RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Larry Gibson RE: LeverEvolution

Thanks Larry Gibson RE: LeverEvolution

A few years back, when there were shortages of powder, Hodgdon LeverEvolution was on the shelf in my area. Finally found three boxes of Hornady 160 Gr. FTX for my .30-30 and used a pound of the three I bought. Always remembered a post Larry had done on LE in 7.62 x39 loads. Tried out some using the Lee C312-185-R. Only loaded five rounds and shot them out of a Norinco commercial (no bayonet) SKS. This rifle is lucky to put Wolf steel case ammo in a 4" circle at 50 yards. The Lee bullets were within a 1" group + one real flyer at 50 yards. Hallelujah! The L.E. is coming off the shelf. Thanks Larry.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Master
    I wish he would just write a book! He has posted a lot of really useful stuff!

LeverEvolution brass IMO is counterintuitive to our hobby, always short and having to be compensated for.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

I recently purchased a box of 20 35 Remington. Choice was Hornady and something else. Having heard that Hornady brass was short, I compared. Visually, standing on the counter, the Hornady LE brass was the same length as the other offering, and as I recall, $10 cheaper. In my experience, Hornady LE brass is not always shorter.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Seemed to me they were not talking about LE factory loads. But about using LE powder in reloads.

So it seems to me someone came in and made a fool of himself with his comment.

You want to hate, that is fine, go ahead and hate. But it is you that the hate is doing damage to.

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I recently purchased a box of 20 35 Remington. Choice was Hornady and something else. Having heard that Hornady brass was short, I compared. Visually, standing on the counter, the Hornady LE brass was the same length as the other offering, and as I recall, $10 cheaper. In my experience, Hornady LE brass is not always shorter.
    I think it is just the 45-70 Hornady LE brass that is shorter.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I think it is just the 45-70 Hornady LE brass that is shorter.
    444 is also shorter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    I wish he would just write a book! He has posted a lot of really useful stuff!
    I agree. If he did write a book I'd buy a copy, signed by the author of course!
    Charter Member #148

I think y'all mean bookS plural.......one wouldn't be enough.I've compiled quite a notebook of threads I've printed out that have particular interest to me.Good bet Mr.Gibson had a large input in at least 50% of them.Thanks Larry

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I agree. If he did write a book I'd buy a copy, signed by the author of course!
    I would buy a copy. He just helped me with a Die issue by only posting a link. No other words needed.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

30/30 is shorter too. Thinking of trying it in BO too.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Well gentlemen as a long time lurker this thread has brought me out, so let this be my first post. I have been following Larry Gibson's posts a long time actually having done a lot of the things he posts about which has helped me a lot. I am in agreement that he should publish a book, but that is a big undertaking. I think the administration should consider changing the forum's name, because of his great contribution, to something like Larry's Notebook (yes sounds like Hatchers Notebook, but what the heck) or Gibson's Cast Reloading. Who's all for this?

GL

Banned

your ****ting me right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    LeverEvolution brass IMO is counterintuitive to our hobby, always short and having to be compensated for.
    Sorry but you like many are misinformed. Some Leverevolution loads do not require special trimmed brass. Probably the best one of all the 160gr FTX is 30-30 Win uses standard length trim brass.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    30/30 is shorter too. Thinking of trying it in BO too.
    You are wrong. 30-30 uses standard length brass. Please consult your Hornady manual.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
    Well gentlemen as a long time lurker this thread has brought me out, so let this be my first post. I have been following Larry Gibson's posts a long time actually having done a lot of the things he posts about which has helped me a lot. I am in agreement that he should publish a book, but that is a big undertaking. I think the administration should consider changing the forum's name, because of his great contribution, to something like Larry's Notebook (yes sounds like Hatchers Notebook, but what the heck) or Gibson's Cast Reloading. Who's all for this?

GL
    funny stuff right there!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Merry, Merry Christmas!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

gunlover

I do sincerely appreciate the sentiment. However, there are many others who contribute factual knowledge on this forum. I have even learned quite a bit from others on this forum. I may indeed write a "notebook" on cast bullet shooting as many have requested it over the last few years. No need to rename this forum though. Merry Christmas to all.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    gunlover

I do sincerely appreciate the sentiment. However, there are many others who contribute factual knowledge on this forum. I have even learned quite a bit from others on this forum. I may indeed write a "notebook" on cast bullet shooting as many have requested it over the last few years. No need to rename this forum though. Merry Christmas to all.
    Well said Larry, We thank you for your contribution to this great hobby.

Merry Christmas too!
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast