Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ar15

Boolit Buddy
    has any one had or heard of franicis armament or hanover armory or radical firearms all make 50 Beowulf uppers I had a 458 socom rock river that I carried with a single point sling had know problem packing it all day was liter than my magnum rifles and truck gun sold in need of money for another gun deal should have keep it fun gun

Boolit Grand Master

A buddy has an AR 15 in 30 AR that he loves. Too bad Remington never got behind it. It basically equals the 300 Savage but in an AR 15.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    ARs are not light.

You can build a 7 pound 308 on a bolt gun but an AR that will work as well will be 10 pounds. (been there done it)

There are a few hunting applications where an AR is a reasonable choice (Hogs and called Yotes comes to mind) but a 308 or 244 740 would do as well and be lighter.

Dad went to war with an M-1 but never took one hunting.

I have an AR10 and 2 15s with multi uppers. Fun to shoot, useful if ISIS comes to call but not my cup of tea when hunting.

But I like revolvers too......
    TAC there are quite a few AR10's out there that hit that 7 pound bracket and you can build one today too!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Ive used my 50 beo on deer but keep in mind its about a 150 yard proposition with the big bores. A standare 5.56 loaded with 60 grain partitions will suffice as a deer gun and still give you the option of cheap ammo and brass and bulk bullets. carried my ar10 one year deer hunting it will be the last year. WAY to heavy to carry around all season. Never used one and to be honest never even shot one but I would think if I was looking for the best round for a ar15 for deer id be looking at the 6.5 creedmore.
    Lloyd I hope you meant a 6.5 CM in an AR10. You can't shoehorn that round in an AR15.

Remington had the idea, but it didn't catch on. It was their own 30RAR which was a hybrid AR15. It had an AR10 size bolt and strength, but the rest of the rifle was AR15.

DPMS has that G2 that's about 7 lbs naked. My buddy hung stuff on it and loaded it and poof it's 11 lbs now. Definitely a stand gun. Unless you like weight training while still hunting....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    A buddy has an AR 15 in 30 AR that he loves. Too bad Remington never got behind it. It basically equals the 300 Savage but in an AR 15.
    I wanted to get one, but it is too late. They pretty much discontinued the thing now. I tried for a barrel and bolt too, but those are gone as well.

Banned

my mistake. I was thinking the 6.8 and somehow had a brain fart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Lloyd, I'm pretty sure 6.5 Creedmore is based on the .308 Win case and is NOT available in the AR-15 platform. You'll need and AR-10/SR-25 to use it.

Motor

Boolit Master
    I have a .450 Bushmaster I put together as a hunting rifle and I'd say it's a 300 yard gun, as long as you have a fair idea of the range you're shooting for a given shot. Set up with the 250 grain Hornady FTX bullets at 2,200 fps it exactly matches the BDC reticules of both the Leupold Ultimate slam series scopes and the older Nikon muzzle loader scopes, (I went with the Leupold and haven't tried the newer Nikon XR series glass). Mine will keep the 250 grain FTX in 2" at 300 yards from a decent rest, and still carrying about 900 ft-lb that's plenty for anything less than the big bears.

That's amazing accuracy, BD. Did you handload those FTX bullets or are they factory loads? Whose barrel did you use for your build? And what is the drop in feet at 300 yards? Sounds like a great "thumper!"

If you decide to go with the .458 socom Tromix offers a lightweight profile 16" barrel that will help to keep the weight down. Main reason I went with the .458socom myself is because it headspaces off the shoulder, uses standard AR15 mags (the rounds don't pop out of the mags on their own either) and uses .458" bullets. Max range for it really is 250 yards though some guys have stretched it out further. Once you get past 200 yards it really starts dropping off and starts to go out of the reliable expansion range of a lot of bullets. There are only a couple manufacturers I would recommend for .458soc rifles and parts and Radical Firearms is not one of them. For longer ranges go with something like the 6.5grendel or one of the dozens of other wildcats.

Boolit Master
    It is a very accurate rifle for what it is, and with a variety of loads. And it's not the only .450B I've seen that was accurate with jacketed. Cast is a little tougher as it seems to consistently shoot three touching with two outliers resulting in groups around 2-1/2" at 100 with 300 grain cast bolts.
    I handload the 250 gr FTX over 40 grains of WC297 in cut down .284 brass using large rifle primers. I load the cast in factory brass using small rifle primers. I put this rifle together in a fit of anti-political correctness while on a job in upstate NY. The local range there was only about 80 yards, and I put the first 50 rounds, (250 gr FTX over Lil Gun) into 1-1/4" hole from a bench rest, including 10 rounds fired by the guy who was at the bench next to me who had became interested in the loud noise/small groups. Drop at 300 yards is around 24", and the BDC "hold" for 300 is the top of the thick section of the lower cross hair, so you do need to be able to make a half accurate estimation of range.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5869.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	210765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5872.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	210766

Boolit Master
    Did I mention that .450B brass is readily available and lasts as long as .45 acp brass?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12