Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN-FAL -- Any interest?

Boolit Master

FN-FAL -- Any interest?

Hey people,

I've been a long time member here but haven't been as active as I'd like to be due to life (no health problems Thank God...) and haven't cast a Bullet in a couple of years BUT, I am finally getting finished with every reloaders dream shop - and I mean DREAM SHOP. this is mostly due to the most wonderful wife in the world and I will post lots of pictures when it's finally done.

Back to the subject. In the last few years I've been mostly into Black Rifles and have built dozens -- just like I used to do with my beloved Mausers.

SOOOO, being bored with these I decided to take on a new venture. I've always loved the design of the FN-FAL rifles as well as their design so I decided I'd build one.....only problem being the surplus of receivers has done the same thing as the surplus of Mauser actions did many years back, dried up. I was severely bummed out. Complete rifles are rediculous in price so I went on a hunt, unsuccessful for many months. Then I discovered a company with which I'm also a dealer actually makes receivers, Coonan Inc. They are discontinuing their line of G3 receivers as of the end of this year but if you want an original G3 they are taking orders through December 31st. After that they will CONTINUE to make receivers in the type III DESIGN with ejector blocks installed and carry handle cuts should you desire. I have ordered a few just for me -- the lady I talked to at Coonan was extremely knowledgeable about the FAL design and I was informed most kits do fit the Type III design and the G3 with custom serial numbers was mainly for guys that wanted to have an original numbers matching rifle of which I could care less.

Now, I've got to tell you -- I know less than almost NOTHING about what's called the worlds finest battle rifle (FN-FAL), but I intend on learning.

The bad news (maybe) is they expect a six month wait and were very up front about that -- I've been waiting a year for McMillan to get me a stock, and waited three years for a set of Randall knives I now possess so no biggie for me. Also, if you call Coonan and get on their list, if they happen to run across a truckload of receivers (which they told me they've run into twice in the last ten years...) you will get first pick.

Sorry to be long winded here but I know some of you guys have big mouths like me so spread the word if you would, call them if you're interested, the more they can sell, the more they're going to make. I'd love to hear responses because I feel like a kid at Christmas right now, if you think I'm nuts, feel free to tell me that too....

Oh yeah, latest AR build is a 50 Beowulf which I will attempt to find, size and shoot Cast bullets from (that BS about clogging the gas tube is just that by the way.....BS ="Bull Stuffies".....

Hope I'm not out of line here, I'll get back to posting casting stuff as soon as dream shop is completed, thanks for taking the time to read this and.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Vendor Sponsor

Fal is a great rifle .. be prepared they are hard on brass .. they love to put a huge extractor mark in the rim
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    and if you dont adjust the gas they will too them to the next county .

Boolit Master
    You're gonna love it! They are hard on brass but there is a way to tune the ejector, just a matter of carefully dressing the face.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    So long as you don't use slow burning powders the gas regulator can be set to compensate and allow reasonable extraction with minimal damage to the case rim.
    I've seen a FAL nearly tear the rim off match grade ammo loaded with slow powders.
    Excessive gas port pressure causes the action to begin to open before the bullet exits the muzzle and chamber pressure locks the case body into the chamber.

Proper gas port pressures are a necessity for smooth operation of most gas operated designs.

Any interest? You're kidding! I'd love to have one--or maybe two or three! Preferably the British inch pattern. But, I am in disagreement with your statement that they were/are the best battle rifle in the world. I'll take the M14.

Boolit Master
    You may also experience some problems with the Coonan receiver. I won't go into details, because it would take too long. Join the Fal Files and do a search for Coonan receivers by Gunplumber. You'll have plenty of reading. Unfortunately, DSA receivers, the only other real option at this time, aren't any better. You'd be better off watching the classifieds there for a take-off Imbel receiver.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have an FN FAL lower with stock , grips, and internals sitting in my gun closet at the moment.
    Its not mine. it belongs to a friend who asked me to make a left handed lace on cheek piece to replace the right hand one that's on the stock now.

Been a long time since I've given these any thought. I'll dig that lower out later and check the markings.

Banned
    I built a Israeli Heavy Barrel FAL. I would purcase a different upper than the Coonan myself I used a DS Arms upper receiver and it went together very well and is very accurate. I have no problem with brass getting torn up either. I'm thinking about selling it to pay the hospital bill from having my heart worked on. I also have a Israeli Heavy barrel that has been machined down in length along with a standard barrel. The heavy barrel is the cream of the crop generally generating around $2500. for a super nice one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Hey people,

I've been a long time member here but haven't been as active as I'd like to be due to life (no health problems Thank God...) and haven't cast a Bullet in a couple of years BUT, I am finally getting finished with every reloaders dream shop - and I mean DREAM SHOP. this is mostly due to the most wonderful wife in the world and I will post lots of pictures when it's finally done.

Back to the subject. In the last few years I've been mostly into Black Rifles and have built dozens -- just like I used to do with my beloved Mausers.

SOOOO, being bored with these I decided to take on a new venture. I've always loved the design of the FN-FAL rifles as well as their design so I decided I'd build one.....only problem being the surplus of receivers has done the same thing as the surplus of Mauser actions did many years back, dried up. I was severely bummed out. Complete rifles are rediculous in price so I went on a hunt, unsuccessful for many months. Then I discovered a company with which I'm also a dealer actually makes receivers, Coonan Inc. They are discontinuing their line of G3 receivers as of the end of this year but if you want an original G3 they are taking orders through December 31st. After that they will CONTINUE to make receivers in the type III DESIGN with ejector blocks installed and carry handle cuts should you desire. I have ordered a few just for me -- the lady I talked to at Coonan was extremely knowledgeable about the FAL design and I was informed most kits do fit the Type III design and the G3 with custom serial numbers was mainly for guys that wanted to have an original numbers matching rifle of which I could care less.

