Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Why cast makes me crazy!

Boolit Buddy

Why cast makes me crazy!

Sitting in my bench I have 100 test loads in various configurations to work up an ‘accuracy’ load. My current is set to min PF for competing and is good enough for alpha/Charlie work.

So I take my BIL, the Gunny to a local range with a bunch of my plinking ammo. (124gr TC over 3.9TG) for GLOCK 34. Send the target to 25y for offhand try.

7 touching (10 shot group). This is about as good as I get. But it also makes me feel like a crazy person for having all those ladder loads at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adam_mac84; 12-23-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    Sitting in my bench I have 100 test loads in various configurations to work up an ‘accuracy’ load. My current is set to min PF for competing and is good enough for alpha/Charlie work.

So I take my BIL, the Gunny to a local range with a bunch of my plinking ammo. (124gr TC over 3.9TG) for GLOCK 34. Send the target to 25y for offhand try.

7 touching (10 shot group). This is about as good as I get. But it also makes me feel like a crazy person for having all those ladder loads at home.

I don't own a glock but my friend tried some of my 40 sw in his glock and they shot like **** and they drive tacks in my SIG 320 and my SW mp and I my 1911 conversations pistol so I'm no help we havnt played with loads for his glock yet I do know that glock blistered my brass bad I had to buy the lee kit to straighten it out lol

Boolit Buddy
    Glock barrels are NOT meant for cast boolits...Jktd only.. They use polygon rifling. Rounded corners on lands and grooves

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post

I don't understand what you mean. But from the target it SEEMS like a good load. But it can just as well not be. If you understand that if you can do that the vast majority of the time it probably is a good load. If you can't, oh well. Back to the drawing board.
    Oh yes, many shoot cast from a Glock barrel. How many manufacturers say shoot reloads with any bullet Type?
    Cast bullets if not soft will be okay.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    Glock barrels are NOT meant for cast boolits...Jktd only.. They use polygon rifling. Rounded corners on lands and grooves
    That makes sense I know that I worked to find a load that worked in all three of my 40sw but they shoot great I was rather puzzled when the shot so bad in his his barrel is a bit shorter than mine but I throughly didn't think that would make that much difference the rifle dose make sense

Banned

it's a diameter thing.
    the glocks are like marlins in that regard, bigger AND harder is the key to making them work.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s a zev barrel. Consequently my Glock Barrel does not lead. I am just saving it. For. Something I guess. Haha. (Zev was a near gift price so I run it)

Boolit Master
    They also day they void your warranty if you shoot reloads. Do you? Done correctly cast shoot fine, over 1000 in my new glock and not a problem. Just because some idiot let lead build up in his barrel and he had a failure the lawyers told them to do a disclaimer.

Boolit Bub
    I shot a G35 for about 18 months. Shot about 12,000 of my Lee 175 TC bullets without a problem. I just picked up a G17 that will be fed lead too. I shot about 200 rounds through it yesterday, and three passes with a dry brush had what little lead there was cleaned out.

Boolit Buddy
    to the op, I loaded up some cast for my wifes g22, I was going to ladder test and had everything all laid out and written down, and for the heck of it I went out and shot a ten shot group at about 10 yards on a steel plate to see if it would lead and function, I to was surprised at the result. please take into consideration I'm not a good shooter yet. but at the time I put all 10 shots into about a 3 inch group. I was amazed. no leading at all either. so I never did ladder test that load. I have since run about 500 tumble lubed and maybe 7-800 standard lubed through that same handgun. I haven't shot it in well over a year but I know what works in it. and no leading at all to speak of anywhere in the gun. I must have gotten real lucky.