Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee 410 195gr SWC

Moderator Emeritus

Lee 410 195gr SWC

I've been casting and shooting the 41 mag quite a bit this fall and winter.
    I've emptied a lot of brass...and thinking of loading a bunch.
    I kind of forgot about this boolit, I bought this mold last winter and did some test casts with it and then put it on shelf and forgot about it.

Yesterday, I melted some 40% COWW and 60% soft scrap. It measured 9 BHN an hour after casting.

It's a joy when these lightweight Lee 2 cav molds drop nice boolits like an expensive mold.

Attachment 210067

Attachment 210068

I'm thinking of a like load, like 5 gr. of Red Dot, I'm guessing that should be about 750 to 800 fps, judging by published loading data of 7gr Red Dot spec'd at 1000fps.

Have a good one.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-23-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added load data
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I hated Lee molds for years, just couldn't get anything but rejects out of them. Tried a six cavity and learned a bit. eventually got the hang of them and now have a few of the two cavity ones. I'm getting older and weaker now and don't have the hand and forearm strength I used to, the lightweight molds are nice in that regard.

Not sure why, but I've had the itch to get a .41 for a while now. I need to start reloading and casting for another caliber like a hole in my head and I have enough .357, .44 and .45 guns, I sure don't need one but...

Boolit Master
    I use that Lee mold/bullet in my 8" Model 57....7.0 Grains of Red Dot gives me 1,088 average muzzle velocity. Using lighter charges and I get higher std deviations and the cases get sooty. For some reason the bullets cast come in at around 210 grains with WW metal...on the heavy side. The Lee 210 SWC-TL version is also an excellent choice.

I found some cast 175 gr boolits before I started casting and with 10.0 gr SR4756 it was like shooting a large caliber 22 but way more fun. I now use a Mehi 413640 Large HP at around 205 grains, 6.5gr Red Dot and still just as fun. Have not chrono'd them so don't know the velocity. I'll have to do that some time I guess.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I am now on my second Lee mold in the 410-195-SW pattern and really like it. These boolits will fit into any cylinder length I have, including a Taurus 5-shot snub (ported) that I added to the herd a few years ago. Before that I ran these through a S&W m-58 and they were a delight. Right now I have 5 molds for the 41's, choice of RN, WC and SWC. It seems that I commonly gravitate back to this Lee pattern more often than not.

I have shot thousands of these bullets over the years. Mostly light loads at around 1000 fps. Makes for cheap shooting.

Boolit Master

5gr of red dot is my load for that boolite can't say how fast there going but shoot good in my 4 5/8 BH
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

My 195 mold has spiral chatter marks around the nose.
    Sort of strange looking but it shoots OK in the .41 cal modified 1858 Remington with 25 grains of black.