RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ,393 British large chambers

I have some South African PMP cases. They have a smaller capacity than all the others I have measured. So perhaps the web area is thicker and stronger. I used them in my short barrelled pig gun because of the smaller case capacity.

I made a few neck sizers and expanders for minimum sizing to get the ID I need. Ideally, there should be no expanding required but my sizer is for jacketed's and it works just fine for that purpose. For paper patching or cast I expand to the size required and it basically stays there.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

At last they are all gone. They were Remingtons and Winchester. I've started it fresh with PPU factory loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    This is a WRA drawing which dates from the Lend-Lease period and was later revised postwar, its dimensions being similar to the SAAMI chamber:

Attachment 211568
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a MK II that went through FTR in the 50s that has a chamber like that, like new bore.
    Here is a link to some of my 303 cases.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...field-chambers
    mr

When loading cast in my 303's I use an 8x57 size die, on the neck ONLY. All 4 of the chambers I load for will accept this, and I am using NOE 316299 bullets sized to .315. I am experimenting with reformed 30-40 brass (longer neck to utilize long chambers) but can not comment on results , yet. I am sure others have gone down this path before. JW

I have one chamber with a shorter than usual neck. I know it's shorter because longer cases fired in it have this tapered mouth tell tale.

Good idea on the 8x57 die.

It's interesting that with a head separation there is no gas leak - or at least, not when I had them. My last head separation was in my early days with my first Lee Enfield back in the seventies. My uncle, a retired gunsmith, gave me that tip for leaving the case lube on the cases at that time. Never looked back.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-16-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    When loading cast in my 303's I use an 8x57 size die, on the neck ONLY. All 4 of the chambers I load for will accept this, and I am using NOE 316299 bullets sized to .315. I am experimenting with reformed 30-40 brass (longer neck to utilize long chambers) but can not comment on results , yet. I am sure others have gone down this path before. JW
    You can make some longer cases from .303 blanks that are on the market now. Don't shoot them first, the crimp sometimes splits back too far, ruining the neck. I made 30-40 from them, during the recent shortage of 30-40.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    You can make some longer cases from .303 blanks that are on the market now. Don't shoot them first, the crimp sometimes splits back too far, ruining the neck. I made 30-40 from them, during the recent shortage of 30-40.
    Thanks madsenshooter, I will keep my eyes open and procure some if they should become available in my area. BTW I have only "ruined" 31 of the coveted 30-40 brass to date, so don't shoot me !!! JW

I neck size fired HXP brass in my only No.4 with my 7.65 Belgium RCBS FL die. Works great, I stop just short of the shoulder and leave a little donut for neck support. I use the 7.65 seater too. I expand with an NOE plug to .311. I don't like oiling cases as it does increase stress on the bolt lugs, I have a calculator for this somewhere. O ring is the best method but is cumbersome for me even. I deal with the bulge and neck size.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12