Now, I've got to tell you -- I know less than almost NOTHING about what's called the worlds finest battle rifle (FN-FAL), but I intend on learning.

The bad news (maybe) is they expect a six month wait and were very up front about that -- I've been waiting a year for McMillan to get me a stock, and waited three years for a set of Randall knives I now possess so no biggie for me. Also, if you call Coonan and get on their list, if they happen to run across a truckload of receivers (which they told me they've run into twice in the last ten years...) you will get first pick.

Sorry to be long winded here but I know some of you guys have big mouths like me so spread the word if you would, call them if you're interested, the more they can sell, the more they're going to make. I'd love to hear responses because I feel like a kid at Christmas right now, if you think I'm nuts, feel free to tell me that too....

Oh yeah, latest AR build is a 50 Beowulf which I will attempt to find, size and shoot Cast bullets from (that BS about clogging the gas tube is just that by the way.....BS ="Bull Stuffies".....

Hope I'm not out of line here, I'll get back to posting casting stuff as soon as dream shop is completed, thanks for taking the time to read this and.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Art
    I was into the FAL for a while and still would like to get another. The Coonan receivers have had issues over the years, it would probably be best to look for a Imbel gear logo receiver. Also, the price of parts kits and original barrels have gone through the roof. It's usually quite a bit cheaper to buy a complete rifle than build one yourself.
    By the way, I'm practically your neighbor now, we move just outside Petoskey.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I have 2 that I acquired years ago during the Brady ban. One inch pattern American made, one metric CAI kit with thumbhole stock I hate. I can't reach the safety normally. The inch pattern is supposed to hold metric mags but they sit too low for proper feeding of cartridges. Both are battle rifle accurate.

I didn't know they went up in price like they seem to have. I paid less than $750.00 for the complete rifle. No I don't want to sell.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 12-24-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: =%$_&&^,*>* auto correct

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I was into the FAL for a while and still would like to get another. The Coonan receivers have had issues over the years, it would probably be best to look for a Imbel gear logo receiver. Also, the price of parts kits and original barrels have gone through the roof. It's usually quite a bit cheaper to buy a complete rifle than build one yourself.
    By the way, I'm practically your neighbor now, we move just outside Petoskey.
    Yup you’re real close, I live out in Brutus in back of Harbor and Alanson. Coonan did admit to having issues which is why they’re scaling back. Have a shooting range out back and would love you to come over and shoot some day this summer!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Banned
    There are plenty for sale on GB.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Excessive gas port pressure causes the action to begin to open before the bullet exits the muzzle and chamber pressure locks the case body into the chamber..
    Uh... no. The gas port is too far down the barrel, too much link and tilting block inertia, etc. for this to possibly happen.

It takes time for brass to relax from the stiction phase and be ready for easy extraction. All auto-loaders push the limit on how soon they begin extraction, which is why we have to full length resize self-loader fired brass. But before the bullet exits? No. Physical impossibility, at least with a good design like the FAL.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    "Uh... no. The gas port is too far down the barrel, too much link and tilting block inertia, etc. for this to possibly happen."

The gas port is certainly not further down the barrel than the M1 Garand gas port, which has suffered the same effects of slow burning powder and excessive gas port pressures when using heavy bullet match grade loads better suited to bolt action rifles.
    Its pretty close to the same position as the M14 gas port , but the M14 has a very different method of bleeding off and metering the flow, the hot gas expanding after the valve closes itself.

You might be correct that the major problem is the brass not springing back quickly enough, but that's not how it was explained to me, and I doubt that amount of transitory friction would have resulted in the magnitude of rim damage I witnessed.

Boolit Master
    Used the FN in the Army and never again...heavy, inaccurate, pain in the *** to clean,etc.

I have two STG-58’s and while they are good for their intended purpose, they stink for much else. Good luck getting one to feed a cast bullet without beating it to death. They’re quite destructive on brass too.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

There are no "Surplus" Receivers and there never was. Receivers were Full automatic therefore not importable.

Receivers were aftermarket without the full auto features. The supply of kits dried up and with newer BATF rules barrels were forbidden.

As usual laws stopped the builds and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    There are no "Surplus" Receivers and there never was. Receivers were Full automatic therefore not importable.

Receivers were aftermarket without the full auto features. The supply of kits dried up and with newer BATF rules barrels were forbidden.

As usual laws stopped the builds and fun.

There was a rare exception. Steyr did make a few (very few) receivers without the auto sear cut. There were only about 3 thousand or so. I was lucky enough to run up on one not long ago. They were imported just before the import ban in the 80’s.

It’s one of my Crown Jewels. Lol!
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Only put one together, an Imbel kit on an Imbel gear logo receiver. Not as easy as an AR15 but pretty easy. The commercial manufactured receivers are supposed to have more issues with barrel timing, feed ramp, lower lockup ect. Mine shot almost or as good as my M1A but with the adjustable gas system it seemed softer recoiling. Wish they would of thought ahead about optics mounting when designing it as the dust cover mounts always seemed cheesy to me. Sold mine when money got tight, but I'd get another one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast