Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Harvey A. Donaldson in old Handloader magazines

Boolit Master

Harvey A. Donaldson in old Handloader magazines

Just spending a quiet summery day here in south Florida re-reading some very early issues of Handloader magazine... what a terrific repository of valuable reloading info! I wish there was a computer database of all the articles, stories, letters and tips in these magazines!
    One of my very favorite features every issue was the column by Harvey Donaldson. He had to have been past 86 years old in the '70's that I just finished yet perfectly lucid, at least by his written words. His stories of chuck shooting in the Mohawk valley of New York and other famous riflemen and gunsmiths from decades before were always so fascinating. He was born in 1984 but I didn't find any article saying when he passed but must have been in the early '70's.
    He often mentioned his rifles and shooting equipment that he still possesed, including a Steven .28-30 rifle that he ordered built in 1900! He also had much of his correspondence with other famous shooters, wonder where all of that went when he passed?

Boolit Master

Fully agree. There's a book somewhere the compiles those articles, that's where I read these. Here it is... hmm my copy didn't cost that much:

https://www.amazon.com/Yours-Truly-H.../dp/0935632018
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Moderator Emeritus

It is however worth a ton to those who need information.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    As I sit here in the silence of night just a couple days before Christmas your post takes my mind back in time. The mentors are all gone now.

I had to check your profile after that post. The 82nd. More reflection of the old days. I was with the 503rd, I think I knew every square inch of Ft. Bragg including the highly restricted areas. Every floor of Womack. We would go to the Sport Parachute Club, pack chutes on the packing tables upstairs, then go downstairs and drink beer before the morning jumps. Those were the days. I'll bet that almost everything I knew there has been torn down.

Banned
    Thanks, just bought one on Amazon.

Boolit Master
    I have that book and find it to be a fountain of information and just fun reading.

I have a copy, have had since it was first published. Have not read it in a while, maybe I need to again.
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

I found a copy via Amazon and it is on order. Can't believe I never bought a copy before.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    I have a copy, have had since it was first published. Have not read it in a while, maybe I need to again.
    Kevin
    Ditto...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

Dr.Mann and Pope both spoke of the 28-30 round.
    they would slide the bullet into the barrel then place the loaded case behind it.
    usually it was a bore diameter pure lead slug [other alloys were tried] later it become more of a silhouette style design.
    it was expected to slump back and fill the groove diameter when fired.