WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Your mould database?

Moderator Emeritus

Your mould database?

With ice, snow, and more ice, 'tis the season for me to clean up the casting arena. Part of it, for me, too, is to hopefully come up with some sort of data-base so I might readily see what I have for a bullet casting project.
    NOW, I simply have a list, with moulds sorted by manufacturer, as a Microsoft Word document. However... you know what they say about idle time... I've been coging re a better way to accomplish this. There is but one commercial offering I came across (http://www.tmtpages.com/MoldListBuy/index.htm) and have interest if anyone here has used it, and might comment on it. I played a bit the other eve attempting an Access data-base, but I'm not computer-savvy enough for it to be problematic-free. Perhaps my Nth try might be the charm?
    Anyway -- I've received so much wonderful advice from this forum's knowledgeable members, I thought I'd throw this query.
    Your suggestions will be appreciated!
    And.... Merry Christmas!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I long ago catalogued my numerous molds in a Word document, that I print out and keep in a binder. This looks like an interesting program, but at $26.06, I'll pass.

Boolit Master
    Excel file. Add columns for any data that you want and you can sort on any one of the columns.

This is how I try to keep track.... so when a new mold is posted in S&S the reason I usually dont post as fast as Brass Magnet is that I have to check my spreadsheet haha! Microsoft Excel is what I used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mold-database.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	210102
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

I use a spread sheet very much like maxreloader above. I use microsoft excel as it came with my machine. You may also have it. In the "markings" colume, I used a "standardized" Lyman number system adding zeros or other digit to make it a 6 digit number, Lyman format. Additional comments are in other columes. This allows me to sort the whole list at any time to check for duplicates, availability. for example, a Lyman 11mm mold is 446110 and the RCBS is 44370. The RCBS number gets changed to 446370. This allows it to sort and land in the 11mm section. The real RCBS number is in the next colume.
    See if you have excel on your machine.

Boolit Grand Master

Excel spreadsheet works well for me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Do you know how long it would take to entry 231 molds into the tmt database that are now on my Excel spread sheet? It's nice but I wouldn't even venture a guess. Pass ...
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Do you know how long it would take...
    Well if you export to comma sep, csv etc then do an import into the new database... maybe quicker than you think.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, THANK YOU GREATLY! for responses. I kind of like maxreloader's spreadsheet method. I, too have more than a couple hundred chunks of brass, iron, aluminum, etc. with cavities in them. 'Specially with the past two days' weather -- 9 more inches snow mixed with freezing rain added to present desolation dust on ground -- the TIME factor will not be too much of a deterrent . (Sure beats watching t.v.?) I do have a question for someone with more computer (e.g., Exel) knowledge than I have. To wit, can the columns be clicked for sorting like, say, iTunes (Artist, Album, Genre, etc) -- so -- for example -- if I wish to sort and see what I have in one diameter, I'd need but click on that column? I think one can do that with Microsoft Access -- hence my trying/attempting that program -- but, the Excel may be easier for me to master.
    Thanks again -- and BEST Christmas wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master

NO !! YOU MUST HIGHLIGHT THE ENTIRE SS - ALL DATA -- PRIOR TO SORTING
    What you suggest works, but you will get one colume of data all outta wack with the others.

you must high light the whole SS, then ALL columes will sort /move together

make sense?

Boolit Master

In maxreloader SS above, if you sorted on the BRAND colume as highlighted, it would sort ONLY the brand and not bring all the other stuff with it

would you like a copy of mine? I can email easy enough.

Boolit Buddy

Excel is the most versatile way to do it.
    Been using for years for: Molds, cases, primers, power and all other gear.

Boolit Master

I look at the boxes as they are marked what the mould is and size facing view.

Has worked for 40+ years.