WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input needed on new gun

Boolit Mold

Input needed on new gun

Hi,I have been looking at this one and was wondering if anybody has any experience with it.I know Pedersoli brand is good but what about this one? Thanks Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Long-Range Rifle in 45-70

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    All Pedersoli barrels on any of their Sharps are match grade. Fit to finish is very good also. Having 2 Pedersoli Sharps model - would not have any fear ordering the Long Range Model

Sharps
    Model 1874 Long Range Rifle

Accurate reproduction of the rifle Sharps Long Range model made in December of 1876, converting rifles with 32" (813 mm) barrels length to 34" (864 mm). At the beginning it was produced with single trigger, only in February of 1879 some hundred pieces have been made with double set trigger. Stock and forend are made of selected walnut, checkered. The stock of civil type with pistol grip and cheek piece enables the shooting stability. The forend is completed with a German silver cap. Comes with USA 455 front tunnel sight. (Comes with barrel sight - NOT tang sight pictured.) Barrel length 34". Weight 12.13 lbs. (50/70 & 50/90 calibers 11.9 lbs) Note: All .45/90 & .45/120 caliber firearms are BLACK POWDER ONLY!
    S788-457 .45/70 caliber $2,250.00 (Special Order Only)
    S788-459 .45/90 caliber $2,400.00 (Special Order Only)
    S788-000 .45/120 caliber $2,485.00 (Special Order Only)
    (call for shipping and handling)
    http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm
    Regards
    John

Banned

right now, a good value in a pedersoli 74 sharps .45-70 will be from DGW ... straight stock, 32" OTR barrel, $1100 http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...roducts_id=981 ... killer sharps and price tag, for sure.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    And in the interest of price comparison
    https://shilohrifle.com/gun-inventor...er-30-hvy-oct/
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    yup, more than twice the price of that pedi 74 i posted further above.

but heck, it's a shiloh so it must be more than worth it, a much better gun that will hold it's value over time, else why bother posting the comparison, right?

nah, not really.
    Well it's not that complicated, the OP asked about the Pedersoli Long Range, John posted the Cherry's prices for said model, I then in turn for price comparison only posted from the Shiloh Inventory list..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Well it's not that complicated, the OP asked about the Pedersoli Long Range, John posted the Cherry's prices for said model, I then in turn for price comparison only posted from the Shiloh Inventory list..
    allow me to remind you - the OP, john, and i posted "pedersoli", you didn't ... that's the difference.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Pedersoli Long Range model sold by cabellas years ago. 34" half round barrel 1-18 twist. Its been a very good rifle for me ( and a few friends who have borrowed it to get started I shillouette) Mine is also 45-70. Mine likes the heavier bullets over the lighter ones. I normally cast Lyman 457125 510 grn rdn govt, 535 lyman postell, and a 550 grn shilouette from old west moulds for it and all perform very well out to 500yds for me over 1 1/2 olde ensforde BP. The one thing I would recommend is to replace the perdersoli's ladder sight with one from MVA or the other makers. Their front globe is okay.

Banned

if some form of target shooting is the OP's goal, then without a doubt a quality rear vernier and spirit globe front are pretty much mandatory. if so, i'd recommend lee shaver's super grade.

Boolit Grand Master

A good friend and competitor has a Shilo Sharps and his son in law to get started bought a Pedersoli. First time at the range guess who shot the best group by 1/2" at 300 yards! He has been competing with the Ped for a year now and is holding his own at the shoots, about mid level. BUT remember the shooting game is all in the mind and if you think you will shoot better with an X instead of a Y you WILL.

Banned

and ... as the arrow is more important than the bow, so is the cartridge/bullet more important than the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

In my mind the plus to the C Sharps and Shilohs is the number of choices you have when ordering one. Wood grade sometimes even selection of the blank, barrel length and twist, sights, chambering and sometimes chamber shape or form, Finish, and more. The pedersoli is off the rack as is, though usually a model can be found very close to what you want. Dealing with CPA, C Sharps or Shiloh is a much more personal experience and very enjoyable. The Draw back to these makers over pedersoli is the wait time to have the rifle built for you the way you want it.

Boolit Master
    Even at the higher price, I would take an American made C. Sharps, Shiloh, and of course CPA, many more options, higher resale value, etc.

Boolit Mold
    The reason I like the long range model is, it has the pistol grip stock and the wood seems to be a fancier grade on it also. It comes with a globe front sight and I will probably go with a long range Soule from Shaver on it. Cabelas currently has them for 1600 with free shipping to the store.I know the arguments about the difference between C.Sharps,Shiloh and Pedersoli but at this this time I am interested in the Pedersoli only.Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have a long range Pedersoli and a Billy Dixon. I bought both used but they both appeared to be unfired. They are both excellent shooters snd I got both for about 30% off of retail prices.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I have never seen anybody sell a Shiloh to buy a Pedersoli. I have, however, seen several people sell their Pedersolis to buy a Shiloh. There is a reason---

Quote Originally Posted by jj500 View Post
    The reason I like the long range model is, it has the pistol grip stock and the wood seems to be a fancier grade on it also. It comes with a globe front sight and I will probably go with a long range Soule from Shaver on it. Cabelas currently has them for 1600 with free shipping to the store.I know the arguments about the difference between C.Sharps,Shiloh and Pedersoli but at this this time I am interested in the Pedersoli only.Thanks
    Enjoy your rifle when you get it. Let us know how you get along with it.

Boolit Master
    To some of us the Sharps is the equivalent of an ugly baby. It is a hermaphrodite. The design is half breech loader and half muzzle loader. If you are not into the romance of playing buffalo hunter the design is not very appealing visually or functionally. You have to jack around with both the hammer and the DST to fire it.
    If you are going to spend Shiloh money why not buy a better design? Buy a Highwall.

Otherwise Pedersolis are readily available. You can look at and buy both new and used Pedersolis right now without the issues of special orders and waiting and the high price.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    I have never seen anybody sell a Shiloh to buy a Pedersoli. I have, however, seen several people sell their Pedersolis to buy a Shiloh. There is a reason---
    EDG

Banned

imho, of all the usual 19th century single shot actions the rolling block is the easiest to take apart and maintain, followed by the sharps. i've worked on both. i've not owned nor worked on a browning high wall, but have heard they're not so friendly to disassemble? if so, i'll stick with rollers and sharps actions.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    To some of us the Sharps is the equivalent of an ugly baby. It is a hermaphrodite. The design is half breech loader and half muzzle loader. If you are not into the romance of playing buffalo hunter the design is not very appealing visually or functionally. You have to jack around with both the hammer and the DST to fire it.
    If you are going to spend Shiloh money why not buy a better design? Buy a Highwall.

Otherwise Pedersolis are readily available. You can look at and buy both new and used Pedersolis right now without the issues of special orders and waiting and the high price.
    Sharps goes a bit beyond just a buffalo gun. It was the preferred rifle of the original Creedmoor shooters, and even the British abandoned their muzzleloaders and started using sharps rifles after the American teams kept whipping the pants off of everybody. I would about bet even the majority of sporting rifles probably shot more rabbits, and deer etc. than buffalo.
    The Hiwall is a later offering, altho JMB was selling his single shot rifle out of their Ogdon shop in the late 1870's. I like the Browning/Winchester bpcr models, but it's darn hard to beat the C Sharps 85's in either the highwall or the lowall configuration, without going the full custom route using MVA actions and the wonderful talent of any of several gifted bpcr gunsmiths.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    and ... as the arrow is more important than the bow, so is the cartridge/bullet more important than the gun.
    And good eye sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast