MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hole in rear butt stock repair ??

Boolit Buddy

Hole in rear butt stock repair ??

I like to ask any one have any ideas what I can use to fill a hole on a rem 1100. I hate the looks of a swivel hole on a stock.
    I really don't want to redo and strip the stock.
    I tried to see if the Marlin bulleplug would fit but it is a little too small.

Banned
    take off the buttplate. take a piece of wood from under it. use it to fill the hole. it's as close as you'll get to an unseen repair.

Boolit Master
    I'd go for the old-fashioned plastic wood, the kind that has a cellulose solvent. It will shrink a little (unlike the epoxy fillers), but you just add a little more until it dries just proud of the surface. Finish it off with small files and fine abrasive paper, using a mask of tape or drinks can aluminium with a hole in it, to protect the finish.

I've used two colours of plastic wood to imitate wood grain. But then I had them for other things. It doesn't keep forever once opened, and it seems a pity to buy two tubes to use only about the size of a pea from each. I only know of the epoxy wood fillers in a very pale colour, and it doesn't take stain as well as plastic wood.

Alternatively you can cut a diamond shaped piece of walnut about an eighth of an inch thick, a, nd inlay it in the wood. A circular hole is easier to make accurately, but that is going to cross the grain and front and rear, so glue will soak in and make the join more noticeable. Epoxy or wood glue are fine, but don't use superglue, as it will soak into the fibres more conspicuously.

Remington 1100 wood stock's usually have Remington's polymer (epoxy) finish applied at the factory, so short of stripping the entire stock after filling the hole, you can only camouflage the repair.

If you create some sawdust from holes drilled into the end of the buttstock under the butt plate/pad (so the repair will match the rest of the stock), the sawdust added into some 5-minute epoxy should go a long way to help - especially if a spot coat of clear epoxy is applied atop the filler/repair.

Alternately, I've inlayed a small curved Gold or Silver colored blank initial plate to cover the hole.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I think epoxy will darken walnut sawdust considerably. Maybe if you have a gun with much paler wood to act as a donor, it might work. Its strength and adhesion should be fine.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 12-25-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    ............. or just fill the hole with straight epoxy and shape to fit. Leaves a smooth stock, at least.

Alternately, I've inlayed a small curved Gold or Silver colored blank initial plate to cover the hole.
    This!

...or you could modify a wood screw to match the profile of the head to the curve of the stock with the kerf parallel to the stock. Polish the head & and heat to a nice deep blue color.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

A piece taken from under the butt plate or recoil pad should make a very close match. There are dowel cutters for drill press that will cut a nice round piece quick and easy. This only need to be 3/16- 1/4" thick to cover the hole. (I would plug the spot under the pad with a piece of dowel also, but since it dosnt show match isn't near as important here). A flat ground drill to cut a nice flat hole to depth ( provides alot more surface for the glue than just the edges and the vee point does). Glue the patch in place and mask around with 1 layer of masking tape. with fine files work down to the tape carefully contouring to match the stock. Remove the tape and with backed fine sand paper finish patch. A small coat of a clear epoxy or cyclamate glue should come very close to a match for the finish. A light buff ing and the patch should disappear.

Boolit Grand Master

Chuck a end piece of deer horn or such in the drill and turn it round and mae your own custom plug.

A blued buttplate screw counterunk woud look fine. Or just put swivel studs back on it. A sling on a shotgun comes in handy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Chuck a end piece of deer horn or such in the drill and turn it round and mae your own custom plug.
    Man that's a great idea!

Boolit Buddy
    Well I turned down a brass rod on the lathe but it didn't catch my eye.
    I then filled the hole with J@B weld added a touch more on the black.
    I then redrilled the correct size hole for the Marlin bulleye plug
    Came out very good on the 1100 shotgun.