WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: MVA B2 scope on my 1874 Sharps retrofit

Boolit Buddy

MVA B2 scope on my 1874 Sharps retrofit

So was able to get my MVA scope installed. Took a lot of trial fitting to get the scope in the ideal position. Problem with me is I tend to settle behind the scope eyepiece at different relief distances depending on if I shooting benchrest or prone. Shooting benchrest it's simple to make a subtle eye relief adjustment, but when i'm prone it's much more difficult. So obviously I positioned the scope ideally for prone. I immediately learned that for the MVA B5 scope having precise eye relief is critical as it's challenging to obtain the perfect sight picture. First step was to establish my eye relief measurement. After clamping the scope on my tripod I ended up at 2.25". The next issue was getting the scope positioned properly on the barrel, AND maintaining the ideal 7.2" center to center mount dimension as specified by MVA. After much time crunching the numbers I realized I can't get my rear mount in the correct position as the mount would have been sitting on the barrel radius taper at the very rear near the receiver. My issue with the front mount is the factory 4mm tapped hole for the rear leaf sight was too close to where I needed to drill a hole for the new MVA mount block. So after tweaking the dimensions a little here and a little there I was able to obtain my 2.25" eye relief and get the rear mount flat off the ramped slope of the barrel, and get the front mount drilled and tapped and clear of the M4 tapped hole. I purposely drilled and tapped an optional extra front mount hole so I have the option of mounting the front block at either 7.44" centers or 6.88" centers. I will have to experiment with each mount position to see what outcomes I get with elevation dope increments. Had NO problems tapping the barrel the material is actually very soft and tapped perfect.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice looking rig. Be sure to tell us how it shoots.