Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heated hunting clothes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Electric heated long johns have for sure been around for a while too.Remember seeing them advertised in the outdoor mags at least 50 years ago.From what I was told,they worked pretty good too.And not too expensive either.Oh yeah.I realize that those items have been around longer than that,as they "borrowed"the tech from the electrical heated flying suits from before the war.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    The electrically warmed flying suit dates back to mid WW1. The Red Baron wore one he had taken from a British officer he shot down and took prisoner.
    Quite an advantage in the cold lonely skies over France.

Put the large heat packs in the front pockets of your base layer of pants. Being near the femoral arteries it will warm your blood and warm your whole body better. That's what j do and it makes a big difference for me. Try that now before you go and see if it works for you also.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    There is a whole lot of good advice above!

I have a Milwaukee 12V heated jacket, and it does work well. 3 heat settings plus off.
    The XC4.0 battery will last about 5 hrs. max on high.
    Problem is that it does nothing for my feet or hands, which is what gets the most cold the fastest for me.

The toe, hand and foot warmer packs are way more helpful. and easy to carry spares.
    I was thinking of getting the wife a Milwaukee vest but hadn't heard if they worked well.

They have heated suits for both snowmobiles and motorcycles that you can plug in. Never tried them, though as I'm lucky enough to be someone that doesn't feel the cold much.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Years ago my wife sewed pockets inside of my favorite hunting shirt, one on each side in the back about where the kidneys are. In the morning as I'm dressing I drop a large disposable hand warmer in each pocket. Cheap and effective, sometimes to effective and I have to open my coat. My father had an old sleeping bag he cut down and coated the lower part with some rubber compound, he would carry it out to his stand and then slide his feet and legs in, it came up to his waist and worked good but was bulky.
    Good luck on your hunt!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I was thinking of getting the wife a Milwaukee vest but hadn't heard if they worked well.

They have heated suits for both snowmobiles and motorcycles that you can plug in. Never tried them, though as I'm lucky enough to be someone that doesn't feel the cold much.
    O not feeling the cold much one thing I noticed this year was that it bothered me more this year than last year. Since I had plenty of time to think about that while sitting in my stand it occurred to me that I was much less physically active this year than last. This really hit me hard when it came time to drag the deer out.

Thanks for the tip on the snowmobile stuff. I am looking at the heated gloves again now. My brother has a pair and loves them.

The vests/jackets do keep the core warm and their advantage is they can be turned off when it is action time.
    I walk in in the morning with it turned off and open in the front, then close it and turn it on later when I cool down.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Hi Multigunner.Knew that heated flying clothes went back to early 20`s.Did`nt know that they were around for WW1.Thanks for the info.What type of power supply was used?As far as I know,the only electrical source on the WW1 fighters was the magnetos for the ignition system.No throttles either.The pilots used a"Blip Switch" that cut out the ignition to control the engine speed on the ground,and for landing.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Another little bit of trivia.The ROTARY aircraft engines of the time were full loss lubricating systems.Soooooooooooo the pilots got to breathe all those lovely oil fumes.Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.The lubricant of choice for those engines was CASTOR OIL.50 yards to the out house.By Willie makeit and Bett he Won`t.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12