Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help/suggestions

Help/suggestions

Just received my brand new Pedersoli rolling block 45-70, beautiful. My problem is, and I need some suggestions, that during the initial cleaning of the barrel the patches came out and continue to come out looking like rust. I have used kroil, ballistol, hoppes, clp, brushed, wiped and so on. Why is this, I am not a new guy at cleaning but this one has me stumped. The rifle has not been shot other then factory when manufactured. Could the chamber be the casue of the rust color patches? I have used a chamber brush to clean out the chamber without any luck getting clean patches. Any suggestions?????????

Boolit Master

I would use some JB bore paste original formula. Run a patch through the bore back & fourth about 30 strokes then clean and check for any more "rust" deposits.
    If there is "rust," repeat above and call it good.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Hope its the same issue I had with my Pedersoli Rolling Block and Pedersoli High Wall. It wasn't rust but the grease they use to preserve them for shipment. I used soft absorbent patches and acetone to remove it. Took a while but I got it gone. Then, without delay, oil it up.

Which roller did you get?

Boolit Grand Master

Some of the preservatives used now smear rather than wipe off. Try a light brushing with mineral spirits followed by a patch or 2. The problem is this just dilutes the preservative that's I there each time. It may take several applications of this, especially if it is a heavy coating that was applied. You dilute it and remove what the patch can carry but when the solvent evaporates it leaves the thin layer again. Evert time you do this the preservative is dissolved and thinned. JB bore cleaner may lift it but again it will leave a layer behind. One plus to JB is it may also help smooth sharp edges rough tool marks while cleaning. Shooters choice does good at dissolving these preservatives. Hoppes has changes formulation some so not sure there. Gorilla solvent is good also. I would soak it wet for 10-15 mins then patch and repeat several times. Patches should come thru lighter in color each time. The other way is to burn it out by firing a few rounds.

Boolit Master

What country gent said! The preservative I use specifies mineral spirits for removal.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You're experiencing the Pedersoli mystery goo. Nothing to be overly concerned about, it will disappear after a time of shooting and cleaning. Most likely it's something left over from the bluing process.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Toymaker - it is the Adobe Walls with DST 30" barrel very nice. Thank you all for your suggestions, my next solvent try will be mineral spirits and elbow grease - lots of elbow grease LOL

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    my next solvent try will be mineral spirits and elbow grease - lots of elbow grease LOL
    Use a loose patch or wad of cotton to apply and soak the bore. Then let the rifle sit overnight - then brush it. You may have to do this a couple of times
    I had the same issue with the Pedersoli Competition model. Took me 2 weeks to get a clean bore
    Good Luck
    Regards
    John

I have a .36 cal Pedersoli Blue Ridge M/L great rifle, still getting the 'mystery goo' after 15 yrs.Obviously hot water and soap won't get ti out. Rifle shoot perfect I quit worrying about it. I paid $ 125.00 for it and switched it to a rock lock.

This is Pedersoli grease: I used Break cleaner.

Banned

you have what i have, my favorite roller, the .45-70 adobe walls. as already mentioned, what yer experiencing is not a problem. if it doesn't clean up perfectly with patched jag and anything from ballistol to brake cleaner, it will after it's had a few dozen rounds through it. just load some good black powder rounds -greaser or ppb- and enjoy.

Thank you all for your suggestions will try all the suggestions......Merry Christmas

Boolit Master
    Use a spray bomb aerosol of “non chlorinated” (just in case stainless steel*is present) break cleaner spray.
    This stuff shoots powerful spray of solvent to degrease brake discs. You could even cork stopper the muzzle (or breach) and let the solvent work to dissolve the heavy factory preservative for a while. Bronze brush and patch out again to checking the patches if all the preservative got removed. Most likely you need to repeat this process a few times as the brush and patch will spread the grease thinner but back into area that was cleaned. Keep at it, the break cleaner should greatly reduce the cleaning time.
    *clorinated products are known to cause SS to crack.

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem with most of the Italian percussion revolvers..both bore & cyl. chambers. Had same problem with a .22 l.r. barrel that came back after rust blueing..that one had me worried..but bore cleaned up ok & shot fine.

Boolit Master
    Most rifles of any brand have a brown preservative like Alox 2138.
    I just wipe the bore with Hoppe's a couple of times and go shooting.
    EDG