Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Henry single shot rifle

Boolit Master

Henry single shot rifle

Henry makes a single shot rifle and I would like to hear from anyone with experience with one. I am interested in the .308Caliber and wondering how accurate they are, etc.
    thanks
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    There are a couple of threads on this topic already. I recall the only rifle that is actually in someones hands is a 44 magnum and he seems pleased with it.

Boolit Master
    I made the mistake of passing on a .45-70 Henry single shot rifle, and someone bought it while I was still in the store thinking about it. I like that it had open or iron sights on it. The CVA one does not have iron sights on it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really don't know what CVA is thinking in not putting sights on them. Surely they are aware that someone who just wants a rifle is going to buy a Savage Axis or Ruger American for less money? People who buy single shots nowadays are traditionalists, and most of them will at least want the option of using sights.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I would like to see sights also. I just turned 50 today and can hardly see sights anymore. All I ever used where open sights when I was younger 200 to 500 yards was no problem. Never needed a scope. I do now on everything I own

Boolit Master
    For me, a modern gun will have optics, not open sights. My most current purchase, a Savage Axis, came with a scope and no open sights, the way I wanted it. I have old/black powder guns that have open sights. I'd even put optics on the older guns if period looking optics were not so expensive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    For me, a modern gun will have optics, not open sights. My most current purchase, a Savage Axis, came with a scope and no open sights, the way I wanted it. I have old/black powder guns that have open sights. I'd even put optics on the older guns if period looking optics were not so expensive.
    here, try this:
    https://hi-luxoptics.com/collections...duction-scopes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I really don't know what CVA is thinking in not putting sights on them. Surely they are aware that someone who just wants a rifle is going to buy a Savage Axis or Ruger American for less money? People who buy single shots nowadays are traditionalists, and most of them will at least want the option of using sights.
    It is all about price and how much they have to charge to sell the guns. Thus the iron sights were left off. It technically does save a significant amount of money to leave the iron sights off too. The Henry rifles were selling for $100 more than the CVA rifles.

But as I get older and older, the optical sights become ever more attractive. I do tend to prefer optical sights more nowadays too. But I remember as a teenager out hunting where some of the other guys would accidentally drop their rifles and damage the scopes. Or worse was the scopes that weren't supposed to fog up that fogged up anyway. Thus iron sights would have saved their hunts for them at the time.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-26-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add more information