I0Vn0EyM/te 1870's. I like the Browning/Winchester bpcr models, but it's darn hard to beat the C Sharps 85's in either the highwall or the lowall configuration, without going the full custom route using MVA actions and the wonderful talent of any of several gifted bpcr gunsmiths.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    In the fall Creedmoor in 1879 of the 34 shooters, 18 used Sharps rifles, 3 shot muzzleloaders, 3 Hepburns, and 1 Ballard, the rest of the balance were rollers.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Were any of the Sharps Pedersolies?

LOL... no.

Boolit Buddy
    By 1879, I'm thinking most of the Sharps used were Borchardts. Don, do you have a break down of anything like that? Was Farrow on the team and shooting the Ballard?

It was a bout 50-50 between the B and old model, as recorded in the equipment list.
    Yes Farrow was the only one shooting a Ballard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12